PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best musical instrument?

Rick Albertson
Apr-30-2012, 10:29am
http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ideas/which-best-musical-instrument

"What draws us to play, or to love hearing, some instruments above all others?"

Phil Goodson
Apr-30-2012, 10:38am
Don Stiernberg has been answering that question for years. ;)

John Flynn
Apr-30-2012, 10:46am
Cow bell. No question about it. :))

Pooh
Apr-30-2012, 10:50am
It's the one that gives voice to the song in your heart. You know it when you hear it.

OldSausage
Apr-30-2012, 11:17am
Well, don't forget the spoons. They really stir me.

Pete Summers
Apr-30-2012, 11:17am
I vote for piano. It is, at least, the most versatile. Nothing wrong with a mandolin, either. :)

Shelagh Moore
Apr-30-2012, 11:45am
I don't think there is a best. Just the one you prefer.

mandocrucian
Apr-30-2012, 12:18pm
http://www.strumhollow.com/images/spoons/oak_stainless_steel_spoons.gif

resophil
Apr-30-2012, 12:34pm
Cow bell. No question about it. :))

Absolutely! It's a very mooo-ving experience, playing the cowbell...

Denny Gies
Apr-30-2012, 12:38pm
I'm with OldSausage, nothing quite beats the spoons, for fun and hatred.

resophil
Apr-30-2012, 12:40pm
Errr..., "nothing quite licks the spoons..."

JEStanek
Apr-30-2012, 12:54pm
To quote the kid from The Matrix "There is no spoon." I can't say there is a best instrument other than the brain that dreams the music up. All the others are just tools to realize that sonic idea that started in the brain. For versatility I'll say the voice.

Jamie

Barry Wilson
Apr-30-2012, 1:46pm
The best one is the one that makes you want to play and practice, no matter what it is...

SincereCorgi
Apr-30-2012, 2:02pm
The Mighty WURLITZER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZxpITq08Q&feature=related

This is like watching somebody pilot a 747 down a slot canyon.

Paul Busman
Apr-30-2012, 4:04pm
The one in your hands at the moment. Or none: you can sing, whistle, bang out rhythms, etc.

Mandobart
May-01-2012, 10:51am
For me personally, it needs to be portable, sound great, capable of playing lead, melody, fingerpicking or chord accompaniment for other instruments or voice. Other neat to have but not required items are looking nice, balanced and easy to hold/play all night, and be a little out of the mainstream. Also a major plus if it can be owned for less than a paycheck. The instrument that meets all these for me is my Tom Jessen Octave Mandolin (http://www.cricketfiddle.com/octavef4mandolins.htm).

Tim2723
May-01-2012, 11:25am
As an organist I appreciate SincereCorgi's viewpoint. The organ (essentially an acoustic synthesizer) is widely recognized, even across cultural lines, as the greatest instrument.

But be that as it may, I regret to admit that the best instrument isn't, to the great chagrin of the collective company assembled, the mandolin. Practically no one recognizes it, even in our own culture. We are, at least, the last bastion of the mandolin's power and beauty.

(BTW Corgi, that isn't the true 'Mighty' Wurlitzer, but certainly one of their better attempts.)

neil argonaut
May-01-2012, 11:31am
If voice counts, then I'd agree wit JEStanek and go with that; it's certainly the most played and owned instrument.
Apart from that, I think most have got their pros and cons, and are suitable for different things; the idea of a piano being "better" or "worse" than a fiddle is quite bizarre imo.
I've got a feeling I know which instrument would be voted worst though ;)

Oh and as for the poll its self, it confirms further my impression that IL is one of the most misnamed magazines around; It's in no way a fair contest when 5 instruments are given as pre-made choices with the rest required to be written in, and how they chose for example french horn rather than drums, I don't know. Also, it seems bizarre to include the brand of organ but not of anything else (I realise the Hammond has been a very influencial organ, but I don't see the need to put all other organs in a seperate category, or indeed individual categories).

JeffD
May-01-2012, 11:35am
It's the one that gives voice to the song in your heart. You know it when you hear it.

I have seen x-rays, and I am pretty sure there is no song in there. :)

JeffD
May-01-2012, 11:36am
Well, don't forget the spoons. They really stir me.

