PDA

View Full Version : Smiley bridge Octave

Austin Clark
Jun-08-2012, 8:23am
Thought I would post a couple pics of this octave. The bridge is a prototype from Bill James (James tailpiece) and I really like it on my octaves. It has a broad footprint/balance point that works really well on these instruments with the larger top area. It completely eliminates the tendency of a bridge to tilt.

FWIW, this isn't the only one of these bridges floating around.... A few other builders are trying them out, too. Keep an eye out!

JEStanek
Jun-08-2012, 8:51am
That's similar to the S shaped one Weber uses on their mandolas and larger mandolins. Is there a reason (one way or the other) to have a smiley vs S shaped bridge or is the main intent to stabilize the bridge to prevent tilting. That is, will one shape or the other drive the top in a better manner or is this mostly a stability benefit?

Jamie

PS, that GOM is great looking by the way!

otterly2k
Jun-08-2012, 9:22am
Looks great, and makes SO much sense -- to brace that bridge against the nut-ward tilt. I am curious re: how this shape is positioned in relation to internal bracing, compared with traditional straight-across bridges.

Austin Clark
Jun-08-2012, 9:50am
Bill's intent was that it resist tilting and it definitely does the job.

My octaves are x-braced and compared to normal bridges, it crosses the bracing within a couple mm of where the straight bridge position would be. Dave C. could correct my science here, but it seems that the angle of the feet provide a broader pressure point than a straight bridge while keeping about the same amount of physical contact area. (purely intuitive musings btw!)

billhay4
Jun-08-2012, 10:45am
Nice looking instrument, Austin.
If the bridge crosses the brace at an angle, more of the bridge will rest on the brace. But it's the resistance to tilt that makes this an interesting design to me.
Bill

trevor
Jun-09-2012, 3:54am
Looks good Austin,

Are you putting one on my next GOM? I also love to colour of that one.

mandopete
Jun-09-2012, 12:08pm
I would love to hear a sound clip of this beauty!

trevor
Jun-09-2012, 12:12pm
There's a sound clip of a similar one on my website.

mandopete
Jun-09-2012, 12:50pm
Thanks for the link Trevor!

BTW - I wish more builder and music shops would do something like this. It's really great to get to hear these instruments, even if it's only through my tiny computer speaker.

DPrager
Jun-09-2012, 1:39pm
Hey Pete,

The Smiley Bridge octave lives here in Seattle and it's been making me smile alot. I'm not going to Cashmere, but will in Weiser if you want to take it for a spin.

mandopete
Jun-09-2012, 6:01pm
Yeah, I don't make it over to Weiser. You gonna be a at Darrington?

J Caldwell
Jun-11-2012, 2:35pm
Austin,

Did you ever give the EmTech finish a try?

pjlama
Jun-11-2012, 11:45pm
Beautiful octave Austin. The bridge is cool but the instrument could have an old shoe for a bridge and still be stunning.

Dale Ludewig
Jun-12-2012, 6:48am
There's one of those smiley bridges sitting on a mandolin about 4 feet from me right now. I really like it.
Beautiful work Austin.

Austin Clark
Jun-12-2012, 9:00am
Thanks everyone, I am always so appreciative of the support here!

Jimmy - glad you found us! I only use oil varnish/fp on archtop family instruments but I tried the EM tech on a couple of guitars with "ok" results. I guess I still prefer nitro for that purpose....

Trevor - yours is curing! Shoot me an email if you would like to try the bridge.

Now I've gotta go pack the car and head for the Father's Day Bluegrass festival in Grass Valley! David, I might catch you in Weiser on the way back.

DPrager
Jun-12-2012, 1:49pm
Safe travels to California. We should be at Weiser until Wednesday or Thursday. Wanna hit the Owyhee after???

Jake Wildwood
Jun-13-2012, 12:11am
Gorgeous instrument, and of course the bridge is nice, too.

Personally, as far as "non-tilting" archtop bridges go, I really prefer the wide-rectangle 30s/early 40s Kalamazoo guitar designs since they make contact with the same amount of top as a small pin bridge does. When switching between a less-mass, thin-style (typical) bridge to one of those, sustain and bottom end really gets a boost, though treble cut is creamed-off.

OldGus
Jun-13-2012, 12:40am
......I'll bite. I really like the fishing lure inlay!