PDA

View Full Version : Nightmares

Jimdalf
May-30-2012, 4:04am
I thought I'd make a play at the dumbest post of the month; I bought a mandocello yesterday, gazed at it lovingly, made some pathetic attempts to familiarise myself with bass clef, made a neurotically minute inspection of every quibbling detail, looked in the thesaurus.

Nightmares though! when I went to sleep I was wracked by dreams of woodworm making huge holes in the soundboard, churning wood dust up onto the surface and wriggling around teasingly in their holes. I finally squashed one, but not before my instrument looked like a swiss cheese.

I am a naturally stressed out nocturnal tooth grinder, I'm curious to know anyone else has had any bizzare mandolin dreams.

Bertram Henze
May-30-2012, 6:11am
I'm curious to know anyone else has had any bizzare mandolin dreams.

A recurring one of mine is that there is a band on stage who are missing one member I am supposed to stand in for. The have lots of weird-looking stringed instruments, but none of them is even remotely GDAE tuned or otherwise mandolin-like. Plus, I know none of the band's numbers.

Jimdalf
May-30-2012, 6:25am
Haha, that's brilliant! are they imaginary instruments?

AnneFlies
May-30-2012, 6:43am
Not a nightmare, just a weird dream. I was playing smoothly, quickly, and in time & in tune with the rest of the Irish session-players, and I knew every tune they played. Since I've been struggling with getting through even one tune with the group, this was a very strange dream.

OldSausage
May-30-2012, 7:22am
The other night I dreamed I went to a mandolinists convention. Boy, they were an odd bunch, but I got to try out some cool mandos.

Mandobart
May-30-2012, 10:33am
Now this is an original thread! Happily I never have mando nightmares. However, I routinely live one of Bertram's. I often go up on stage to play with bands I've never played with, and frequently I know none of their songs. Some call it nightmare, I call it live-fire practice. The audience probably calls it "Glad I didn't have to pay a cover charge to get in."

Bertram Henze
May-30-2012, 10:42am

I guess they must be. Mostly, it's a stylistic mix of medieval renaissance instruments and those "ugliest mandolins" we have so many threads about.

..."Glad I didn't have to pay a cover charge to get in."

That's what I call a positive attitude :)

mommythrice
May-30-2012, 11:57am
I once dreamed about a pack of coyotes eating my mandolins.

G7MOF
May-30-2012, 12:00pm

Is there such a thing as an air mandolin, and if so, is it an A or an F style?

Ed Goist
May-30-2012, 1:46pm
I have had a recurring dream (but just a few times, fortunately) that I am standing on a stage with an instrument (usually nondescript...is it a guitar?, a mandolin?, a violin?, something else? I'm never quite sure) before a very large, quite, riveted audience. All of the audience members are locked onto me, anticipating my performance. Suddenly, it dawns on me that I have no idea how to play the instrument I am holding. At this point in the dream I become overwhelmed with anxiety and I wake up.

Rroyd
May-30-2012, 2:15pm
My worst mandolin dream was the night a school bus ran off the road and through my yard fence, and ran over my Loar, which I had leaned against the fence while waiting for a ride from a band member. I was going to fly back to Nashville and have it repaired, but was worried that the airlines would willingly provide additional damage, so I decided I had better drive. Fortunately I woke up before the situation got totally out of hand.

Jimdalf
May-30-2012, 3:57pm
Is there such a thing as an air mandolin, and if so, is it an A or an F style?

Special care would need to be taken to avoid appearing to do a George Formby impression.

The running theme seems to be to performance anxiety, something I had not thought of.

FrDNicholas
May-30-2012, 4:06pm
Not a mandolin dream, but I once dreamt I was auditioning for Garrison Keillor on Prairie Home Companion but the only instrument I had was my recently acquired concertina. I hardly knew one tune on it at the time and I remember thinking in the dream, "He's had Allistair Anderson on the show!" ( a world class concertina player)

Jimdalf
May-30-2012, 4:11pm
Not a mandolin dream, but I once dreamt I was auditioning for Garrison Keillor on Prairie Home Companion but the only instrument I had was my recently acquired concertina. I hardly knew one tune on it at the time and I remember thinking in the dream, "He's had Allistair Anderson on the show!" ( a world class concertina player)

Strangely, I can imagine that being one of the sketches. Probably one with the sound effects guy being led on a wild goose chase.

hank
May-30-2012, 4:18pm
Since this is becoming a subconscious extension of our waking consciousness may I carry it a step further down the rabbit hole. Have you ever for no apparent reason felt compelled to (you fill in the what. Ex. Buy a mandolin in the classifieds) that later turned out to be a key player in what transpires next to take you to the next level.

nobullmando74
May-30-2012, 4:27pm
I had several before I took delivery of the Campanella F. One where Joe used a belt sander on the back to change the graduations. Another where all of the finish came off in huge plastic like sheets. The first one I was playing it and everything sounded great but then it turned into a really tinny mandolin. I have had dreams about opening up guitar cases and them being filled with water. When I took out the instrument they would fall apart in my hands. :disbelief:

jim simpson
May-30-2012, 10:39pm
Recently I had a dream in which I was to fill in with the Monkees at a hospital auditorium. I had to go out to my car while it was raining to retrieve my mandolin. I couldn't find my way back to the auditorium so never got to actually play with them. Perhap it was the news of Davy Jones' passing that made me think of them, it was a strange dream.

pjlama
May-30-2012, 11:01pm
Trying to fix...

pjlama
May-30-2012, 11:05pm
A recurring one of mine is that there is a band on stage who are missing one member I am supposed to stand in for. The have lots of weird-looking stringed instruments, but none of them is even remotely GDAE tuned or otherwise mandolin-like. Plus, I know none of the band's numbers.

This was reality for me for 10 years being a freelance bass player. You get a good ear fast and can read anything put in front of you or you starve.

Ivan Kelsall
May-31-2012, 1:36am
I've had several dreams involving both my banjo & mandolins. Usually,somehow they get lost. Have you found that often the 'dream instruments' look totally bizzare ?,
Ivan:disbelief:

if6was9
May-31-2012, 2:22am
It must be something in the stars? One or two nights ago, I had a dream in which one of my guitars (Merrill, I think) had been badly damaged by termites. First (and I hope only) time I ever had that dream.

I apologize for the lack of mandolin content, but your recent woodworm dream experience reminded me of this.

Bertram Henze
May-31-2012, 9:45am
I had a dream in which one of my guitars (Merrill, I think) had been badly damaged by termites.

What was the first thing you did after waking up? ;)