Maracas. They are shaken, not stirred.

catmandu2
May-01-2012, 11:57am
Well I read the article, and the only thing that made any sense (although I didn't notice any particularly glaring deficiencies or errors in judgement--with the possible exception of the premise of the article itself) was the comparison with the act of sex, however I would have chosen, myself, for a more apt comparison--epicurean delights of the digestable variety (Jeff probably would use spirits...or fish ;))

But fwiw, I'll mention that I have a peculiar (and I wonder if I'm alone in this--probably certainly among this forum) avocation of entertaining with banjo, accordian, and hurdy gurdy (substitute for bagpipe, as its caterwauling potential is most certainly equivalent)...often the most notoriously reviled of instruments, yet for me they are "best" in many regards. D'oh :cool:

JeffD
May-01-2012, 12:39pm
often the most notoriously reviled of instruments, yet for me they are "best" in many regards.

I don't think those two things are unrelated, actually. A part of the charm of many avocations is their "outsider" status.

The same is true with musical taste, to some degree. There is something that strokes our self image to know that our taste in music run towards obscure.

It all helps us portray ourselves as iconoclastic. We see things clearly for what they are and are not influenced by other peoples options. Woo hoo.

There are folks, even in this forum, who hope the mandolin does not become too popular or mainstream (as if), lest we be perceived as following the crowd.

"Spoken as a true Frank Zappa fan" I hear you say.

I can think of no better explanation for folks who play the ukelin or the tremoloa. :)

catmandu2
May-01-2012, 12:54pm
Well it's nothing I aspired to for any reasons (the music I like to listen to and play) of affectation. Both banjo and accordian came to me for different reasons, but became my primary solo performng instruments because they are loud, and I don't have to bring an amp for medium-sized rooms. The hurdy gurdy just came on because I like its sound, and it is interesting.

I mention their "outsider" status merely for light-hearted irony; on other forums, of course they're not perceived as outsider at all. It's all just stereotyping, so it shouldn't be taken with any seriousness

I like the mandolin, and would use it more, but for solo entertaining it's generally not versatile enough for my requirements. If I feel like it, I'll pack a fiddle for a few tunes, but otherwise what I would play on mandolin I play on tenor banjo

I've gone all around with music, but I must say I've never considered any of it in those terms--of being motivated for any "non-musical" reasons

SincereCorgi
May-01-2012, 1:43pm
Oh and as for the poll its self, it confirms further my impression that IL is one of the most misnamed magazines around; It's in no way a fair contest when 5 instruments are given as pre-made choices with the rest required to be written in, and how they chose for example french horn rather than drums, I don't know. Also, it seems bizarre to include the brand of organ but not of anything else (I realise the Hammond has been a very influencial organ, but I don't see the need to put all other organs in a seperate category, or indeed individual categories).

Yeah, I thought the article was garbage... hopefully the writer used the check to put a new roof on an orphanage or something. I always think the candidates for 'best instrument' are the piano, the violin, the organ and the human voice (I know the last one is kind of a cop-out). My criteria are a) variety of expression, weighed against b) the music they've inspired (i.e., no mandolin concertos yet that compare to a Beethoven piano concerto).

JeffD
May-01-2012, 1:58pm
I mention their "outsider" status merely for light-hearted irony;

Well I settled on the mandolin by and large because it wasn't a guitar. The idea of me becoming yet another lonely/serious looking 5 chord strummer singing Neil Young or James Taylor in order to get a date, really disgusted me. (Neil Young for hippy chicks, James Taylor for the co-eds and intellectual types.)

on other forums, of course they're not perceived as outsider at all.

We live where we live. When I tried to convince my wife that wearing snake skin cowboy boots (so cool) was not beyond the pale in Texas, I was informed that we did not live in Texas.

catmandu2
May-01-2012, 2:27pm
(Neil Young for hippy chicks, James Taylor for the co-eds and intellectual types.)

We live where we live. When I tried to convince my wife that wearing snake skin cowboy boots (so cool) was not beyond the pale in Texas, I was informed that we did not live in Texas.

Ha...well, I do admire those who wear what they will, despite where they live. Check out the "sun ra thread" :) (something for everyone on that thread--you can disdain clarinet, "avant garde" music, or jack white)

Oh, and believe me, I didn't ever set out to be a banjoist/accordianist!...or the weird guy with the hurdy gurdy. It just happened that way. Yeah, I woulda rather've been Rod Stewart...(or Jeff Beck, actually)

JeffD
May-01-2012, 4:27pm
Oh, and believe me, I didn't ever set out to be a banjoist/accordianist!...or the weird guy with the hurdy gurdy. It just happened that way. Yeah, I woulda rather've been Rod Stewart...(or Jeff Beck, actually)

:))

jim simpson
May-01-2012, 5:40pm

I'd like to have this on a t-shirt:

John Flynn
May-02-2012, 5:36am
There is always an exception, though. There is a family that attends an Irish session I used to go to. Dad plays key accordion, mom plays spoons, daugther plays bodhran. Talk about the "trifecta" of off-putting instruments! But they are all three very good musicians, very tasteful and sensitive to the music and the rest of the group. The mom especially has an incredible touch on spoons, just fitting in perfectly. She doesn't do the "clackety-clack" kind of thing at all. She's a true accomplished percussionist.

