PDA

View Full Version : Aleyas #10 mandolin 2-point

Dlchap
Apr-20-2012, 7:49am
This is the last instrument to be completed in the old shop. I am currently working on a new shop with more room to move and a completely seperate location for finish work that should speed up construction time. It will be nice to let the finish dry on one while I curve on another downstairs.

Lee Chapman

billhay4
Apr-20-2012, 10:38am
That's some serious back and side wood. Where did you get it?
Heck, the top is nice too.
In fact, the entire instrument is very nice.
I'm putting in a new shop as we speak, so I can feel your enthusiasm.
Bill

Dlchap
Apr-20-2012, 11:39am
Thanks Bill, I purchased all of the wood from John Preston at http://oldworldtonewood.com/

His place is near me and I visit him several times a year. The back, sides and neck are Birch with a Carpathian spruce top, all of which I got from John. I suppose there are advantages to having a great wood broker so close to the house but there are times when the wife wishes otherwise!

Yeah, I'm very excited about the shop and I hope to be in it by the end of May. Good luck on your construction as well.

Lee

Randi Gormley
Apr-20-2012, 2:40pm
That back is incredible. Beautiful work indeed!

Grommet
Apr-21-2012, 1:31am
Wowza!

Skip Kelley
Apr-21-2012, 10:06am
Dlchap, That is a great looking mandolin! Nice work! Love the figured birch!

Dlchap
Apr-22-2012, 6:38am
Thanks guys. I was excited about how good the birch sounded as well. It fail right in between red and sugar maple but a little more complex than either one, I hope to work with it again.

Hopefully this one will make a fine addition to someone's collection.

Lee

Dlchap
Jun-20-2012, 2:02pm
This Mandolin is now at Cotten Music Center in TN if some one wants to check it out in person.

Thanks

Lee