PDA

View Full Version : My grandfather's mandolin

fewines
Jun-19-2012, 7:38pm
88174881758817688177Hi everyone. My father was a local bluegrass and southern gospel musician here in South Carolina (his musical career spans from the late 40's to the early 80's). I have two of his instruments and one of them is a mandolin. The other is an acoustic Gibson J45 (I think) that he bought either in 48 or 49. The mandolin was his father's and I know my dad played it when he was a kid and during the earlier part of his musical career when he was a member of "The Hired Hands", a bluegrass band that was pretty popular in the 50's and 60's around here, from what I understand. I have looked all over the internet and cannot find a mandolin exactly like mine. From my very limited knowledge (thank you Google) it looks like a faux shutt. There are no markings and its a bit beat up but sounds amazing (with the strings that are on it...don't know why it doesn't have all 8 strings, but it's been wrapped up and hidden away in a drawer for several years). This seems to be the right place to come and find out what I can about it. I would appreciate any info!!!

allenhopkins
Jun-19-2012, 8:10pm
Harmony made some Shutt-styled mandolins; apparently other makers did too. Here (http://www.vintageinstruments.com/museum/2fauxshuttsfulpage.html) are a couple on the Vintage Instruments website, and the one on the left looks a lot like your grandfather's. But there's no maker's ID on that one either.

Was your dad in the Hired Hands that Snuffy Jenkins and Pappy Sherrill fronted? I know that was a Carolina band. Jenkins was one of the best "pre-bluegrass" finger-style banjoists.

fewines
Jun-19-2012, 8:20pm
Thanks for the link!

Yes that's the one. My dad played with them for several years but that was way before I came along. I have tons of photos and videos as well as a few of the albums which are great. Had the pleasure of spending time with them as a little girl and I vividly remember watching them perform. My dad would perform occasionally with them at reunion shows a few years before Snuffy passed away.
I was pretty lucky to experience some of those performances!! :)