PDA

View Full Version : help

guitargain
May-13-2012, 8:30pm
I am a first time poster. Just recently borrowed a cheap mando from a cousin and now have to go and buy one. I have played guitar for 35 years and now want to learn mandolin. I am going to be purchasing one soon and wanted some opinions. In my price range I have narrowed it down to two that I am thinking of buying. Either a Michael Kelly Legacy Dragonfly in distressed finish, or a Morgan Monroe MDM-1. Help me with whatever you think might be applicable. Good bad or in between comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
May-13-2012, 10:09pm
Have you played either of these? What was it you borrowed? I have no opinion on either of the 2 you mentioned but they are not held in high regard among posters here on the cafe, however, if you played one and it spoke to you then by all means get it. The general advice is play as many as you can before you buy and A styles offer more value for the dollar than F styles. Hope you find a mandolin that works for you. Good Luck.

allenhopkins
May-13-2012, 10:20pm
OK - you've picked two F-model mandolins by manufacturers who aren't at the top of the Cafe "most preferred" lists. Let's run through the usual catechism:
1. For the same price, you get more acoustic quality from an A-model, without the carved scroll and points which are almost entirely ornamental.
2. Both mandolins are all solid woods, which is good. The Morgan Monroe, however, doesn't list "carved top" in its specs, leading me to infer that its top is pressed into shape, which is not as good as carved. The Kelly says "carved top, back and sides," but not hand-carved, so again we infer that it's carved by machine.
3. For significantly less ($450 vs. $600, discount pricing), you can get a Loar LM-520, which is nowhere near as shiny and pretty, but is all solid woods and hand-carved. For about the same price (again, discounted), you can get a Kentucky KM-805, which is a really nice, all-solid-wood, hand-carved instrument. Both the Loar and the Kentucky are F-models, so you get the "looks like Bill Monroe's" scroll and points, which seem to appeal to you.
4. Whatever you buy, get a good pro set-up, which means either paying a bit more to purchase from a dealer who does good shop set-ups, or paying your local mandolin maven to set it up for you after you get it. There's a lot more tweaking goes into a mandolin than an acoustic guitar, since the bridge is both movable and adjustable for height. Don't "scrooge" in this area.

There's a bit of concern when a new mandolin player is drawn to the flashier, but not necessarily acoustically better, lines of Asian imports. I understand the appeal of the F-model silhouette, and MK's and MM's shore do look purty. And, there are a lot of them around, in stores and on-line. Doing a bit of reading here on the Cafe -- these "what mandolin should I get?" threads come along almost daily -- will acquaint you with the "conventional wisdom" as promulgated by the Cafe intelligentsia.

But, really, get the mandolin set up. That's probably more important than which model you buy.

guitargain
May-14-2012, 11:10am
Thanks for the comments. No I haven't played either, but a friend does have two MM that I will play before I buy whatever I decide to get. I will also make an attempt to play the Michael Kelly as well, but since I live in the boondocks it will be a trip of some distance to do that. And I'm not sure I agree with the "as shiny and pretty" as the others. I think the two you mentioned are awesome looking with a more traditional look. I didn't care as much about the ornamental aspect of the inlays as I like the disressed or antique finish. Anyhow I haven't made a firm decision on absolutely what I will buy I just said those are two that I have narrowed down to. I asked the question to do exactly what you did, give me some other options that I will definately consider and I wasn't able to find the discounted price you spoke of on the Kentucky but I will keep looking. I did however see that the mandolin hut has the Loar LM-520. I would consider buying either the LM-520, or possibly the LM-600 vs or LM-500 vs. I was also wondering how important a radiused fretboard is. I have read some of the posts concerning this and it seems it's a personal choice some like it some don't care one way or another.

guitargain
May-14-2012, 11:19am
And after reading a bit more and looking at them, I think I will now focus on a Loar. Probably the LM-600.

allenhopkins
May-14-2012, 11:20am
...I wasn't able to find the discounted price you spoke of on the Kentucky but I will keep looking....

Listed for $713 here. (http://www.amazon.com/Kentucky-F-Model-Mandolin-KM-805-Amberburst/dp/B001OQC6Z6)

At that price, probably "out of the box" with no set-up, though.

Tim2723
May-14-2012, 11:27am
And do pay attention to that seeming detail: Get it set up. No matter the make or model, a proper set up is critical to mandolin success. Some guitars might play alright 'out of the box' just as your average trombone plays perfectly well from the factory, but not so the mandolin. Just the nature of the beast.

guitargain
May-14-2012, 11:35am
Thanks and I get it about the setup. I will probably buy from folkmusician.com unless I can find them locally. I just read what their setup entails and it seems that they have it down pretty good.

