PDA

View Full Version : Round body pearl inlaid mando

Mainesailor_2
May-25-2012, 9:03pm
Hello, I have a chance to buy a mando with round body, extensive pearl inlay, but no ID marks of any kind. I like the inlay work, but have no idea what this might be worth- any thoughts?

Thank You!

MikeEdgerton
May-25-2012, 9:07pm
You can buy them on eBay weekly. They are made in Vietnam by a number of people and sold on eBay by guys like antoniosai, brueceweiart, and inlaidartist in Taiwan. They don't cost a whole lot generally and the shipping might be more than the actual instrument.

Here's (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOVELY-GIRL-INLAY-SOLID-ACACIA-KOA-BANJO-MANDO-8-STRINGS-HANDWORK-4016-/230796898626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bc913142) one with a $1.35 bid and $100.00 shipping.

Go to eBay and do a search using the keywords mandolin and inlay. You'll see F5 models and many others.

Glassweb
May-25-2012, 9:35pm
I saw one of those played on that show "Pimp my Mandolin"... stylin'!

allenhopkins
May-25-2012, 10:47pm
Crapshoot (not necessarily a pejorative term). Some OK, some not. "Cottage industry" products from Vietnam. Solid woods, lotsa bling, odd designs. Cafe members have reported problems with insufficiently seasoned wood, over-fillered inlays falling out, undependable metal parts. Others have acquired bargains, decent instruments at rock-bottom prices. Your call.

Mainesailor_2
May-26-2012, 6:49am
THANK YOU all VERY much! I found this on Craigsklist and didnt know where to start but adore Pearl work and the pics blew my mind- now having done some research based on everyone's help I see the light- I will say that even from Vietnam I'm baffled by the prices out there knowing what Pearl costs (in the interest of full disclosure I'm the Business Manager of Bourgeois Guitars) and how long it takes...

I recently bought an F5 Loar because, well, it was too beautiful not to...and surprisingly I like plaing it better than guitars! This site is such a wonderful resource- thank you all for such a striong sense of community!

Ben Milne
May-26-2012, 9:52am
If you can afford an F5 Loar and you like the pearl inlay, it could very well make a cheap wall hanging for you.

Chip Booth
May-26-2012, 1:38pm
I'll go out on a limb and suggest he means The Loar.

MikeEdgerton
May-26-2012, 1:47pm
I think you're on the right limb.