PDA

View Full Version : Look what was under the tree

Flowerpot
Dec-25-2004, 2:17pm
I can't believe the wife went and got me this wonderful surprise for Christmas. Those of you who have tried this one out know it's one of the sweetest sounding things ever made, and it's beautiful too, and it plays itself. I can't get over it. I choked up really bad when I opened up the case (OK, I cried like a baby) -- what a fantastic present.

Russ Jordan
Dec-25-2004, 2:35pm
Congratulations, what a beauty! Seems to me you have a mighty fine wife, too!

Brian Aldridge
Dec-25-2004, 3:54pm
If you ever want to get rid of her, let me know. Your wife I mean.

jasona
Dec-25-2004, 3:54pm
Congrats! What a beauty!

SternART
Dec-25-2004, 4:05pm
Both "keepers"!

mandomick
Dec-25-2004, 4:44pm
#I choked up really bad when I opened up the case. (OK, I cried like a baby)
That's OK, I cried like a baby when it was sold. A world class mandolin and a world class wife, congratulations!

Flowerpot
Dec-25-2004, 5:02pm
Thanks, all. I've been playing it now for a while, letting it get over the shock of transport with strings slacked down. It's starting to get its voice back, incredibly deep, smooth, and responsive. Yep, I've got a couple of keepers here.

Lane Pryce
Dec-25-2004, 5:45pm
Saa-Weeeet!!!World class wife and axe. Lp

Brian Aldridge
Dec-25-2004, 8:53pm
post a picture of the wonderful woman who bought that for you. She deserves some recognition.

Flowerpot
Dec-25-2004, 11:25pm
OK, by popular demand, here she is as we were taking our twins home from the hospital. Now they're 2, and I've got a thousand pictures of the kids and about four of her (none of which met her approval) and one that has myself in it... I'm sure parents can relate. But here is my nominee for wife of the year... did I mention she takes care of our twins full time and cooks great fried chicken and mashed potatoes?

More pics of the mandolin later if I can put it down long enough.

Brian Aldridge
Dec-25-2004, 11:53pm
You certainly have much to be proud of and thankful for. Thanks for sharing so much. I don't know how you have time for the mando with two two year olds! Job well done.

RI-Grass
Dec-26-2004, 8:24am
Wow! You are definitely one of the lucky ones. Best of luck with the new mando.
Sal

Ken Berner
Dec-26-2004, 2:51pm
The only word I can come up with for your situation is "BLESSED"! Great wife and children, and the mandolin isn't too shabby either.

Bradley
Dec-26-2004, 3:29pm
Ok, you can keep the mandolin.....

But is it too late for some of that Chicken and Taters??

Congratulations on a great axe and even more so on having something money cant buy, a great Home !!

Mike Crocker
Dec-26-2004, 4:56pm
Does she have a sister?

Merry Christmas, Mooh.

avanti
Dec-26-2004, 5:30pm
Flowerpot, I corrected Hans after he posted the ad and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind if I told you that the mandolin was actually made in 2001, not 1999. I first met Hans by chance at Hoffman Guitars in Minneapoils late in January 2001. I had just started to play the mandollin after a long hiatus (inspired by serendiptiously meeting Charlie Derrington at my brother's church in Nashville the previous fall). I then built him a website and ordered the first of my three Brentrups. He built the German 23V just before my Red 23L, and we traveled with them to the Kaufman camp in June 2001. I was so excited to extoll the virtues of this great builder that I was accused of "shilling" by another camp attendee (who is also now a Brentrup owner). Anyway, I could go on and on, and may at a later date, but I just got back in town after Christmas with the in-laws and have to attend to practical matters. You can see some photos that a professional photog friend of mine took of both these mandolins here (all except last two photos): Webshot album (http://community.webshots.com/album/17189545QmtRqZgruF)

Rob

Flowerpot
Dec-27-2004, 1:38pm
Thanks for the info, Rob. It is indeed a 2001.

Here's some more eye candy -- from my own camera. This mando looks good from any angle!

Flowerpot
Dec-27-2004, 1:40pm
Another...

Flowerpot
Dec-27-2004, 1:41pm
Yet another...

jasona
Dec-27-2004, 1:43pm
*drools*

Flowerpot
Dec-27-2004, 1:45pm
And one more.

Thanks for all the kind words -- I am for sure a very lucky guy in more ways than I can count. Thanks, Hans, for the great craftsmanship and for helping this happen.

Dec-27-2004, 2:12pm
I think that is the sweetest thing. Conradulations!Christmas really is something quite special