PDA

View Full Version : Ratliff RA4 at Elderly

grandmainger
Dec-19-2004, 5:31pm
I'm looking at maybe getting and oval hole A and I saw this one at Eldery:
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4118.htm...
Anyone know this particualr one? Or perhaps another RA4 by Ratliff?

Cheers

Germain

grandmainger
Dec-29-2004, 5:26pm
... Shamelessly bringing this thread back to the top... C'mon folks! Someone must have visited Elderly over the Holidays! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

John Flynn
Dec-29-2004, 6:34pm
I played an RA4 that looked identical to that one at Music Folk in St. Louis about a year ago. I was not that impressed with it. It did not have that classic, tubby oval sound. It was kind of dead. Fit and finish were great, however. Also, it was in perfect shape and the price tag on it was only $850 if I remember right. That price on Elderly seems too high.

grandmainger
Dec-30-2004, 6:39am
Many thanks for that MJ. I'll pass on this one I think http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Lee
Dec-30-2004, 10:34am
Ratliff's website declares orders are being taken only for R5's at $3500, and RA5's. RA4's might be hard to find. $850 seems kinda cheap, but if it was a dud maybe it was priced accordingly. The one at Elderly might sound great, and certainly their EC is what most of us would term perfect condition. It's on consignment so it might not be priced where Elderly thinks it should be. I wouldn't toss it away so quickly without talking to them about it.

futrconslr
Dec-31-2004, 11:18am
I second Lee's comments. I favor Ratliff's mandos for reasons unrelated to their construction or sound. However, I will be the first to say that as w ith any makers instruments, you need to play it. The really cool thing about this maker is if you get a good one, its a good one. I bet I played 10 or so before I bought the one I have and have played three or for more since then looking for another one. JMHO. I have no financial interest. Blah Blah.

John Flynn
Dec-31-2004, 3:39pm
I favor Ratliff's mandos for reasons unrelated to their construction or sound
Am I understanding you to say that when you buy a mando, construction and sound are not deciding factors for you? I am fascinated to know: If not those, what criteria you do use to select a mandolin?

futrconslr
Dec-31-2004, 6:53pm
The problem with this medium of communication is that something gets lost between my fingers and the board. Of course construction or sound is the criteria for selecting a mando. Like I said I played 10 or so Ratliffs before I kept the one I got from Charles....Thanks Charles. I wanted it to sound good at least to my ears. By the way, I am looking for another instrument, from another maker because I have decided, at least to my ears that I will never be able to produce the sound I am wanting to get with my Ratliff. My Rat is still a great mando. I am keeping it barring some unforseen financial difficulty.

The shop Ratliff makes his mandos in is an old filling station that my father worked at as a teenager. They are made in the little small town my grandfather lives in, his father and his father's father died in. The wood comes from the region . Audey is my my kind of people. He is a nice guy and makes a decent instrument for the money. I took this in consideration when I choose a Ratliff over a Flatiron because at the time those two "brands" for lack of a better word were the Fs in my price range built and finished the way I wanted. Thats all I was saying. I dont profess to be some mando tone expert. I know what I like and what I dont like and I guess I am a little sentimental as well. If I raised someone's hackles, I am sorry.

grandmainger
Dec-31-2004, 10:04pm
The one at Elderly might sound great, and certainly their EC is what most of us would term perfect condition. #It's on consignment so it might not be priced where Elderly thinks it should be. #I wouldn't toss it away so quickly without talking to them about it.
That's where my problem is you see... I'm in the UK, and therefore would be buying "blind" (or deaf rather ;) )
I just wanted to get an opinion of someone who would have actually played it... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Lee
Jan-03-2005, 11:58am
Youch, the UK import duties are a killer. I'd shop domestic if possible. It's almost worth the money to fly here and hand-carry something home with you.
Or, start a thread called "Who lives near Elderly".

FlawLaw
Feb-02-2005, 5:12pm
I just want to revive this thread to note that I have since purchased that very mandolin and it is a wonderful instrument. It was interesting when I searched this forum and found that my instrument had its very own thread.