PDA

View Full Version : Return of MAS? HELP!

Mandolin Mick
May-02-2012, 9:42am
I've been happily married to my Rattlesnake F-5 for sometime and I thought my MAS was gone ...

But, recently I have a serious jones for a Recording King Resonator Mandolin! The MAS for F-5s is gone but this is a different category ...

While you're at it ... any happy owners out there and how do they play? :))

Mando Tristan
May-02-2012, 9:49am
Sorry about the MAS, unfortunately there is no cure as far as I know. Only temporary fixes, luckily I just got a new mando yesterday so my MAS is under control... for now.

-Tristan

JeffD
May-02-2012, 9:58am
I played the Recording King res when I was shopping around. I ended up getting the National RM-1. They will both "get 'er done", but to my ears the National has a much better tone. I found the Recording King was too brassy. The National still sounds mandolinny.

In terms of mojo, they both are really cool looking, but again, the National in my opinion wins there too, with a round almost A shaped mandolinny body of wood, with the steampunk resonator grill, I fell in love with it.

These are my own opinions, no financial interest, and tastes are different. I think the Recording King could make you happy for the rest of your life, just like the National, and with either one you can kill flies and peel paint from across the room with your sonic emmenation, and have banjo players ask you to play softer fercryinoutloud. But the more complex warmer sound of the National, and its handsome looks just won me over.

JeffD
May-02-2012, 9:59am
Oh, by way of full disclosure,resonators do not cure MAS. Just a warning....

Mike Scott
May-02-2012, 10:02am
MAS.......................as long as you play the mandolin, its there just lurking under the surface then .......bingo it comes to the forefront for no good reason. I recently bought a Kentucky KM 1500 which is just a killer mando, then I go into the local store and just playing around (helping my brother in law select a uke) pick up a Big Muddy to play. Guess what, now I own a Big Muddy too. I don't get it, but I guess its a good addiction. "Hi, my name is Mike and I am addicted to buying and playing mandolins........."

Haven't played the Recording King, but it may put the MAS into remission! :mandosmiley:

wildpikr
May-02-2012, 10:10am
Consider that you're asking a forum full of 'mando-enablers' for help with MAS...:grin:

I say add that cool sounding resonator to the stable!:mandosmiley:

allenhopkins
May-02-2012, 11:06am
They started building resonator mandolins (also guitars and ukes) in China more than a decade ago, and importing them under labels like "Johnson" and "Republic." The design of the mandolins is based (not exactly) on the pre-WWII National mandolins built in Chicago. The Asian imports had shorter scales than the old Nationals, but had the brass bodies with chrome or nickel plating, the "biscuit" resonator construction, and similar silhouettes.

Many of us were glad to find a new source of resonator mandolins, since prices on the old ones had gotten pretty steep. (I bought a Johnson resonator ukulele, after seriously envying those who'd scored pre-war Nationals at multi-K prices.) However, a certain level of disappointment set in, as the sound of the Johnsons and Republics wasn't up to that of the older mandolins, and definitely not as good as the new resonator mandolins the re-formed National Resophonic company was making.

I have been told the the Recording King instruments, though built on the same basic chassis as the Johnsons and Republics, have a better cone and a better sound. However, I've no direct experience. I still have my Johnson uke, but purchased and subsequently traded away a Johnson tri-cone resonator guitar which, in my opinion, didn't "cut it."

While not up to the US-made Nationals, the Recording King is a fraction of the cost, and you can determine if you like the sound and want to have a reso-mandolin in your arsenal.

Mandolin Mick
May-03-2012, 1:45am
Thanx guys. When I've heard them played, I like the natural echo on it that I can only get by playing other mandolins in the bathroom. If I do go with a Recording King, I'd go with the 998-E, which is more pleasing; aesthetically. Also, Recording Kings are relatively inexpensive ... :mandosmiley:

trevor
May-03-2012, 5:03am
I haven't played the Recording King but all the all metal resonators I have played have been 'orrible.

Mike Snyder
May-03-2012, 5:22am
I've played several of the Recording King resomandos and could not live with the sound. Tinny, loud bad tone is primarily BAD TONE.
The RM-1 is a different beast altogether and very, very desirable but not comperable in price.
Republic is a stateside outfit making a fairly broad line of resos. I'm waiting for them to build some tenors to see how my resistance holds up. They aim for a reasonable price point and if they could be convinced to build some mandolins I'm sure they could sell tens of them!

Robert Mitchell
May-03-2012, 6:43am
:confused:I wonder if there is a MAS rehab facility?????:confused:

JEStanek
May-03-2012, 8:24am
They are totally different animals. Should I ever have cash to burn, I'll get a Commodium (http://keithcary.com/Keith%20Cary/Commodium.html) resonator. I've only ever played a new National. It was heavy but L O U D and still sounded mandolinny not like the metal bodied sounds I hear on Yank's recordings. I guess it depends a bit on what you want the instrument to sound like.

Jamie

PS. Trainmaster

I wonder if there is a MAS rehab facility?????

