PDA

View Full Version : "The Bear" Staining experiment aka "Fancy Saddle Merlot"

lauri Girouard
Apr-30-2012, 7:14pm
I was trying something new with stain on this A style. The top is carpathian spruce with a tad of bear claw in it. The back, sides and neck are euro maple. Calling this one "The Bear". I do like how it came out, it reminds me of a nice glass of merlot on a hot summer night. Though it looks good in these pics, in real life its just ummmm....one of those things that a photo just won't ever capture. I have a Garcia 2 point coming up that I am going to be doing this color on.

Grommet
Apr-30-2012, 9:23pm
Stunning work Laurie. Someone is going to be a happy picker fer sho'.

Scott

Spruce
Apr-30-2012, 10:05pm
Nice!

Ed Goist
Apr-30-2012, 10:06pm
Wow! Beautiful.

Tavy
May-01-2012, 3:03am
That's sweet Lauri, successful experiment I say!

JEStanek
May-01-2012, 7:53am
Rich!

Jamie

Jim Garber
May-01-2012, 8:22am
That looks delicious, Lauri! What is it that you did differently to get that deep intense color?

lauri Girouard
May-01-2012, 9:27am
The credit for this one goes to John Hamlett. He did this on a mandola not too long ago and I just fell in love with it. I had to try it for myself. Im not quite where John is with his as it was breathtaking, but im happy with mine. This color was achieved with leather dye. Check it out...
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?71681-A-new-mandola

Carleton Page
May-02-2012, 10:31am
I love both yours and John's. I guess the process is the same, but to me they have different results. I think Merlot is a great description of yours. I think his looks more like leather. Again, I love them both.