PDA

View Full Version : Latest info.re.Jiri Lebeda

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-14-2012, 1:03am
Through the kindness & courtesy of a fellow Cafe member in the USA who has contact with another highly regarded luthier in the Czech.Republic,i recently found out that Jiri Lebeda is no longer building instruments.:(
Apparently he's had serious domestic problems & has relocated to another part of the Czech.Republic & he decided to quit building. For my part, that's a great pity,as he was certainly one of the best builders of mandolins in that country. I've owned 2 of his instruments & the build quality is second to no other mandolin that i've seen to date.The tonal quality of my current Lebeda is 'for me', as good as i'd ever want,
Ivan:crying:

mandrian
Jun-14-2012, 1:30am
Yes, that is really sad, but I suppose he must have his reasons. I have had two of his mandolins and thought they were great, both in terms of tone and workmanship. I suppose it's always a good sign when you buy another of some luthier's instruments after having bought one for the first time. Anyway, good wishes to Jiri whatever he's up to and thanks for the instruments you have made.

Regards.

Handy Hummingbird
Jun-14-2012, 3:34am
I feel I ought to chime in here, as the owner of Lebeda #52/00; it's a fantastic instrument, built in 2001 and owned by me since 2006. Real shame he's not building anymore, all the best to him for the future.

Beanzy
Jun-14-2012, 9:55am
I know three Lebeda owners.
Only one has bought another mandolin since and they've still hung on to the Lebeda.
For me that says alot about the quality.

foldedpath
Jun-14-2012, 3:21pm
I thought it would be something like that, since the inventory of Lebeda mandolins and resonators had dried up in recent years. They're great mandolins. Mine is a Premium Plus F5 with a redwood top, number 398 made in 2006. It's the mandolin in my avatar over on the left, in front of my Weber OM. It was my first mandolin, and it's still the only mandolin I own (other than a pending bowlback rescue project).

Jiri was a prolific builder, going by those serial numbers. If Handy's No. 52 was made in 2001, and mine was No. 398 just five years later, then that would be something like an average of 70 instruments per year (if I did the math right). I don't know if his resonator guitars were included in the serial numbers.

Whatever the existing number out there is, I can highly recommend them as quality instruments if you run across one at a good price. Seems like many of us are considering them lifetime keepers though. I sometimes think about how it would be nice to own a Heiden, or a Nugget, or something in that range. But it wouldn't be to replace the Lebeda, it would just be a different voice. I'll probably never sell this one, since it's had a few years' of history and memories playing with various folks.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-15-2012, 6:35am
My Lebeda F5 'Special' was made in 2001 & is serial #86. I have to agree with the general sentiment,that Lebedas are 'keepers'.If i had to let one of my 2 instruments go,it would be my Weber Fern. Not because it isn't good,it most certainly is,but the Lebeda has more of what i think of as a 'trad' Bluegrass mandolin tone,deep,resonant & woody. I'd really like to get my hands on one of his "master models",provided that i could sell my Weber of course,
Ivan

swampstomper
Jul-19-2012, 11:14pm
OK, straight from the horse's mouth... I wrote Jiri and he replied, in part "I make the same stuff like before but not in quantity as before.....just a few pieces a year. For getting a high range sound I use as old and aged wood as available and put a varnish or nitro laquer. It takes a longer time to do but it worth it." He's living up in the mountains, near the CZ/D border. Must be good for the soul as well as the wood supply. So all you Lebeda fans, he's older, wiser, and a better builder than ever!

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-20-2012, 1:47am
See my thread in the Builders section - ''Jiri Lebeda still building'',
Ivan