Yeah... your spouse calls it The Doghouse and it's as effective as rehab for true MAS-addicts.

f5loar
May-03-2012, 8:26am
Going below in $$ what you have now is not really true MAS. It's more of a daily fix for a sufferer of MAS. The thrill won't last long especially on something like this. It's not replacing the Snake. So indulge freely!

dcoventry
May-03-2012, 10:05am
I'm fighting Resonator MAS right now, too!!

I've played all the major options for Reso-Mando, and have concluded that if you want that type of sound, and really want the BIG SMILE, the RM-1 is really what to save for and buy. YMMV, but not by much!

If I don't buy the Grady or the new Mowry in the Classifieds, the RM-1 is my next purchase. That's my MAS, and my name is Dave.

billkilpatrick
May-03-2012, 11:00am
you're dreaming - count to 10 backwards and snap out of it!

Bob Clark
May-03-2012, 11:07am
:confused:I wonder if there is a MAS rehab facility?????:confused:

You mean this isn't the MAS rehab facility? What did I do, come in the wrong door? I thought the 12 step program was based here. I'm in trouble now. I've got a wicked case of MAS going for an O.M. at the moment and I figured you folks could help me get out of it. There may be only one way out!

Bob

JeffD
May-03-2012, 1:37pm
Hey Mick, I would strongly suggest trying a National RM-1. Just so you know. I would not want you getting the Recording King and finding yourself later jonesing for a National. What you ultimately purchase is up to you, but it would be good to make as informed a choice as possible.

That being said, resonators are huge gobs of fun. Nobody beats the res. Especially in a public situation, a pick up band for a contradance for example. Nobody will stand in front of you so you will naturally move to the front of the stage.

Mandolin Mick
May-03-2012, 3:20pm
Alright guys ... I'll look at the RM-1 ... ;)

Mandolin Mick
May-03-2012, 3:50pm
Now I'm jonesing for the National RM-1 ... but it costs 4x as much!!! You guys aren't any help ... you're enablers!!! :))

wildpikr
May-03-2012, 4:23pm
And a glass slide to go with it too...

allenhopkins
May-04-2012, 10:09am
The UK-made Wailing resonator mandolin (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wailingresonators/mandolin.html) is another option, less expensive than the National. I used to hear one at some local jam sessions and it was plenty loud, not as harsh as the Johnson/Republic varieties. Nowhere near as smooth or "mandolin-y" as the National, but not as many buxx either.

JeffD
May-04-2012, 2:15pm
Reso-mas is a particularly virulent form of mas. It really is.

Yep, the RM-1 is more costly. And that is a balance we all have to sort out. In my reso tasting, I felt the cost was justified. For what I wanted, the way I play.

JeffD
May-04-2012, 2:17pm
Reso-mas is a particularly virulent form of mas. It really is.

Yep, the RM-1 is more costly. And that is a balance we all have to sort out. In my reso tasting, I felt the cost was justified. For what I wanted, the way I play.

Think of it this way. You are saving money. Because if you get the Recording King, and later you will want the RM-1 anyway, so this way we just cut to the chase.

JeffD
May-08-2012, 8:37am
NFI on my part, I think you should get what makes you happy. Just sharing my particular taste in resonators with you. Two clips, both beautifully played. Both instruments with mojo to spare.

Check out the tone of this vid. It captures the "woodieness" of the RM-1, I think. While still loud as two taxis in the city, it still is very mandolinny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwucS53AsY

While this is an example of the brassiness of the all metal Recording King. Also really nice, but it doesn't sound like a mandolin to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucahRMs9-Kw

jim simpson
May-08-2012, 3:42pm
Tried to cure GAS once by buying a pre-war Martin.
I took it home to show my wife,
then the war started!

allenhopkins
May-08-2012, 11:56pm
Tried to cure GAS once by buying a pre-war Martin. I took it home to show my wife, then the war started!

This scenario is described repeatedly in different "MAS" threads, and every now and then I experience a bit of frustration. I can see one's spouse taking exception to an instrument purchase, if it meant skipping a mortgage payment, depriving li'l Skippy of orthodontia, forcing the sale of appliances or furniture, or canceling that Riviera vacation and substituting a week at Lake Scummy.

Other than that, are so many domestic situations so adversarial, that when Dad (or Mom!) brings home that Weber Yellowstone or Martin 000-18, "war" breaks out, lawyers are called, punches are thrown, etc. etc.? If there's enough of a financial surplus to allow purchase of the instrument, if both spouses trust each other not to be total irresponsible idiots, if both parties wish all family members to enjoy a modicum of happiness in their avocations as well as their vocations, then why are we talking "war," or "my wife won't stand for it," or "I have to sneak the mandolin in, hide it behind the freezer, and, if discovered, say 'What? A new mandolin? Of course not, dearest...'"?

I mean, we're grown-ups, right? And we're not talking about robbing the family piggy-bank to buy reefer, play the ponies, or take a flier on that Nigerian inheritance offer. It's no more irresponsible to buy a quality musical instrument, than to buy a new couch when you already have a serviceable if shabby one, or to upgrade your stove to a self-cleaning model so no one needs to zone out on Easy-Off fumes.

