PDA

View Full Version : January tune

Bluegrasstjej
Dec-25-2004, 5:35am
So, for January we're to learn a waltz, huh? Where do I find recordings or midi/sheet music for these waltzes? They don't exist on Mandozine and I don't have a clue what to vote for when I haven't heard them (or heard about them)! Can anyone help? It'll be hard to learn one too without recording or sheet music..

Wendy Anthony
Dec-25-2004, 8:57pm
All of these waltzes can be found in the TablEdit Waltzes Archive (http://www.mandozine.com/music/search_results.php?searchfor=&category=Waltzes) at MandoZine ... good thing ... most of them are new to me too!

Keepin' tuned ...
Wendy Anthony

Dolamon
Dec-25-2004, 11:55pm
You might want to take a look at "Cowboy" Waltz - which has a long tradition as a Western Swing tune.

Bluegrasstjej
Dec-26-2004, 8:51am
Oh! That's great. I didn't realize there actually was a waltz zip file there, thought they'd be on bluegrass or oldtime or something. Thanks a lot!

Pattroglyph
Dec-27-2004, 10:26pm
Down Home Waltz is one not to forget. Loads of tremelo. Who was that Buck White? who did that one?

Wendy Anthony
Dec-28-2004, 3:27pm
Buck White's Down Home Waltz (originally recorded by Down Home Folks, on That Down Home Feeling)is on Disc 1 of Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza, played by Buck White, Ronnie McCoury and David Grisman.

Keepin' tuned,
Wendy

MandoJimbo
Dec-28-2004, 5:00pm
Westphalia Waltz is also a pretty popular tune here in Texas...

Bluegrasstjej
Jan-05-2005, 9:50am
How are you doing with the waltz? I've listened some to it and can't manage to get it into my head. Maybe I'll jump this month and work on some misc musings instead.

Martin Jonas
Jan-05-2005, 10:47am
As it happens, my recording of Westphalia Waltz, which I had recorded last March (I think) was sitting in the Misc Musings folder for a few months. #It is now gone, so I guess I'd better re-record it. #I think I'm playing a bit more consistently now anyway. #If you're having difficulties with the MandoZine TablEdit file, I very much recommend this (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab1/west2.html) version from Nigel Gatherer's site. #I found it fairly straightforward, especially as you can just play the top note of each of the three double stops and it'll sound just fine. #This version also has the advantage of being a transcript of the track on "Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza", so if you have that CD, you can play along with it. #I've tried it, it works.

Martin

levin4now
Jan-05-2005, 1:04pm
Westphalia Waltz is also on Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza. Sweet tune. Gonna be hard for me to play.

Last night I tried to upload GRYMG, but it would carry it all the way through. I got a 'page not found' error.

Milan Christi
Jan-05-2005, 1:08pm
Could someone please explain to me how this works? I'm guessing you're posting recordings to another website but I haven't been able to find it. Are there some general rules or guidelines posted somewhere?

Thanks in advance!! Sorry for the ignorance - just blame it on the "newbie!!" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

sbarnes
Jan-05-2005, 3:58pm
mc gitarz
go to:
www.mandolinproject.150m.com
and follow the instructions
post the music there (when it's working) and talk about them here....

Milan Christi
Jan-05-2005, 4:19pm
Many Thanks!
I found it - and I'll get busy.

Martin Jonas
Jan-09-2005, 12:09pm
I've just uploaded my new version of Westphalia Waltz to the Yahoo site. This is my first "public" attempt at double-tracking with Audacity and it worked better than I expected (helped by the fact that this a slow tune with a somewhat loose approach to timing anyway, at least how I play it). This arrangement is heavily based on Nigel Gatherer's transcription (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab1/west1.html) of the Jesse McReynolds/Bobby Osbourne version from Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza. I created a harmony part by splitting all of Nigel's double-stopped tremolos and playing the lead and harmony notes on different mandolins.

The lead part is played on my double-topped Ceccherini bowlback; the harmony part is played on the F5-clone (Washburn M3-SW). They blend together better than I was expecting -- maybe there is a place for bowlbacks in bluegrass after all.

Martin

Bluegrasstjej
Jan-09-2005, 4:01pm
Thank you lots Levin!! I downloaded the tune from Bluegrass Extravaganza, they make it sound really nice! I think I'll actually be able to learn this thing.

craig
Jan-10-2005, 10:03am
martin,

great job with this tune. the tracks sync well and you have a steady tremolo going on that bowlback! it's amazing how different they sound. this tune really lends itself to that.

thanks!

craig

levin4now
Jan-10-2005, 10:18am
What makes a waltz a waltz? Any tips for getting a waltz feel?

