PDA

View Full Version : Good Bad or Ugly ?

jstout
Apr-15-2012, 6:09pm
85083https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?saduie=AG9B_P8wJr-hm2H82oQGYs5VnD-d&attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=136b8387b67d6047

Paul Busman
Apr-15-2012, 6:39pm
Are we missing something here?

Marty Henrickson
Apr-15-2012, 6:42pm
Yes, the picture isn't showing up.

yankees1
Apr-15-2012, 6:45pm
I will vote for Good----until further info!

OldSausage
Apr-15-2012, 7:12pm
Give me bad, any day

jstout
Apr-15-2012, 7:13pm

Hmm, kinda strange I see it good on my end, anyway I tried again looks smaller, just click on it.

journeybear
Apr-15-2012, 7:28pm
Info, please? Guessing it's a strap. Any chance we could see it in use or some similar context?

Mike Bunting
Apr-15-2012, 7:36pm
It's one of Sully's straps. Looks good.

jstout
Apr-15-2012, 7:37pm
Yes..............it's one of Sullys mandolin straps, was wondering how long it would take someone to put Sully's name on it, that boy sure gets around for a banjo player:)

yankees1
Apr-15-2012, 8:50pm
Yes, very good indeed! Like it!

OldSausage
Apr-15-2012, 11:24pm
Now I can see it, it's not bad or ugly, although since this thread seems to be all about opinions, mine is that aesthetically I would favor a simpler design in mando straps. Would be great on a banjo though.

journeybear
Apr-15-2012, 11:33pm
That's why I wanted to see it in context. I can't determine the scale. It does look like a bit of overkill; that is, heavier and stronger that it needs to be. And I hope those are stitches, not rivets! :disbelief:

Mike Bunting
Apr-16-2012, 12:35am
You don't know about Sully's Straps. Turn off your TV.
http://www.sullysstraps.com/

journeybear
Apr-16-2012, 1:07am
Turned off the TV a long time ago. Over two hours. Guy starts a thread and posts a picture with no info or explanation. Make of it what you will, I guess. I did.

Going back to the TV. Or better yet, to sleep. :sleepy:

Marty Henrickson
Apr-16-2012, 5:31am
That's pretty nice. You actually can get a sense of the scale from the strap pin holes.

I'm not familiar with Sully, either. Maybe he should make some TV commercials. ;)

doc holiday
Apr-16-2012, 8:07am
JS Nice Sully strap!:)

Bertram Henze
Apr-16-2012, 8:15am
All of them - Sergio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmdAsL1n6q4) would be proud.

jstout
Apr-16-2012, 8:51am
Turned off the TV a long time ago. Over two hours. Guy starts a thread and posts a picture with no info or explanation. Make of it what you will, I guess. I did.

Going back to the TV. Or better yet, to sleep. :sleepy:

I don't have the strap yet, when I get it I will post pictures with scale and info, Hell men it's just a mandolin strap, shoulder piece is probably less than 2 inches wide and eight inches long, strap is 3/8 inches x 40 inches, I have bought a few straps from Sully, he does make them to last, which is what I wanted and I already have some plain straps and a few flimsy ones that were not what they were advertised to be.
This strap is too small for a banjo or guitar.

Barry Wilson
Apr-16-2012, 1:22pm
the mandolin is so light, I don't see a need for a wide shoulder part, other than looks I guess. That said it's nice looking. the only wide padded strap I use is on the electric bass because it weighs a ton. in the end though, the only opinion that matters is yours.

Mike Bunting
Apr-16-2012, 1:39pm
Sully makes really nice straps and will custom fit them. I have a couple that have a loop on the one end like yours and an end pin hole on the body of the strap itself.

peterleyenaar
Apr-16-2012, 1:44pm
You don't know about Sully's Straps. Turn off your TV.
http://www.sullysstraps.com/

I have no t.v.

jstout
Apr-16-2012, 2:11pm
Sully makes really nice straps and will custom fit them. I have a couple that have a loop on the one end like yours and an end pin hole on the body of the strap itself.

I agree, I have had good luck with his straps and his fast friendly service, Im thinking some folks dont like the vintage look, but I do that's why I bought the collings MF satin finish with black binding, this strap outa go good with it

Mike Bunting
Apr-16-2012, 2:26pm
I agree, I have had good luck with his straps and his fast friendly service, Im thinking some folks dont like the vintage look, but I do that's why I bought the collings MF satin finish with black binding, this strap outa go good with it

It will, no doubt.

Marty Henrickson
Apr-16-2012, 3:30pm
That strap should look great with your Collings. I'm thinking about making a strap for my Weber out of an old leather work belt to give it that "worn-in" look from the start. Looking at the pic of your strap, I'm thinking I should definitely narrow it down.

terzinator
Apr-16-2012, 4:08pm
Now I can see it, it's not bad or ugly, although since this thread seems to be all about opinions, mine is that aesthetically I would favor a simpler design in mando straps. Would be great on a banjo though.

yeah, I'm in this camp

bmac
Apr-16-2012, 4:52pm
Since a bootlace will work fine on any mandolin I think it is a bit of an overkill. Looks like it will hold an anvil comfortably.

My mandos weigh roughly a pound,,, Oooooh the back pain!!!!

jstout
Apr-17-2012, 8:50am
Since a bootlace will work fine on any mandolin I think it is a bit of an overkill. Looks like it will hold an anvil comfortably.

My mandos weigh roughly a pound,,, Oooooh the back pain!!!!

Man.......... I can feel your pain, if that one pound mandolin is hard on your back, adding this 6 ounce strap would probably cripple you, I think the bootlace is a good idea, or just get you a harmonica that oughta provide some relief for that weak back.
good luck

Axeman
Apr-17-2012, 8:59am
Maybe I buck the trend but I don't like skinny straps. Never did.

rico mando
Apr-17-2012, 9:10am
I'm still waiting for Clint Eastwood

jstout
Apr-17-2012, 9:13am
Maybe I buck the trend but I don't like skinny straps. Never did.

Me, either but I guess that's what makes a horse race, differnce of opinion.