A true story I still get a chuckle out of: Speaking of off-putting instruments, a friend of mine is a very good bones player. The bones people actually have had a national group and my friend was on the board of directors. They were planning a national convention and someone came up with the idea that they could have a bigger, better national convention if they combined with the national spoons players organization. My friend said he personally thought it was an OK idea, but the idea was roundly shouted down. Reportedly someone exclaimed, "We don't want to be associating with spoons players!" I guess everyone needs someone to look down on!

Ben Milne
May-02-2012, 6:11am
This would have to be up pretty high on the list
XAg5KjnAhuU

[/YOUTUBE]
I vote for piano. It is, at least, the most versatile.

I gotta disagree with this, sorry Pete. The piano while developed for its dynamic range really only has one timbre.
It's size isn't exactly conducive to being transported around easily, which rules out scenarios like being thrown into a backback, carried on a bike and played at the beach etc.
Oversized one trick pony =/= versatile to me.;)

neil argonaut
May-02-2012, 7:33am
I gotta disagree with this, sorry Pete. The piano while developed for its dynamic range really only has one timbre.
It's size isn't exactly conducive to being transported around easily, which rules out scenarios like being thrown into a backback, carried on a bike and played at the beach etc.

Plus, a piano is unable to bend notes or play anything between the semitone gaps, unlike voice, violin, guitar, etc.

Tim2723
May-02-2012, 8:19am
I always found that the biggest advantage of the pipe organ was in never having to carry it.

mandolino maximus
May-02-2012, 8:25am
About that Kazookulele. No hybrids. Only pure instruments allowed. Except electronic instruments like the keyboard or the Ewi. :whistling:

Yeah, the sex analogy was lame and the article was on the smug side. But it made me look up "knees-up."

Every instrument is made objectively and subjectively better or worse by the peformer and the use to which it is put. I'm still being impressed by the mandolin regardless of whether my neighbor ever heard of one.

catmandu2
May-02-2012, 10:24am
Article aside, I like these kinds of exercises in artistic or aesthetic "reasoning"; my approach may be a little different than the author's--though I understand he was writing for a different audience

Lots of ways to approach the issue: one way is, from the perspective that "the best tool allows the imagination to execute its concept"...in which case, we'd have to give credence to the synthesizer (the best of the most recent offerings, as newer ones generally incorporate the state of the art--amazing the capability of sound these can produce). Another way is, thinking about only "common" instruments or traditional Western instruments (or possibly the 2000 varieties mentioned by the author), which constitute a much more limited palette of expressive sound (i.e., violin)...

...in this realm, I'd give consideration to doublebass

John Flynn
May-02-2012, 10:57am
I agree with the remarks about the piano, per se, but if one were to think outside the traditional box and have a concept of "keyboard family" instruments (which I personally don't play, BTW), you'd come pretty close to serious versatility and universality. You'd have: piano, organ (many variations), electronic keyboard, accordion, keytar, melodica, harmonium, harpsicord, synthesizer and probably others I'm not even thinking of.

otterly2k
May-02-2012, 11:01am
I have to say... I'm with Jamie on this one-- if forced to choose, I'd have to choose voice - it is the most accessible, most often used, most versatile and most personal, equally excellent solo or in ensemble, most prevalent across cultures and history, most directly connected to the ears and brain from where the ideas come. Nearly everyone can "play" it, and nearly everyone already does (inasmuch as speech is actually the same as singing). It may be the closest to universal (or at least global) that there is other than the heartbeat.

Aside from that, the question is like asking which flower is most beautiful. Impossible to answer.

catmandu2
May-02-2012, 11:01am
I agree with the remarks about the piano, per se, but if one were to think outside the traditional box and have a concept of "keyboard family" instruments (which I personally don't play, BTW), you'd come pretty close to serious versatility and universality. You'd have: piano, organ (many variations), electronic keyboard, accordion, keytar, melodica, harmonium, harpsicord, synthesizer and probably others I'm not even thinking of.

