PDA

View Full Version : kay mandolin

didimauw
May-25-2012, 2:56pm
hey guys, im new to the forum. been getting alot of good information from everyones posts, so i thank you for that! i have an older kay a style mandolin, not vintage i dont think, ill get model info later, but does anyone know if those are solid wood or laminate?

kev

F-2 Dave
May-25-2012, 3:55pm
Most likely laminate. Can you post a picture?

didimauw
May-25-2012, 7:04pm
Most likely laminate. Can you post a picture?

I will in a day or so. Pretty sure its the all maple one. The Blonde

. But ill have a Pic soon.

MikeEdgerton
May-25-2012, 9:00pm
You really need to post a picture. Kay advertised their 30's instruments as laminated. To them it was a feature. If it's an imported Kay it's for sure laminated.

didimauw
May-25-2012, 9:57pm
You really need to post a picture. Kay advertised their 30's instruments as laminated. To them it was a feature. If it's an imported Kay it's for sure laminated.

a feature? like they were proud of it? im almost positive its not that old, probably 70's. ill have a pic tomorow.

kev

MikeEdgerton
May-25-2012, 11:13pm
If it's from the 70's I'm going to bet it's laminated and yes, Kay sold their laminated instruments as a feature. I'm guessing it looks like this:

MikeEdgerton
May-25-2012, 11:13pm
If indeed it does then it looks like all of these (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?79118-Key-Brand-Info) as well.

didimauw
May-26-2012, 7:59am
haha yup looks just like that one lol. and i suppose laminate is a sturdier way of building instruments.

Fretbear
May-26-2012, 9:02am
Welcome to the club; lots of us started out on those. If you keep it for awhile to learn on it is worth having a proper sized adjustable ebony bridge fitted to it; that will do more to help out it's tone than anything else.

EdHanrahan
May-26-2012, 9:17am
... keep it for awhile to learn on ... ... and then keep it longer anyway, because everyone needs a beater. Remember: sometimes it rains and sometimes the neighbor's kid likes to throw the dessert. And, uhmm, sometimes the beer slips out of your hand!

didimauw
May-26-2012, 9:55am
yes thats true, i was reading another thread last night, and i need a good mando to walk around in the woods with and stuff! haha

its funny that you say that, as someone who is newer to the mandolin world, i have that older kay mandolin, and a newer rogue mandolin. i always thought of the kay to be the "beater" of the two, but really i think that goes for more money these days. ive spent all my money on guitars for years. so its time for me to go lookin for a nice mando! im love struck. haha

MikeEdgerton
May-26-2012, 2:01pm
It's called MAS.... Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome. It occurs naturally.

didimauw
May-26-2012, 2:21pm
ohhhh yeah ive heard of that.....very serious disease! im gettin married soon and have a child on the way, this could get ugly! hahaha

i suppose theres only one medicine for this huh? ...

MikeEdgerton
May-26-2012, 4:09pm
As far as I know there is no cure.

SincereCorgi
May-26-2012, 4:34pm
Anybody happen to know if they build a 'good' version of those Kay Kraft-looking mandolins, with the 'Florentine' shape? I love the look of those things.