If you have $1K+ in discretionary funds available, go buy that National RM-1; if not, you can buy the Recording King, or sock away what you've got and add to it until the National's affordable. "MAS" aside, a well-researched and non-extravagant instrument purchase should be totally defensible, and not grounds for divorce. If it's that contentious, well, maybe it's not the real issue...?

billkilpatrick
May-09-2012, 1:53am
"what! another one?!"
"no honey, look - it's the same case."

Bob Clark
May-09-2012, 7:11am
This scenario is described repeatedly in different "MAS" threads, and every now and then I experience a bit of frustration. I can see one's spouse taking exception to an instrument purchase, if it meant skipping a mortgage payment, depriving li'l Skippy of orthodontia, forcing the sale of appliances or furniture, or canceling that Riviera vacation and substituting a week at Lake Scummy.

Other than that, are so many domestic situations so adversarial, that when Dad (or Mom!) brings home that Weber Yellowstone or Martin 000-18, "war" breaks out, lawyers are called, punches are thrown, etc. etc.? If there's enough of a financial surplus to allow purchase of the instrument, if both spouses trust each other not to be total irresponsible idiots, if both parties wish all family members to enjoy a modicum of happiness in their avocations as well as their vocations, then why are we talking "war," or "my wife won't stand for it," or "I have to sneak the mandolin in, hide it behind the freezer, and, if discovered, say 'What? A new mandolin? Of course not, dearest...'"?

I mean, we're grown-ups, right? And we're not talking about robbing the family piggy-bank to buy reefer, play the ponies, or take a flier on that Nigerian inheritance offer. It's no more irresponsible to buy a quality musical instrument, than to buy a new couch when you already have a serviceable if shabby one, or to upgrade your stove to a self-cleaning model so no one needs to zone out on Easy-Off fumes.

If you have $1K+ in discretionary funds available, go buy that National RM-1; if not, you can buy the Recording King, or sock away what you've got and add to it until the National's affordable. "MAS" aside, a well-researched and non-extravagant instrument purchase should be totally defensible, and not grounds for divorce. If it's that contentious, well, maybe it's not the real issue...?

Amen Brother!

Denny Gies
May-09-2012, 7:27am
Buy the thing, take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

jim simpson
May-09-2012, 7:32am
My pre-war Martin refference was a joke of course. I've been married to a very understanding wife for 39 years. I try to keep my collection under control and not go for volume of instruments. Honesty is always the best policy in a relationship, especially when it comes to spending money. Got to go now and look as the classifieds!

Mandolin Mick
May-09-2012, 7:50am
I've been sort of sitting on the sidelines and reading & appreciating your responses.

My wife has been more than understanding over the years, and probably beyond what would be considered reasonable by most spouses of musicians. I play 9 instruments so she's endured a lot!

I should say that one of the reasons that I'm attracted to the Recording King is it's volume. Because I'm deaf in my right ear, and have a severe hearing loss in my left ear, I find the possibility of actually being able to hear what I play clearly very appealing! Though I've played professionally in this state, it's gotten to the point that I can no longer play with other musicians, even 1 acoustic guitar. Hearing aids are a pain because I have very narrow ear canals.

Which is louder, the RM-1 or Recording King?

Anyway, I play solo all the time and it's forced me to be a better musician. Picture if you will, me playing Bill Monroe instrumentals solo at a Salvation Army Kettle or for the Milwaukee Rescue Mission and that's me!

Marcelyn
May-09-2012, 9:18am
I've been there too. I ended up getting a Republic B-stock which was hardly even a bump in the road of MAS at $250. I don't regret it either, because I mainly play mandolin and only break out the resonator for a different sound to change things up. Also, you can't beat it for a camping instrument. Personally, I do like it's tone. It sounds metalic, but sweet and mellow. Anyway, here's a few videos of it that I made for the Song of the Week Group. Have fun with whatever you settle on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYtoHdpWlOs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9D8Kb81oZghttp://soundcloud.com/a-mandolin-in-progress/stones-rag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhjL-EBOfs

Ed Goist
May-09-2012, 9:31am
Marcelyn: Your playing is always so great, and your touch on that resonator gives a wonderful dark feeling to the tone. Great stuff!

Jim, I absolutely LOVE your "pre-war MAS joke" and I will be stealing it, often!

I'm loving this thread, as I'm sure that I'll eventually get a resonator tenor guitar now that I'm GDAE tenor guitar obsessed.

Finally, as I've said in these forums before, my wonderful wife is a great enabler of my IAS, as she feels that I'm so much of a "hermit/monk" otherwise, almost never spending money on myself. Lucky me!

Life is short. Get the instrument(s) you want. :)

Marcelyn
May-09-2012, 10:38am
Thanks Ed. I love your MAS philosophy by the way. Personally, I have the best of all worlds--a husband who encourages me to get what I like and one who somehow is genuinely content with one instrument. Go figure.