PDA

View Full Version : Newly restored "His Majesty's" mandolinetto

Tavy
May-28-2012, 10:15am
It's been a long (too long at times! :( ) time coming but I've finally completed this little wonder. When I got this one, most of the braces were rattling around inside, and those that weren't were poking out through the sides... shrunken back has been extended width wise with new wood (while retaining the original painting on the back), sides have been repaired where the braces had poked through, and the whole lot tidied up.

Label inside reads the usual:

By His Majesty's Royal Letters Patent
No 2272
The Neapolitan Mandoline Co.

I know some folks were interested to hear how this one sounds, so there's a sound clip as well. Enjoy :)

billhay4
May-28-2012, 10:35am
Very nice sounding instrument. Looks good, too.
Bill

brunello97
May-28-2012, 11:28am
Very nice, John. I've wanted one of these for awhile, I admit, and have come up short in bidding when they appear on the ebay. They have bigger bodies (and my hunch, thinner tops) than the 'mandolinettos' we see over here.

You got some nice arch back into the top. Was this from the original braces or new ones you made for it?

Mick

Tavy
May-28-2012, 12:13pm
Very nice, John. I've wanted one of these for awhile, I admit, and have come up short in bidding when they appear on the ebay. They have bigger bodies (and my hunch, thinner tops) than the 'mandolinettos' we see over here.

You got some nice arch back into the top. Was this from the original braces or new ones you made for it?

The top's only slightly arched - nowhere near that of a typical bowlback for example. The braces on the top are original and didn't need regluing, the brace on the back are also original, but were the ones rattling around inside.

Not sure about the bigger body - it's not very deep certainly - but it is quite wide which no doubt helps deepen the resonances.

Jake Wildwood
May-28-2012, 11:32pm
Nicely done. I'm impressed with the work on the back. It's nice to see how carefully you work on these guys.

Was this a back-off reglue of the braces or did you squeeze glue under, shim-clamp them, and wipe off? Loose back braces are my least favorite kind of loose brace.

trevor
May-29-2012, 2:29am
That's a great job John.

Tavy
May-29-2012, 3:15am
Nicely done. I'm impressed with the work on the back. It's nice to see how carefully you work on these guys.

Was this a back-off reglue of the braces or did you squeeze glue under, shim-clamp them, and wipe off? Loose back braces are my least favorite kind of loose brace.

It was back off, graft new wood into the sides where the braces had poked through, graft new wood into the back where it had shrunk width wise, put in some new kerfed linings (originals seemed to be cardboard, OK probably not actually cardboard, maybe some kind of early fiber board?) and then reassemble. That all went quite smoothly, conserving the back was the hard part, seemed like big chunks of paint were dropping off every time I looked at it :( Thank heavens for good ol' sticky shellac!

Here's a couple of "before" and "during" repair:

billkilpatrick
May-29-2012, 3:47am
complimenti, john - beautiful, both sounding and looking - great job.

Bernie Daniel
May-29-2012, 7:01am
Wow you did a great job on it and it was clearly worth the effort. The sound is lovely and clear and it seems to have wonderful sustain.

amowry
May-29-2012, 10:03am
Nice work. It looks like the French polish came out great.

Earl Kayoss
May-29-2012, 8:14pm
awesome job.
congrats.