PDA

View Full Version : Finger coordination

Jessbusenitz
Jun-21-2012, 10:22am
Ok, does/did your job help you develope finger coordination I do a lot of mechanic, metal fab and woodwork, and am constantly using my fingers. There are still chords though that make me stretch a bit to get, but I still think all that exercise helps. How about you?

OldSausage
Jun-21-2012, 11:06am
Hmm - as a coder, I do a lot of typing. I don't think it helps much.

Justus True Waldron
Jun-21-2012, 11:51am
Hmm - as a coder, I do a lot of typing. I don't think it helps much.

I'll second that. It does give me plenty of time to listen to music and think about what to play when I got home!

mjb128wv
Jun-21-2012, 12:45pm
I try to use the mouse with my left hand and click with my pinkie. Also I try to type without looking at the keys. I think any small muscle movements like that - out of your comfort zone increase the mind/body connection and awareness.

Steve Ostrander
Jun-21-2012, 12:49pm
I was starting to have arthritis issueswhen I was playing guitar. I thought mandolin would be worse, but I find it's actually easier on my hands and fingers. Except for that G chop chord, of course...

Jessbusenitz
Jun-22-2012, 7:44am
I do know that first thing in the morning everything's a little stiff, but come the end of the day, my fingers are a lot more coordinated/ flexible.

Mike Scott
Jun-22-2012, 10:14am
I was starting to have arthritis issueswhen I was playing guitar. I thought mandolin would be worse, but I find it's actually easier on my hands and fingers. Except for that G chop chord, of course...

That's weird isn't it - I have found the same thing. I have kind of small hands so I play three finger chop chords mainly so can't relate to the G thing. My issues on guitar is G7 mainly and C to some extent, so now I am limited to open tunings and E and some D key country blues tunes. Many of the Bossa Nova stuff doesn't bother the fingers either.

KennyE
Jun-22-2012, 11:16am
Well ... just so happens my first vocation was running printing presses. Talk about constant rhythm. I could swear they all ran in 4/4 time. 1,2,3,4; 1,2,3,4. Then we'd do a run of "pads" where we had to slip in chip board every 50 or 100 or whatever the pad sizes were. Certainly helped my develop an innate sense of timing for 4/4. If I concentrated I could make it do 3/4 measures as well. :)

yorick
Jun-24-2012, 7:11am
I'm thinking that even though OS isn't sure coding helps that those of us who do a lot of keyboarding do in fact improve our coordination. The little finger gets a lot of use on a standard keyboard.