PDA

View Full Version : Girouard #21

Max Girouard
Apr-26-2012, 4:52pm
I was fortunate enough to be able to build a mandolin for a local customer! It has been great having him up to the shop to check out the progress as things moved along. It has just been strung up in the white, and is ready for him to come play it tomorrow for his final approval. The plan is to get it sanded this weekend and into stain and finishing next week.

Max Girouard
Apr-26-2012, 4:59pm
A frend and I were practicing for a gig, and I decided to give #21 a trial run during practice. He is playing an old Ibanez from the 70's. We recorded it using a tascam DR100-MKII using the build in mics. He was sitting about a foot from the recorder, and I was playing #21 about 4 feet away and off to the side. In the intro to this song, we are both playing melody, then he takes the lead while I chop, then we switch off so that he's choping, and I'm playing lead. I'm pretty happy with the volume and tone I'm getting out of it for only being strung up for a couple of days.

Max Girouard
Apr-26-2012, 6:32pm
I also forgot to mention, my dog "Stump" a Welsh Corgi, is dancing around the whole time so you can hear her tags rattling around!

Fstpicker
Apr-26-2012, 11:10pm
Your dog keeps fairly good time! :) Nice sounding mandolin! Your customer is very fortunate to get such a lovely instrument.

Jeff

Ed Goist
Apr-27-2012, 6:13pm
Wonderful!

Rod Freeland
Apr-27-2012, 9:37pm
What's the tune that being played?? I like it.
R. Freeland

Max Girouard
Apr-28-2012, 8:58am
What's the tune that being played?? I like it.
R. Freeland

It's called Dan'l Boone, and can be found on the Sam Bush and David Grisman disc called "Hold On We're Strummin". Great disc by the way and highly recommended.

Max Girouard
May-18-2012, 10:48am
Got this one buffed out today, and strung up. Just some minor setup work and she will be ready for her new owner who only lives a few towns away. Lauri will get some glam photos this weekend and perhaps I'll get a recording.

OldGus
May-18-2012, 11:31am
Wonderful work Max! That mandolin is old enough to drink! Now I'm sure it will age like a fine wine... You and your wife have been up and coming like a Tidal Wave and turning them out like nobody's business. Congrats! Maybe one rendition of "You get a line and I'll get a pole..." before you send her off?

Ed Goist
May-18-2012, 11:33am
Wonderful Work Max! That mandolin is old enough to drink! Now I'm sure it will age like a fine wine... You and your wife have been up and coming like a Tidal Wave and turning them out like nobody's business. Congrats! Maybe one rendition of "You get a line and I'll get a pole..." before you send her off?

Beautifully said. +1!

lauri Girouard
May-18-2012, 6:59pm
Thank you for the kind words guys! We are trying and working a lot that is for sure.

Here are a few glam shots I took today because the light was just right.

Ed Goist
May-18-2012, 7:34pm
Just breathtaking!
Lauri; the stain on this one is just spectacular, and Max's detail work here is remarkable.
Outstanding.

Max Girouard
May-20-2012, 11:16am
The mando has sat for a couple of days strung up, so figured I'd make a recording. Recorded this right outside my shop (so you'll hear a few birds!) straight into a Tascam DR-100MKII portable recorder. One song is just melody, and the other just chord changes.

Ed Goist
May-20-2012, 12:28pm
Sounds fantastic Max!
Congratulations.