PDA

View Full Version : Mas: Rm-1

Mike Pilgrim
May-31-2012, 1:43pm
I have developed a mild to moderate case of MAS for the National RM-1. However, I have never actually played one.

I live near Waynesville, NC. Is there anyone in Western NC who would be willing to let me play their RM-1 for a few minutes, just long enough to raise my MAS level to high? I would gladly buy you a set of strings/lunch.

PM me if this would work for you and thanks in advance.

Ron McMillan
May-31-2012, 1:56pm
You don't have much chance of not raising that MAS level, Michael. I played a friend's RM-1 more than a year ago, and I still hanker after getting one for myself. Beautiful instrument that almost plays itself.

ron

Richard Eskite
May-31-2012, 2:35pm
Go get one. I bought one off the classified last year and love it.

Mike Pilgrim
May-31-2012, 2:36pm
...Beautiful instrument that almost plays itself.

ron

That's what I'm afraid of. :confused:

Trey Young
May-31-2012, 2:40pm
I never really had too much of an interest in these...until I saw the Rich Delgrosso interview and associated videos, so much for the no interest...

greg_tsam
May-31-2012, 3:29pm
I'm feeling it too and have for some time. Dangnabbit and shucky darn it all. MAS ATTACKS!!! And so does Christina Maars and the Asylum Street Spankers which is what first planted the seed of this current version of MAS years ago. Check out this mandolin that Wammo plays. Love the sound and his tasty licks on a cool song.

Kwxesqwte0g

Ron McMillan
May-31-2012, 3:43pm
Rich Del Grosso and Bert Deivert - perhaps the two pre-eminent touring blues mandolin players in the world today (and yes, I admit, Bert is a personal friend of mine) BOTH depend on the RM-1 as their primary gigging instrument. That just about says enough, methinks.

ron

Jim Garber
May-31-2012, 3:52pm
One caveat: these things are loud. I was playing one at Mandolin Brothers and not exactly wailing away and they told me to play more quietly. Tone is pretty sweet tho. I wonder tho in an old time jam whether someone will get truly annoyed.

Ed Goist
May-31-2012, 3:52pm
Rich Del Grosso and Bert Deivert - perhaps the two pre-eminent touring blues mandolin players in the world today (and yes, I admit, Bert is a personal friend of mine) BOTH depend on the RM-1 as their primary gigging instrument. That just about says enough, methinks.

ron

Word!

JeffD
May-31-2012, 3:57pm
I went to my local music store and asked them to get one in. They sell mandolins and guitars and banjos and etc., so they would be able to sell it if I did not want it. I came in, tried it, took it home, and have annoyed my neighbors ever since.

dcoventry
May-31-2012, 4:16pm
To add to the burden, National has added a MAPLE BACK as an option instead of Walnut.

I'm doomed, really. National is in San Luis Obispo where I go for wine work and beef jerky fairly often, and I stop by the place. It's cruel.

greg_tsam
May-31-2012, 4:20pm
Rich DelGrosso moved to Houston last year and I caught a performance at a local blues club. Lots of fun, sounded great but it was amplified so I wondered what if the acoustic sound was any different than the amplified sound.

JeffD
May-31-2012, 4:22pm
That rez has been the occation of a lot of good times.

Shelagh Moore
May-31-2012, 5:15pm
No! Don't do it.... Oh.... too late!

One caveat: these things are loud. I was playing one at Mandolin Brothers and not exactly wailing away and they told me to play more quietly. Tone is pretty sweet tho. I wonder tho in an old time jam whether someone will get truly annoyed.

I play in Irish/Scottish and Old Time sessions with mine. Because it's an inherently loud instrument I can play softly which brings out the sweet tone and allows more subtlety of expression, and I haven't had a problem with anybody so far.

JeffD
May-31-2012, 5:21pm
When I play it in a jam circle, the person across from me winces.

I can kill a fly on the far wall or get a Canadian Goose to look over from across the lake, all with my mighty F#m chord.

When I play it in a large pick up band they put me infront. Not because of my abilities, but because nobody wants to be in front of me.

Seriously, what I have is a greater range of volume, for greater expression. And, if you want, the ability to "crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

Mike Pilgrim
May-31-2012, 5:27pm
One caveat: these things are loud...

That's a selling point. I often play in settings where amplification is not permitted. When I need to plug in, I use (and love) the Manndolins.

Of course, I could get a hot plate pickup for an RM-1. Just thinking out loud here...

samlyman
May-31-2012, 7:46pm
Playing the mando before buying it is a good call.

A couple of things to consider...

The neck width and overall dimension is significantly larger than both my Collings MT2 and A-jr snakehead. This made it difficult for me to accurately fret when going back and forth between instruments.

I have heard the tone of these mandos described as "warm" when using Jazz Mando strings. I used these on my RM1s and still never considered the tone to be approaching warm and certainly not woody by any stretch. If you are not looking for a warm tone then this will not be an issue.

That being said... I had MAS for the RM1 twice! Both times I ended up selling the mandos as what I really wanted as a second mando was a vintage snakehead (which I found from Tim in Portland).

Best wishes,

Sam

JeffD
May-31-2012, 9:47pm
Warm by mandolin standards, ummm.... no. But by rez standards, well now we have a valid comparison. Of the various popular mandolin resonators out there, the RM-1 has the warmest tone. It is a warm resonator.

greg_tsam
May-31-2012, 9:56pm
... And, if you want, the ability to "crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

I just heard my mating call. I want to hear the walnut version. Does anyone have one?

Jim Bevan
May-31-2012, 11:54pm

Not really an RM-1, but it is walnut and has a National cone (although it's a guitar cone), and ya, it's loud, and sweet when played at a normal volume (which is plenty loud enough for any trad session, pipes included).

dcoventry
Jun-01-2012, 12:08am
hmmmmm. Jim, are you showing off the Langell built resonator you had commissioned? If so, low blow my friend. I do believe, I recognize that headstock, and I am in serious envy.

Jim Bevan
Jun-01-2012, 12:15am
Well, ya, that's exactly what I'm doing. ;)

My trying-to-be-humble point is that it was built after my playing a walnut RM-1, and Pete kept to National's specs as much as possible when carving out the chambers.

dcoventry
Jun-01-2012, 12:29am
Well, ya, that's exactly what I'm doing. ;)

My trying-to-be-humble point is that it was built after my playing a walnut RM-1, and Pete kept to National's specs as much as possible when carving out the chambers.

Oh ha, ha. Sadly, that is so, so attractive. Perhaps moreso than what it was based upon? A matter for discussion, but in my humble opinion, that resonator assembly is just so cool. So, so cool.

pickngrin
Jun-01-2012, 12:39am

Not really an RM-1, but it is walnut and has a National cone (although it's a guitar cone), and ya, it's loud, and sweet when played at a normal volume (which is plenty loud enough for any trad session, pipes included).

That is one seriously hot axe. It's like the Millennium Falcon's illegitimate love-child.

EDIT: Jeeze, I missed on first viewing that it's a 10-string. +2 hotness points. Oh, the MAS...

Mandolin Mick
Jun-01-2012, 2:55am
I started a thread on the very same thing about a month ago ... but, I recovered ... ;)

JeffD
Jul-22-2012, 3:29pm
I'm just sayin...

mandroid
Jul-22-2012, 5:19pm
a metal headed Banjo, in a lot of ways..

JeffD
Jul-22-2012, 5:22pm
Goodness, lets hope not. :)