Tim2723
May-14-2012, 11:36am
Folk Musician is a great resource. And welcome to the Cafe!

dang
May-14-2012, 11:39am
It is funny, because in retrospect I would have not bought the starter mandolins that I bought along the way. But without having owned those mandolins and played them I would not know all of the things I now know I want in a mandolin....

The general opinion around here seems to be that the Loar brand is the current front-runner for starter mandos (I have never played one). When I started playing every mandolin at local stores were cheap pac-rim and I had no idea of what a good mandolin was. If you are lucky you have a friend who does.

I like a radius in my fretboards, it seems to make them easier for me to play (less hand pain with extended playing). YMMV

Jim
May-14-2012, 11:45am
If you like F style consider the Rover RM 75

guitargain
May-14-2012, 11:46am
Folk Musician is a great resource. And welcome to the Cafe!

Thanks for the welcome Tim.

guitargain
May-14-2012, 11:47am
I like a radius in my fretboards, it seems to make them easier for me to play (less hand pain with extended playing). YMMV

I'm thinkin I would probably like it too, but I don't see where the Loar's have it. Oh well.

Willie Poole
May-14-2012, 12:13pm
I`m not sure where Taylor Fla. is but I have looked around for a good shop down there and haven`t found one worth a hoot, The Guitar Shop doesn`t do any set ups as I know of and most of the places only carry junk mandolins....Google "Mandolin shops in Fla." and see what pops up and contact some and see if they offer set ups along with their prices....

Like Allen stated, play as many mandolins as you can and when the right one comes along it will speak to you....

Good luck.....Willie

guitargain
May-14-2012, 12:18pm
I`m not sure where Taylor Fla. is but I have looked around for a good shop down there and haven`t found one worth a hoot, The Guitar Shop doesn`t do any set ups as I know of and most of the places only carry junk mandolins....Google "Mandolin shops in Fla." and see what pops up and contact some and see if they offer set ups along with their prices....

Like Allen stated, play as many mandolins as you can and when the right one comes along it will speak to you....

Good luck.....Willie

Thanks Willie, It's near Jacksonville, but j-ville doesn't have any places that specialize in that. There are some that sell them but don't really set them up that I know of. there is a pretty good one in Waycross, Ga. that's an hour and a half away. probably will ride up there and see what they have to offer.

Tim2723
May-16-2012, 6:59am
Hi Guitargain,

Nothing to do with mandolins, but thanks for coming back and acknowledging the responses you've received. That's cool and polite. It irks me when somebody logs on, gets a lot of free advice, and doesn't even say thanks. You're OK by me, and welcome to the Cafe.

Randi Gormley
May-16-2012, 9:07am
Well, I'll put in a plug for Eastman, just because they're hand-carved solid wood with a radius fretboard. Not a big, dark sound, of course, but nice on the high end (at least mine).
And welcome to the cafe!

guitargain
May-16-2012, 11:20am
Thanks Tim, it's only polite as you said to interact if your going to ask for advice. I have looked at the Eastman's Randi and am still considering all the options since it might be a little while before I have the money to buy.

Tim2723
May-16-2012, 4:32pm
That's all cool, and so are you. Peace.

Brutus1999
May-23-2012, 4:40pm
You also should consider setting aside $75 for a "Tone Gard". The opinions that it improves the sound by holding the instrument away from your body generally runs about 80-90 percent saying it improves and maybe 10-20 percent saying it doesn't. I'm sure it does, with my mando. Now, if you don't want to spend that much, then do what many of us do. DON'T get the Tone Gard right way...wait a couple of months and THEN when you spend the $75, you can kind of pretend to yourself (or others!) that it wasn't really part of the price of the mandolin!

However, getting a good set up (and consider a Cumberland Acoustics bridge if you can afford it)...but anyhow, getting a good set up should happen right when you get the mando.....don't wait on that one.......

guitargain
May-23-2012, 9:14pm
You also should consider setting aside $75 for a "Tone Gard". The opinions that it improves the sound by holding the instrument away from your body generally runs about 80-90 percent saying it improves and maybe 10-20 percent saying it doesn't. I'm sure it does, with my mando. Now, if you don't want to spend that much, then do what many of us do. DON'T get the Tone Gard right way...wait a couple of months and THEN when you spend the $75, you can kind of pretend to yourself (or others!) that it wasn't really part of the price of the mandolin!

However, getting a good set up (and consider a Cumberland Acoustics bridge if you can afford it)...but anyhow, getting a good set up should happen right when you get the mando.....don't wait on that one.......

Thanks for the info Brutus. I actually have a friend who is very handy with building things and he also plays anything with strings on it. I went by his place the other day and he showed me his handmade tonegard that he made and it looked awesome so I would probably get him to build me one like his for a fraction of the $75.00

guitargain
May-23-2012, 10:02pm
I believe I have settled on the LM-600vs and I believe after reading some of the testimonials on here I will almost certainly buy from folkmusician.com thanks for all your input I appreciate it.

