PDA

View Full Version : PA Speaker Out to headphones

Yellowmandolin
Dec-29-2004, 11:55am
I have a small PA system with two speaker outs one the back. I need to have some headphones hooked up somehow. I tried using a spliter but it came out really loud and only in one ear. Is there any way to over come the loundness (perhaps an external volume control) and get the sound to come out of both ears? Thanks.

grant_eversoll
Dec-29-2004, 12:11pm
It will always be loud out of the speaker outs. do you have a line out? you will not get stereo unless you come out of both sides into your head phones.
If you have a stereo board you could sent your speakers out one side with everything paned to that side then plug your phones into the other side and use the pan slider as a volume but you will still just have one side on your phones.

Yellowmandolin
Dec-29-2004, 12:17pm
I do not have a line out for anything other then the speakers. I like the second idea though. I am not sure that the two speaker outs can be adjusted individually though. It seems that there is no way to get sound out of both ears. Would a mono adapter do anything for that? I really don't know, just fishing...

mandroid
Dec-29-2004, 12:36pm
a) what you ask for is an 'L' pad.
they are made to go in speaker cabinets, or in the wall for sound wired houses. #
Stereo means both speakers, and each mixer channel has a pan control so one can assign signal to R,L, or both.
No pan, then its mono gear.
want both earphones to work in mono, an adaptor can be made (or there is one to be bought) TRS tip/ring/sleeve F and mono M, tip and ring are channels, in stereo, #combine to tip (TS) only for mono. sleeve is return/ground
A good kitchen table soldering project..
in addition to Radioshack, A useful online /phone mailorder place is;
www.partsexpress.com
they will even help figure out what you need to buy to do this, and offer a box to put it in...
nice diecast aluminum ones..

glauber
Dec-29-2004, 2:33pm
There used to be a thing called Power Soak (http://www.google.com/search?q=power+soak), for guitar players to practice with their amps set to eleven. I think the company that made it disappeared, but you may be able to find one on eBay (http://search.ebay.com/power-soak_W0QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsorecordsperpageZ 50QQsosortpropertyZ1).

steve in tampa
Dec-29-2004, 5:44pm
There are headphone consoles that you can use plugged into the line out, and get some EQ as well as volume control.

Dennis Schubert
Dec-29-2004, 7:23pm
If you are going to need this very often, bite the bullet and get a PA head with more features including a line out our headphone jack. Or, get a separate mixer (Behringer mini or similar) and use your PA head for a "dumb" power amp. If you only have 2-4 inputs you can buy a mixer like that for under $100.

DPrager
Dec-29-2004, 7:45pm
A line out jack will not provide you with what you want for headphones. Line impedance is much higher than speaker or headphone. This means more volts, but less power. There are simple circuits using 2 resistors (per channel)that are commonly used to get the impedance match you want/need.

mandroid
Dec-30-2004, 9:36pm
$35 bucks (on sale @ MF) for a single mono + 2 stereo channels minimixer, with headphone jack ;behringer, off the shelf, then if you want to drive speakers, sub mix it into the other thing.