View Full Version : Wayne Henderson finishing up a F5 Mandolin

Larry S Sherman
May-12-2012, 7:48am
Great video...nice hat too :)

2NQ8xRBaQOs

Larry

fatt-dad
May-12-2012, 9:28am
this is a great video that I meant to post yesterday. I really enjoyed watching this and can't want 'till he builds my guitar. O.K. I can wait - it's just been 7 years. . .

What a fine man!

f-d

Denny Gies
May-12-2012, 9:48am
Thanks, Larry, that was fun.

mandophil(e)
May-12-2012, 9:55am
I know Wayne a little bit, and have had the pleasure of owning one of his instruments. A unique, amazing man. I've never met anyone like him.

And man, I need one of those end-pins! Sweet looking and sounding mandolin.

Phil Goodson
May-12-2012, 12:19pm
I'm glad they got a close up of the famous pocket knife that Wayne uses to "cut away everything that doesn't look like a mandolin".
That mandolin sounds pretty good to be so green. It will only get better over the next few years!
The guy playing the A style mandolin looks like the guy from 'Mandolin Orange", a good picker too.

Wayne finishes up most of his mandolins between the hours of 11 pm and 2 am.
(ask me how I know. :grin:)

Hang in there fatt-dad. It's early!

wwwilkie
May-12-2012, 1:26pm
What an incredible video! Leaves me wanting to see a whole lot more. Thanks for posting!!

Jim Garber
May-12-2012, 4:13pm
I had the once-in-a-lifetime honor of spending three weeks with Wayne in a guitar building class at Augusta Heritage Arts in WV back in the 1980s. It was a great experience and one of my dreams. He is a great guy and a wonderful teacher. I still have the 000 size form from that class and one day I hope to build another guitar. I am just sorry i didn't build one immediately after that class so i could remember all the details and hints and tricks he taught us. There were only the three of us in the class. The other amazing part was that I got to play music and video games with him and just hang as well.

Ivan Kelsall
May-13-2012, 7:22am
Larry - Thanks so much for posting that clip.It's awesome to watch a real craftsman at work. I could watch the whole building process from start to finish & enjoy every second. I did note that Wayne sanded his bridge from side to side in the way that i did when i fitted a CA bridge to a previously owned instrument.
Those belt sanders can be pretty dangerous things. One touch of your knuckle on the belt & you're down to the bone. I got close to wetting myself when i saw him pick up that drill to drill the end pin hole - jeeeeez!!:disbelief:
Ivan~:>

Kevin McELvanney
May-13-2012, 9:00am
Great stuff.:)

Jim Garber
May-13-2012, 11:06am
Here are videos of an interview with Wayne. You get some sense of him as a person, his sense of humor and his background.

qcK4mBIqmh8

lBqy17zzXIQ

36udapkeICI

f5loar
May-15-2012, 12:04am
You have to appreciate him using his bluejeans as a wipe cloth to get the hide glue off his finger tips while putting the fingerboard on. A true master craftsman from the true sense of the word. He has always been pretty spot on with getting a Loar type color and finish. I think over 50% of the mandolin was made with his pocket knife.

Charles E.
May-15-2012, 6:28am
You have to appreciate him using his bluejeans as a wipe cloth to get the hide glue off his finger tips while putting the fingerboard on. A true master craftsman from the true sense of the word. He has always been pretty spot on with getting a Loar type color and finish. I think over 50% of the mandolin was made with his pocket knife.

It looks like a bottle of Titebond to me, and it looks like he just sticks it on there with no clamps! I am sure the camera left out the clamping part.

BradKlein
May-15-2012, 6:46am
I gather that Wayne Henderson is not a fan of hot hide glue, like most luthier's of his stature? At least he once strongly recommended titebond to me for the dovetailed neck of a mandolin I was working on.

Cary Fagan
May-15-2012, 7:11am
Great video, thanks for posting. Got to meet Wayne at Blue Ridge Old Time week. Fine person, wonderful musician.

Phil Goodson
May-15-2012, 10:44am
..... I think over 50% of the mandolin was made with his pocket knife.

well-l-l ......... the knife probably does SOMETHING to over 50%. (Scrapes, trims, fine tunes the shape, etc.)

Wayne says that the first guitar he made with D-45 abalone trim, he did entirely by cutting out the shell with the pocket knife and shaping and inlaying it! That's a lot of abalone and a lot of cutting. Fortunately, he was in no hurry! ;)