PDA

View Full Version : Petersen OM

Avi Ziv
Dec-25-2004, 9:15pm
Hi,

Yesterday I bought a slightly-used Petersen OM, Level 2. This is my first larger instrument, coming from a nice Flatiron A5 Artist. It's a flat top, 22.5" OM, with maple back and sides, spruce top, and mahogany neck. Big sound! I have a lot to learn and I'm very excited about it, so I do have some questions. The first is - do any of you play one of these? I'd love to hear from you and exchange some notes. Of immediate interest is the question of strings. What kind/thickness/brands are suitable for this instrument? It came with, what I believe are, the original strings but I can't tell what they are. The strings are ball-end and I'd be happy to buy then as individuals or sets - whatever makes sense. The second question is - where would be a good place to install a strap button? The OM has an end pin - is it considered ok to use it for a strap? What about a place on the neck side? I have no experience with this. The third question would be - any specific recommendations for a pickup that works well with this instrument? Yes - I am going to contact Mr. Petersen and talk about various things, but I also value the real life experience of musicians who use it.

So, excuse me while I go to put my left hand in tractions as you ponder my questions ;)

Avi

otterly2k
Dec-25-2004, 10:02pm
I don't have a Petersen, but I have a Trillium with the same scale...

re: your strap question... my OM came with an endpin, which is for a strap, but nothing on the neck side. Martin makes a little device to solve this problem... it is a strip of leather that goes around the headstock under the strings, and attaches back to itself on a button that also serves to attach a strap. If you're not sure about where or whether to put another strap button on the instrument, this works without drilling.

re: string gauges, Bob Abrams recommends 12, 22, 32, 45 for the Tril, but I find that a bit light on the E course... I am using slightly heavier strings. You'll have to see what works for you, but that might be a place to start...and of course, ask Mr.Petersen.
KE

Dolamon
Dec-26-2004, 12:15am
Good for you Avi - Peterson's are nice instruments. Congratultions! Generally - I put the second strap pin in the heel block, adjacent to the neck on the treble side. Normally, I sit when I play but I still use a very light, 3 or 4mm nylon cord with two bowlin's tied at each end. Inside the created loop from the bowlin's, I use a 'Lark's Head Knot' which is a twisted pair of half hitches, that loop over the strap buttons. This knot won't come loose, in fact, it can be a challenge to get it off of the button. After fiddling with them for a while I'll find a place where the instrument stays put and will just rest on my right thigh.

I tried a peg head harness and for me - found it pushed the instrument too far back. It felt as if it was constantly trying to find a center balance point. #If you need some help with the knots, let me know and I'll post a picture or two.

The nicest thing about this strap - CHEAP!!!. I regularly will buy about four feet of the cord at a sporting goods store and spend anywhere from #fifty cents to a dollar. And often, the cord is available in some interesting colors and designs.

Avi Ziv
Dec-26-2004, 12:11pm
Thanks - this is good feedback. Jacob - the action seems a little high but of course I have little experience with CBOM's and it may be necessary to reduce buzzing. If you have yours set up the way you like, can you give me some reference measurement of the string height somewhere along the neck? The bridge is not adjustable so I'm not even sure what's entailed in reducing the action on this instrument. Curious that your tailpiece is different and that you are using loop-end strings. Mine takes ball ends that slide in from the back. Instead of a standard cover, there is a block of wood (nice) that's covering the tailpiece. About the strap - yeah, I can see that I would need one since the neck is pulling down and I don't want to be supporting it with my left hand. I'll try to attach one as you both suggested, without modifying the instrument itself and see how that works for me.

Avi

Avi Ziv
Jan-04-2005, 7:09am
I managed to talk with Bill Petersen on the phone yesterday. A real pleasure too! He clearly enjoys what he is doing and patiently answered all of my questions. As far as strings are concerned, he ships his OMs wih the following guages; .012/0.022/.032/.046 . I also found out that he puts together sets of strings (GHS posphor bronze) and sells them for a reasonable price - better than what I could find them as singles. This OM takes ball-end strings. I quickly ordered a bunch. I asked about the action and he told me that tries to set them up so that the top-of-12th-fret to bot-of-string is 2mm for the high (E) string and 3mm for the low (G) string. At least this gives me a reference to check mine. If I was closer to him geographically, I would certainly take my OM in for a re-check and setup. I asked about recommendations for a pickup and found out that he makes his own contact transducers and installs them. He can recommend a specific location for the transducer too. Good to know. These are all details but I thought I'd share them, in case someone else has similar questions.

And now....back to contemplating the pros and cons of alternative tunings while stretching my fingers http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Avi

Avi Ziv
Feb-17-2005, 1:47pm
Hi again,

I'm looking for recommendations for a capo that would work well for my Petersen OM - any suggestions? I have it strung in unison so I don't have to worry at this moment about capo'ing across octave strings.

Thanks,
Avi

Amandalyn
Feb-17-2005, 6:32pm
The best capo out there now IMO is the G7th Performance Capo. Made in England, it's designed for 6 & 12 str guitars, but I have used it on my mandolin & Octave. What's special about it is it can be adjusted in tiny increments, and does not pull out of tune. It uses a wrap spring clutch design. For more info contact:
info@musicgrowshere.com

otterly2k
Feb-17-2005, 10:10pm
wow! I've used Shubb for years (always found Kyser's too awkward) but that's so SLEEK! very appealing...what does it generally cost?

Mandobar
Feb-17-2005, 10:52pm
at xmas time they were $29.99. i bought two. musiciansfriend.com has them at $39.99 now.