PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice

MrSrubas
Feb-20-2004, 9:44pm
I just upgraded mandolins to a Weber Aspen #1. I am real happy with it (My wife certainly isn't). Anyway, now I am looking to sell my Sweet Pea but am not sure really what to ask for it. It is less then a year old, and you'd never know it was played, except the maple fret board is "unfinished" and there are some finger prints that show up pretty good. It was a nice little mandy for it's size and price (Elderly $250.00). If you can make a suggestion, I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks,

John Flynn
Feb-20-2004, 10:34pm
Musician's Friend has Martin Backpackers for the same price as Elderly has the Sweet Pea new, $250. I saw a used Backpacker for $125 recently, in a big, reputable acoustic music store. So it was exactly half the online price new. It was in decent shape, but showed some wear, just like you describe on your Sweet Pea. While the Weber seems to be a little better instrument, Martin has the big nameplate, so I figure that cancels out. So based on that, I think $125 is about right.

John Flynn
Feb-20-2004, 10:41pm
P.S. for only $125, I'd keep it. I have a travel mando and those things are handy. People ridicule them, and its true they are not great instruments, but as a practice tool they are great. I have been on many a trip that I would not have played all week, and gone insane, if it weren't for a travel mando.

doanepoole
Feb-20-2004, 10:47pm
I'd also recommend keeping it,unless you are hard up for cash. I never take my mandolins to the beach, for example, because I'm paranoid and afraid that the salty, humid air will destroy my good instruments. Many have been the time where I wish I had something like a Sweet Pea to sit on the shore and pick. I, too, would hang on to it for travel purposes.

MrSrubas
Feb-20-2004, 10:54pm
THE BEACH!! man that would be great.
It's February, here in Wisconsin I'd trade the sweet pea for a lot anywhere near salt water. Not a bad thought, hanging on to it, might be nice for when the kids get a little older... I would like to see a couple a bucks back for it's big brother though.

doanepoole
Feb-20-2004, 11:13pm
Farbeit for me to giveyou financial advice, but I will anyway http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Consider $125. #I fit costs you $15 to fill up your gas tank, thats a little over 8 tanks....a childs joy at having a mandolin to play -- priceless (minus the hassle of finding a buyer, but I guess priceless minus anything is still priceless http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif )

pathfinder
Feb-21-2004, 3:34am
I'm with the other guys. #Keep it if you can, because lots of situations will arise. #For example:
1) Your kids. #They're easier to teach when the instructor (you) and the student each have a well-maintained Weber.
2) It's nice to have a 'stand-by' if the Aspen has to go into the shop (keeps your callouses and your chops well-honed).
3) The Sweet Pea would be ideal for camping trips or late-fall barbeques, when you don't want to expose the Aspen to the cooler, damper nights.
4) You can keep the Aspen at home and the Sweet Pea at work (for practicing on your lunch hour).

You may never find another one you'll like as well for $125 in 3-4 years.

Keith Miller
Feb-21-2004, 5:04am
for what it's worth I too would keep it, I've faithfully promised my wife I would sell each time I've bought a new mando to help with the cost, but still seem to have them all!
My 6 year old is now trying my 1st one (old german thing) and will probably be better than his old man in about a week http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

mcmando
Feb-23-2004, 2:50pm
Like Keith, I too have vowed to sell mandos only to wind up hanging on to them. I think this last one (#5) may be the straw that broke the camels back (not that my wife looks anything like a camel, mind you, it's only an expression...). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mcmando
Feb-23-2004, 2:52pm
Oh, and to stick more closely to the original post, I bought my son a sweet pea when he was 7. He's 8 now and still loves it. He finds it easier to hold and play than full size mandos.

MrSrubas
Feb-24-2004, 10:36pm
I have a fender (it was my first) that the neck twisted on, I bring it out for a little occupational theropy for my two year old while I am picking, I also have another "cheapy" that is in playable condition that I was anticipating teaching her with (eventually) but the size brings up a pretty good point. I'll hang onto it. Thanks for your replies.
S. Srubas

odeman
Feb-28-2004, 11:46am
I have 3 mandos, one of which is a Sweetpea. It's great to travel with. Also I use it as sort of a "practice bat". I play new songs on it, then when I pick up one of my good ones, the song seems to play itself. It's worth a lot more to me than the $125-$150 I would get for it if I sold it.
Keep it - it's also a nice conversation piece.