PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Rig presets for Electric mandolin

Jim Nollman
May-29-2012, 12:40pm
I've used Guitar 2 and 3 for years, but only for modulating guitars and mandolins during the mix stage of various recording projects.

I'm about to join a new performance production for which I'll spend a lot of time playing a Godin A8. After testing lots of the latest generation of foot pedals, I decided to buy Guitar Rig 5. The GR5 pedal connects to a laptop (or an iPad) via USB, and into the effects loop of any amp.

GR5 has a few incredible features like 70 minutes of looping on four distinct simultaneous channels. One of its less known features lets a user draw the envelope for any (or all) the effects in the pedal chain. This seems especially useful, because the usual guitar-centric pedals for distortion, overdrive, and sustain have never sounded all that good on mandolin (at least to my ears), because they over-accentuate the pick-click, making the sound way too percussive. With GR5, you can draw an envelope that minimizes the attack and maximizes the decay, which alleviates pick click and adds as much sustain as you like.

I'm curious if anyone else here is using Guitar Rig with mandolin, either in recording, or in performance. I'd like to hear what you like about it, and don't like. Once i get my rig, I'd be very interested in swapping presets with anyone here who's using GR5 with mandolin.