PDA

View Full Version : New Mandolin Coming!

benbonewilly
Jun-17-2012, 5:27pm
I've got a Kentucky KM-171 Oval Hole Mandolin ordered from Folkmusician.com today. It is the best I can afford right now, and I'm very excited!:)

Jimdalf
Jun-17-2012, 5:31pm
Congrats! they're lovely, is it the burgundy or the honey-amber one? or something I'm not aware of?

benbonewilly
Jun-17-2012, 5:43pm
The honey-Amber one and the burgundy ones were sold-out. I believe this one is black. I'm not particular about colors. As long as it sounds and plays well, then that is all I care about. I wanted a mandolin that was versatile, since I sing a lot and want to use it to back up my voice as well as playing various old-time, folk, celtic, and modern stuff. I love listening to bluegrass, but I don't play it too much. I used to have a Kentucky KM-150 that I wish I'd never gotten rid of. They seem to be the best value for the money. I've heard that Folkmusician.com is THE place to buy a mandolin if you buy one online. I read through how the check and set up their mandolins. WOW! I'm impressed.

Thanks!

Ron McMillan
Jun-17-2012, 5:48pm
I bet you get a lot of pleasure out of it. My main instrument now is an oval hole A4, and I love the sound of it. By all accounts Robert at FolkMusician.com does a great job of setting up mandolins he sells, so you'll be whupping the 172 into a frenzy straight out of the box. :)

ron

benbonewilly
Jun-17-2012, 9:13pm
Hey! Thanks Blueron! I sure hope so. Is an A4 a Gibson? I do love the sound of those old Gibson oval hole mandolins, but I can't afford one yet.

robert.najlis
Jun-17-2012, 9:40pm
good move buying from Robert at Folk Musician. Enjoy!

Ed Goist
Jun-17-2012, 10:25pm
Congratulations benbonewilly!
I think you will be very pleased with the KM-171. My first mandolin was a KM-172 and it was an excellent instrument. It's overall quality was really what got me hooked on the mandolin and instruments tuned in fifths.
I still think my KM-170 series mandolin was the best mandolin I have played in the 'under $500' price category.
You're going to love yours!

benbonewilly
Jun-18-2012, 1:06am
Congratulations benbonewilly!
I think you will be very pleased with the KM-171. My first mandolin was a KM-172 and it was an excellent instrument. It's overall quality was really what got me hooked on the mandolin and instruments tuned in fifths.
I still think my KM-170 series mandolin was the best mandolin I have played in the 'under $500' price category.
You're going to love yours!
Thanks y'all. I'm so so so excited to get this guy. I played a bunch of mandolins since I started playing a while back (on and off) and I really like the more mellow warm sound of the round hole ones. Hearing Mike Seeger playing one made me lust after it. LOL! I'd like to become the only church music leader/director the plays mandolin as my primary instrument.

benbonewilly
Jun-29-2012, 3:22am
I just got it today! I LOVE THIS MANDOLIN! I have to give thanks to everyone on the board that recommended it and folkmusician.com. What a difference a good setup makes. My wife is sleeping, but I want to play. I wonder if she really means it when she says how much she loves me. I'm thinking about testing it out. :)