PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a Gibson Mandolin - Circa 1920

jlove
May-08-2012, 12:50pm
Hello-

A Gibson Mandolin was passed down to me and I'm trying to dig up some information but having some difficulty. In the case, contains a price tag that states the following:

Gibson Mandolin circa 1920
$1150
S/N 4520

Inside the guitar I can see the following label:

Gibson Mandolin - Guitar
Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
No. 4520

The tuning does have damage as you can see in one of the pictures, this could be the deathblow to the overall value.

I was wondering if this mandolin looks familiar to anyone and if someone could tell me a thing or two about it including value in mint condition and value as is.

Thanks.

sunburst
May-08-2012, 1:12pm
I think what you have there is more like a 1906 A1.
Experts will be along shortly...

Jim Garber
May-08-2012, 1:32pm
That serial number puts in into 1908 according to the list I have. That plate on the headstock looks like an amateur repair and that would lower the value. The bridge is not original as far as I can tell. However a good restorer could take care of that headstock. Other conditions: the shape of the top -- that there isn't any sinkage -- and the straightness and angle of the neck would impact value.

Do you have more pics? The back of the headstock would help determine why that plate is there.

jlove
May-08-2012, 1:52pm
Unfortunately, the repair goes clear into the backside as you can see from the photo of the back. I'm taking it in to see if I can save it. :confused:

Jim Garber
May-08-2012, 1:56pm
I think this is fairly common for this era of Gibson, that the headstock seam gives way. Outside of the screwholes, it is quite possible that it could be fixed invisibly. Is it playable as is?

jlove
May-08-2012, 2:56pm
Totally playable... in fact, getting it re-strung and polished up now. It will be ready by Friday.

Ivan Kelsall
May-10-2012, 1:01am
I'm not a great lover of the 'paddle head' style Mandolins,but that one i'd welcome with open arms,it looks to be in excellent condition apart from the headstock issue. I think that a good luthier would be able to repair that without a great deal of trouble if it's just the seam along the center strip. If as you say,it's totally playable,then i'd get it done & enjoy bringing a lovely instrument back to normal,;)
Ivan:mandosmiley:

Bill Snyder
May-10-2012, 6:17am
Is it a seperation or is the peghead broken in two cross ways starting at the 2nd g string tuner and running across to the lower corner of the peghead.