Bluegrasstjej
Jan-12-2005, 10:25am
Martin,
Sounds great!!!!!!!!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
Susanne

Bluegrasstjej
Jan-13-2005, 2:24pm
Alan:
A steady 3/4 time and some nice tremolos.

craig
Jan-14-2005, 10:14am
check out susanne's new upload (bluegrasstjej, ennistraveler) for Westphalia Waltz. this is how it's done!

susanne,

amazing! it's incredible how much you have progressed!! the tempo is perfect and i love your tremolo on this one. beautiful work!! thanks!

craig

Bluegrasstjej
Jan-14-2005, 3:53pm
Thanks a lot, Craig!!!
Just a comment, I did this recording is done while listening to the midi file in earphones, otherwise I would have screwed up the timing a lot more.

But, generally I'm quite satisfied with it!

levin4now
Jan-18-2005, 9:23am
Great job susanne. I didn't know you were ennistraveler. What does it mean?

Bluegrasstjej
Jan-18-2005, 11:47am
It simply means that I was traveling to Ennis some month ago.

Bluegrasstjej
Jan-20-2005, 12:17pm
Dave (Plantecology): Your recording rocks!!!!!!!!! I just love it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Dave Hicks
Jan-20-2005, 1:17pm
Thanks, Susanne. I'm not happy with some of the bends in the guitar section, but so it goes. Yours came out well - like being inside a music box!

D.H.

Martin Jonas
Jan-21-2005, 10:05am
Sbarnes -- great rhythm. #You got the waltz time going great, makes me want to hit the dance floor (if any of you had seen me dance, you'd know that that's not a good idea!). #It also makes me think that I should have put a rhythm track underneath my version; I didn't get that sort of swinging feel with my lead and harmony parts. #How many tracks do you have in that recording? One guitar and two (or three?) mando tracks?

Dave -- very impressive recording. You seem to be departing very substantially (and very well!) from any version of the tune that I have ever heard. Did you improvise that during the recording itself, or did you arrange your variations in advance?

Martin

Dave Hicks
Jan-21-2005, 10:50am
sbarnes - Good job. Sounds like a Viennese pastry!

Martin-

Well, the basic melody is there, probably followed most closely on the guitar parts. #I took the melody and setting from the Fiddler's Fakebook, but it's pretty similar to the version on Johnny Staats/Robert Schafer's Picking Up Steam album.

I'm rather slow to learn tunes, so "mistakes" might be a more accurate term than "improvisation". #By the time I do learn a tune, I've figured out a number of, ummm, alternative ways to state the melody, and sometimes my fingers find them more easily than the actual melody.

D.H.

sbarnes
Jan-21-2005, 9:20pm
thanks for the compliments.....
there's a bass track, 1 guitar, and 3 mandolins....(melody, harmony and chop)....
i usually try to add a guitar counter melody but couldn't seem to find one for this tune (my other tunes are under the name 'grits1331'..

Mandobar
Jan-26-2005, 8:02pm
i love susanne's version. wherever you are susanne keep up the good work!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

craig
Jan-28-2005, 1:26pm
plantecology,

i'm sorry. i don't know what happened to your upload for Westphalia Waltz. can you e-mail it to me again? i'll get up on the site ASAP.

cheers,

craig

craig
Jan-29-2005, 4:12pm
dave,

love it!! this is a keeper! love the mix of mando and country twang. thanks a lot for this upload.

cheers,

craig

mandolooter
Jan-30-2005, 1:30am
"I'm rather slow to learn tunes, so "mistakes" might be a more accurate term than "improvisation". By the time I do learn a tune, I've figured out a number of, ummm, alternative ways to state the melody, and sometimes my fingers find them more easily than the actual melody."

D.H.

Man I couldn't have said it better! That is exactly my problem and I get looks at every jam when "Jeff's version" rings outta my mando! I find I have the most trouble keeping my version in time when playing with others and attribute that to 2 things, first ME, I don't practice with my metronone enough and can't read hardly a lick of music and 2. Folks seem to try to adjust to me/my version and that makes it impossible for me to get on track. It sometimes takes me one full run thru the melody to get on track but once I do I can sound pretty good with my "Jeffercized" version. I sometimes feel like never trying to learn a new song since it gets frustrating as heck at times. My playing by ear has improved a lot lately and I seem to do my best when I DON'T know the song and am flying by the seat of my pants and have many recording of myself to prove it. I've yet to post a song other than in the Misc. Musings catagory due to this but will at some point, so far the only song I've manged to learn from the list was Red Haired Boy but I've given em all a try. Its a great thing tho and every time I checkout the latest offerings I've been impressed! My thanks to Craig and everyone else whose helped, posted etc.
Jeff