Ben Milne
May-24-2012, 1:29am
You have made some good decisions since your original post.
Welcome, and all the best along your journey.

guitargain
May-24-2012, 9:20pm
You have made some good decisions since your original post.
Welcome, and all the best along your journey.

I hope so. I got flamed in a nice way for liking something that was considered to be flashy and had just started my search and learn for what I wanted. I have been playing guitar for most of my life and having something that is flashy and shiny isn't a bad thing if it's good quality imho. I just decided after the advice I received here and thankfully so, I was able to get a little more quality or a lot I guess for a little less flash and that's cool by me too. Thanks for all the advice and I intend to hopefully be able to post some things during my journey that would be beneficial to someone else someday.

Tim2723
May-25-2012, 11:08am
You got flamed? Where? We don't take kindly to flamers around here. Mess with one of us and they mess with the whole trailer park.

guitargain
May-25-2012, 12:28pm
You got flamed? Where? We don't take kindly to flamers around here. Mess with one of us and they mess with the whole trailer park.

I said in a nice way!!!! I was kidding:)

Tim2723
May-25-2012, 4:17pm
So was I! ;)

QCS
May-25-2012, 5:35pm
G-gain- Welcome to the cafe', pull up a chair. Found your thread while spending a few moments decompressing from work. You have already received plenty of suggestions and lot's of good advice. One thing I did not see in the thread is the mention of buying second hand. Do get out and try as many mando's as you can, it will only help you in knowing what you do and don't like. But take some time and troll the classifieds and see if you can get a little more bang for your buck. I for one, have had very positive results in buying used. Many of us maintain a catch and release program and sell perfectly good instruments only because it's time to move onward in another direction. Ya never know what you might find. But first , you need to know what you are looking for. Again, welcome to the Cafe' and good luck on you journey. Q

guitargain
May-25-2012, 7:49pm
So was I! ;)

Haha, you kinda got me. I am usually pretty good with the forum thing as I belong to one called cigarasylum.com for a while. And I see how easy it is for someone new to sometimes not express themselves the way I think they want to and get off to a rocky start. I was trying real hard not to do that here.LOL

allenhopkins
May-25-2012, 7:49pm
...I got flamed in a nice way for liking something that was considered to be flashy and had just started my search and learn for what I wanted. I have been playing guitar for most of my life and having something that is flashy and shiny isn't a bad thing if it's good quality imho. I just decided after the advice I received here and thankfully so, I was able to get a little more quality or a lot I guess for a little less flash and that's cool by me too. Thanks for all the advice and I intend to hopefully be able to post some things during my journey that would be beneficial to someone else someday.

Pleading guilty; I said something about OP's "being drawn to the flashier, but not necessarily better, lines of Asian import" mandolins, by which I meant Morgan Monroe and Michael Kelly -- which are consistently great-looking instruments, but not as esteemed as Loar, Kentucky, Eastman etc. by Cafe posters.

Hey, all other things being equal, I want the best looking mandolin as well! It's the "other things equal" part that's more problematical.

guitargain
May-25-2012, 7:53pm
G-gain- Welcome to the cafe', pull up a chair. Found your thread while spending a few moments decompressing from work. You have already received plenty of suggestions and lot's of good advice. One thing I did not see in the thread is the mention of buying second hand. Do get out and try as many mando's as you can, it will only help you in knowing what you do and don't like. But take some time and troll the classifieds and see if you can get a little more bang for your buck. I for one, have had very positive results in buying used. Many of us maintain a catch and release program and sell perfectly good instruments only because it's time to move onward in another direction. Ya never know what you might find. But first , you need to know what you are looking for. Again, welcome to the Cafe' and good luck on you journey. Q

Thanks for the welcome. The only problem is there doesn't seem to much of a market where I live for used mandolins. And there isn't a real store to buy or play many nearby either, it would be a couple hours drive to get to a store that has any amount of them to try. I did play two MMs that a freind has and I have to say they are pretty good for what he paid for them. I have also played my husband in laws Gibson F-5 (I think) and it was obviously nice but way outta my price range. I would really like to play whatever I buy first but after reading how esteemed folkmusician.com is here I don't think I could go wrong by buying from them. The bigger neck on the LM-600 seems to be a hit with most guitar players so I don't think I will ever notice the difference there.

Ben Milne
May-25-2012, 8:34pm
troll the classifieds

but only in a nice way...;)

guitargain
May-25-2012, 8:43pm
Pleading guilty; I said something about OP's "being drawn to the flashier, but not necessarily better, lines of Asian import" mandolins, by which I meant Morgan Monroe and Michael Kelly -- which are consistently great-looking instruments, but not as esteemed as Loar, Kentucky, Eastman etc. by Cafe posters.

