PDA

View Full Version : 1922 GIBSON Catalog "N"-- See anybody you know?

Greg Stec
Jun-23-2012, 6:20pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271001954901+

Yes, I know this was posted on mandolincafe's home page.

My point is this: I look at these old catalogs (reprints too) and can not help wondering if some other reader ever saw the picture of an ancestor or somebody they actually knew in them. And if they have, who was it and the relationship.

Lately I've been doing too much family genealogy. SRI.

f5loar
Jun-25-2012, 12:21pm
I know back in the 60's and 70's Loar seekers would track down the people in those photos and go knocking on their doors to find out if they still had the mandolin and if it was for sale. It was easy to find out the famous ones in the photos like Loar, Bauer, Griffith,Bellson, etc and that could lead you to the "nobodies" in the group photos.

Darryl Wolfe
Jun-26-2012, 11:56am
Since this is the only thread on this subject, I will say this: This is the consumate Gibson Loar period catalog. I actively tried to find one from 1976 to 1987. In 1987 I paid the late Henry Garris $100 for one that was missing the cover. Last year I stumbled into a Cat M and a Cat N in nice shape. I have never seen another one for sale except for a very iffy ebay add 6-8 years ago that everyone "passed" on.

Jim Garber
Jun-26-2012, 12:21pm
Phew! I have a feeling this might bring world record for Gibson catalogs.

Darryl Wolfe
Jun-26-2012, 2:10pm
I probably hold the record or close to it. I paid $375 on ebay quite a number of years ago for the "Loar Brochure". It is the only one I have ever held and the only one I have seen for sale anywhere. I bid $450 at the last moment and it closed at $375. This was likely approaching 10 years ago

MikeEdgerton
Jun-26-2012, 3:06pm
Does anyone know what the original Buy It Now price was?

Scott Tichenor
Jun-26-2012, 4:07pm
Believe the original buy it now price was $500. Ended at $472.77. I was in early at $406 and still grinning with 5 seconds to go knowing I probably didn't have a chance. Guessing someone probably bid well over $500. Fun.

Darryl Wolfe
Jun-27-2012, 6:39am
Very interesting auction. I never picked up that there was a buy it now on it. Some things like this cannot be valued in dollars alone. it just depends on how bad you want it.

I can tell you this, I got my Cat M and N off ebay on one single aution for both. The auction was not well written or presented and had few bidders.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-27-2012, 7:53am
Somewhere the guy that told a janitor to throw out boxes of old catalogs is spinning in his grave.

Jim Garber
Jun-27-2012, 8:26am
Somewhere the guy that told a janitor to throw out boxes of old catalogs is spinning in his grave.

If all those collective guys sold those collective janitors not to throw them out, they would not be quite as scarce. This eBay seller is Dave Portman who has a stellar collection of both catalogs and instruments.