John, an "entry-level" Roland synth has dozens of the most popular keyboard sounds sampled (grand piano, B3, Rhodes, etc.), plus about 1000 other samples; take a more sophisticated analog board, and you have virtually infinite ways to treat a sound wave. Electronic keys (synths) are really in a category by themselves--way beyond anything else...it can likely exceed your imagination with a press of a button, turn of dial--unlike a violin, OTOH, with which you'll have to be pretty darn good with. But of course the synth is "virtual" or analog; it's like comparing kites with drones

OldSausage
May-02-2012, 11:42am
When was the last time anyone thought to themselves "The thing I'd really like to purchase today is a fine album of synthesizer music!" though? My guess: 1983.

catmandu2
May-02-2012, 11:50am
Well I gotta tell you--bluegrassers and mandolin devotees notwithstanding--there is much, much more interest, as well as recording and artistic use, of synthesizers, these days

Not that I have any particular interest in either the genre or the scene...but if you're going to play a popular dance club, standard equipment is "two turntables and a microphone" (or, better yet, a laptop)

If the criteria for "best" is: most money-making ability, or "popularity," or ubiquitous presence in more pop music genres than anythng else, or experimental and innovative capability for multi-media artistic expression--better think synth

OldSausage
May-02-2012, 11:56am
Oh you and your money and multi-media artistic expression.

catmandu2
May-02-2012, 12:07pm
Oh you and your money and multi-media artistic expression.

sorry :redface:

Dobe
May-02-2012, 12:19pm
Definately the Nyckelharpa, followed in a near tie for second by the Bagpipes & Hurdy Gurdy . Check out any of Pete Puma Hedlund's videos, and his student, Brownwyn Bird (Blue Moose and the Unbuttoned Zippers) made her instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQ_Bg7Hloc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTI40UOVl3Y

OldSausage
May-02-2012, 3:04pm
Needz moar synthesizer.

pefjr
May-02-2012, 3:08pm
Harmonica.

catmandu2
May-02-2012, 3:23pm
I so want a nyckelharpa (i believe roger landes was advertising one for sale recently), but my economic state prohibits this--so gurdy is my surrogate

Sausage, on the synth forums, I said my gurdy was an "acoustic synthesizer" ... but it will be an excellent voice to sample and patch on my synths

Thanks for that lovely clip dobe--Scandinavian music is one of my passions (btw, scandi pop music makes heavy use of synths as well as trad instruments in a lot of that techno-tribal scene--a great genre to hear experimentation and some very interesting sounds and lovely melodies...not for everyone, I'm sure)

Needz moar synthesizer.

No, needs bass clarinet

Capt. E
May-02-2012, 4:10pm
Is not rythmn the basis underlying all music? Perhaps the drum is an instrument to consider.

Elliot Luber
May-02-2012, 5:03pm
I'm partial to the mandolin.

Cheryl Watson
May-02-2012, 5:20pm
My question has been: Why do so many members of my family HATE the sound of a mandolin; even the finest Loars played by the greatest players in the World? Is hating the sound of a particular instrument genetic? Even my neice (when she was so little that she was barely talking yet) uttered only two stern words when I played a very sweet tune for her on the mandolin: "Put BACK!!!" Geesh!

catmandu2
May-02-2012, 5:52pm
My question has been... Is hating the sound of a particular instrument genetic?

Perhaps with a techno beat you would have more allure ; ). We are so culture bound. But your question is probably the most interesting aspect here, and I presume something the author might have had on mind when he conceived his article

JeffD
May-02-2012, 6:07pm
When was the last time anyone thought to themselves "The thing I'd really like to purchase today is a fine album of synthesizer music!" though? My guess: 1983.

I was going to say 1970 with Switched on Bach.

JeffD
May-02-2012, 6:08pm
Well I gotta tell you--bluegrassers and mandolin devotees notwithstanding--there is much, much more interest, as well as recording and artistic use, of synthesizers, these days

While you are right, its no great challange to be of more interest to the general public than bluegrass. :)

JeffD
May-02-2012, 6:13pm
My question has been: Why do so many members of my family HATE the sound of a mandolin; even the finest Loars played by the greatest players in the World? Is hating the sound of a particular instrument genetic? Even my neice (when she was so little that she was barely talking yet) uttered only two stern words when I played a very sweet tune for her on the mandolin: "Put BACK!!!" Geesh!

:))

Nah. If I can judge from my families musical tastes, there is a hatred of anything that I get passionate about. I suppose its because they feel it robs them of some of my passion, or that they feel jealous of my attention, or, my own favorite explanation, they feel powerless to influence me when I am in my passion. I try very hard to include them. But a typical response, this from a nephew, "Uncle Jeff, why do you play the mandolin? Isn't that something musicians do?"

If you think families hate mandolin, its nothing compared to how much they hate fishing.

Pete Summers
May-02-2012, 7:25pm

I agree, the disadvantage of lack of portability of the acoustic piano is a negative, as is the lack of a variety of timbre.