Hey, all other things being equal, I want the best looking mandolin as well! It's the "other things equal" part that's more problematical.

Hey it's kinda good you said that cause it helped me to take a closer look at those two brands and then read more about The Loar too so it kinda fit my purpose for posting the question in the first place. you weren't rude about it and I didn't take it that way.

Rick Lindstrom
May-26-2012, 7:24pm
To second a motion- do yourself a favor and pass on the low end F models. Any A model at the same price will be way more bang for your buck.

Rick

guitargain
May-31-2012, 8:31pm
Thanks for the tip Rick, but I kinda had my heart set on an F style, and Iknow that there is more bang for the buck in the As. I just now placed my order for The Loar LM-600vs with the CA bridge upgrade from folkmusician.com. I sent an email asking about the upgrade and received a reply from Robert Fear and it was his honesty that made me go ahead an upgrade. What he said was that he didn't neccesarily say the LM-600 "needed" the upgraded bridge, but that it would certainly benefit from it. To me that's an honest answer that isn't designed to just get me to spend more money. I will also say that it's my opinion that the reputation they have here is well deserved. Thanks for all the input and help again. Can't wait to get now and get busy.

allenhopkins
Jun-01-2012, 10:55am
Awright!!! Let us know how you like the Loar...

guitargain
Jun-02-2012, 8:37pm
Mr. Fear doesn't lollygag around neither. I ordered this on Thursday night after hours. I forgot to mention in the notes on the order that this would be used for bluegrass as I don't know enough about mandolins to know whether or not that would affect how he would set it up. I got an email on Friday pretty early saying he was about to start on mine and that it would be on the way next week. My credit card was charged this morning and the website says it's not charged until the order is ready to be shipped. 1st class gentleman in my opinion and I doubt if I ever deal with anyone else when it comes to mandolins just judging by his attention so far. Thanks Mor. Fear.

dang
Jun-04-2012, 7:41am
I am assuming the bluechip pick, tone guard, armrest, leather strap, clip-on tuner, extra strings, hand carved wooden string winder, string cutters, Calton case, Colorado case cover for aforementioned Calton case (with additional backpack straps), metronome (never to be used), mandolin capo (just in case), microfiber polishing cloth, and various assorted "How to play like..." books are already on their way to your house? ;)

Or, you could buy all that stuff first and have it lying around the house while you save up for your mandolin!

guitargain
Jun-06-2012, 8:22pm
I am assuming the bluechip pick, tone guard, armrest, leather strap, clip-on tuner, extra strings, hand carved wooden string winder, string cutters, Calton case, Colorado case cover for aforementioned Calton case (with additional backpack straps), metronome (never to be used), mandolin capo (just in case), microfiber polishing cloth, and various assorted "How to play like..." books are already on their way to your house? ;)

Or, you could buy all that stuff first and have it lying around the house while you save up for your mandolin!

You know what assuming does right?:whistling:

Randi Gormley
Jun-07-2012, 8:28am
So, did it come? How do you like it?

Axeman
Jun-07-2012, 12:55pm
Hi Greg. I should have known you were here when you mentioned your setup. The slope can be slippery here, too.

guitargain
Jun-07-2012, 2:46pm
Hi Greg. I should have known you were here when you mentioned your setup. The slope can be slippery here, too.

Haha, it's a small world buddy.

guitargain
Jun-07-2012, 2:47pm
So, did it come? How do you like it?

No, it just shipped on Tuesday, so it's five day shipping. Sposed to be here on Tuesday. I will say again though that Mr. Fear doesn't sit on orders that's for sure. I ordered it late on Thursday night and it went out the next Tuesday after the bridge upgrade and setting it up seems to be fast to me. The five day waiting isn't fun though.LOL

mandolirius
Jun-07-2012, 3:56pm
Hey, look what just happened. A guy comes on asking for advice, gets some that is good and actually follows it. Could that be a first?

Seriously, I'm glad you gave your business to someone who really seems to understand the products he's selling. His emphasis on setup will be a great help to any new players that buy from him.

guitargain
Jun-11-2012, 8:14pm
I have tried to patiently wait, haven't been succesful.LOL Anyhow it's supposed to be here tomorrow. Will take some pics and update.

guitargain
Jun-12-2012, 6:12pm
The mandolin made it. It looks and sounds awesome. Now I gotta go and learn to play better.LOL

Axeman
Jun-12-2012, 9:21pm
I was just about to ask.
Well? Pics?

guitargain
Jun-13-2012, 6:18am
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/ggainey/e78ba0ce.jpg