PDA

View Full Version : beginners question with tab s

endresd
Feb-21-2004, 10:55am
Hello,

I just bought a mandolin and picked up a couple of books. It took all the way to page2 to get confused. The book shows a couple of simple songs along with the chords to play them. It shows G,C,Em......... . Then in some spots it just shows a / . It says to play all lettered chords wth a downstroke and to do the same for the slashes. Here is the stupid question, what are the slashes. I don't see them explained anywhere in the book and I don't see any explanantion on the web. Could someone please help.

Dave

Guitdolin
Feb-21-2004, 11:05am
The slashes are most likely downbeats. Play the same chord that was last shown. When it's time to change to a different chord it will print a D or Em, etc.

Here's what 4 measures of the I, IV, V, I progression look like with 1 measure/chord in 4/4 time:

A / / / D / / / E / / / A(let ring - whole note)
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1

Is that what your book looks like basically? Hope that helps.

endresd
Feb-21-2004, 12:19pm
Yes, that is exactly what it looks like. Thanks for the help. I started to think that was what was happening, but I couldn't help but wonder why they just didn't repeat the chord letter. I am 43 years old and just starting to learn an instrument. It is amazing how dumb I feel.

Staramouche
Feb-21-2004, 1:09pm
Dave,
Good Luck! #I just found out every note has its own scale
and that there are these things called bar chords that you don't have to be drinkin to play!

This is kinda addicting so have lotsa fun! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~Joe