However, I think those are more than off-set by its versatility in terms of its ability to be self-accompanying (an enormous advantage that few instruments can match), its range of tones from bass to treble, its inspiration for composers, its ability to play ten or more notes at a time, and to play any style of music. It's no accident that more piano music has been written than music for any other instrument (the violin is second, I believe), simply because the piano can do more.

Of course we all recognize this whole discussion of the "best" instrument is ludicrous -- best is entirely subjective. All instruments have their advantages and disadvantages, but to my mind the piano can do more than any other single instrument, except perhaps the pipe organ. And nowadays, the digital piano has eliminated the piano's lack of mobility -- at 30 pounds or so, it can be taken anywhere an electric instrument can go.
:)

catmandu2
May-02-2012, 9:20pm
While you are right, its no great challange to be of more interest to the general public than bluegrass. :)

My comment was actually--comparing the interest and use of synths today with the relative interest and use of synthesizers in 1983

ninevah
May-02-2012, 9:46pm
Voice !

trevor
May-03-2012, 5:08am
Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. My least favourite question in my store is 'what is the best guitar/mandolin?' Fortunately the answer is simple. Whichever you like best.

mandocrucian
May-03-2012, 6:56am
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/67/df04e316520c4f4eb18892f860f14b5b/l.jpg

take your pick.....electric or acoustic

mandolino maximus
May-03-2012, 9:26am

I have a couple of Tomita albums - Snowflakes Are Dancing (1974) and Pictures at an Exhibition and I get quite a kick out of the synthesized versions of Beethoven's 9th on the Clockwork Orange soundtrack (1971). Everybody knows analog's best.:whistling:

My dogs are not particularly fond of my mandolin - until I get the French Horn out. (Actually, the Horn is an indispensable and and oft-synthesized sound - so don't even go there.)

Welcome to Heaven, here's your harp. Welcome to Hell, here's your accordion. (Gary Larson)

ambrosepottie
May-03-2012, 9:31am
Cello. It's relatively portable and a range of over 4 octaves. It comes in different sizes and a cheap cello still sounds pretty nice. It can sound like a violin or a double bass. Bowed or pizzicatto. Lead or rhythm. Great for extended technique noises. And we all know about the magic of 5th's tuning. Mind you I've never played one but have played with accomplished cellists in a number of contexts, electric and acoustic and I'm always blown away. Now if you could mount a cowbell on one....

catmandu2
May-03-2012, 11:02am
I agree, the disadvantage of lack of portability of the acoustic piano is a negative, as is the lack of a variety of timbre.

Since we're breaking this down a bit more than did the article...gotta put in a nod for the "stomach steinway" if portability is your penhcant (and you don't have an electrical outlet)

K-Lc7MhL7F8&feature=related

XUj6SlEX4mY&feature=related

neil argonaut
May-03-2012, 12:13pm
Since we're breaking this down a bit more than did the article...gotta put in a nod for the "stomach steinway" if portability is your penhcant (and you don't have an electrical outlet)

I tend to think an accordion is the worst kind of size for portability - heavy enough to be a pain to carry, but light enough that you're expected to. I think it's best to go for either something mandolin sized or smaller (concertina rather than accordion if squeezeboxes are your thing), penny whistle, harmonica etc, or something like a piano where you aren't expected to carry it to gigs on your back.

the padma
May-03-2012, 12:19pm
Which is the bodies best leg, the one on the left or the right?

catmandu2
May-03-2012, 12:27pm
I tend to think an accordion is the worst kind of size for portability - heavy enough to be a pain to carry, but light enough that you're expected to. I think it's best to go for either something mandolin sized or smaller (concertina rather than accordion if squeezeboxes are your thing), penny whistle, harmonica etc, or something like a piano where you aren't expected to carry it to gigs on your back.

But more convenient than those pipes behind maestro di Gesualdo. But yes, if you're not playing the Toccata & Fugue...why I play concertina and diatonic button accordians myself--although I do have a very heavy piano accordian that sounds killer...for blues and zydeco, ooh...

My partner said it best one day at one of our gigs: trying to explain to the audience why we cart along so many instruments (it's usually a point of interest to an audience), I self-deprecatingly said, "well we just can't decide what we like..." Then my partner simply said, "we like em all"

Even the little pokerwork is an expressive instrument
jxh6gbohJLs&feature=relmfu

JeffD
May-03-2012, 1:10pm

Or bandoneon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTPec8z5vdY

catmandu2
May-03-2012, 1:42pm
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/67/df04e316520c4f4eb18892f860f14b5b/l.jpg

Yes, but Spock's playing was devoid of emotion :sleepy: