PDA

View Full Version : The Jolly Soldier

Larry S Sherman
Apr-14-2012, 9:29pm
Surfing Youtube I came across this video of Paul, Andy, and Donal. Great stuff and Paul on what looks like a Gibson A-2?

KHbPJEkmZwY

Larry

Dave Hanson
Apr-15-2012, 3:19am
I didn't recognise the guitarist, the tune at the end is The Blarney Pilgrim.

Dave H

Steve L
Apr-15-2012, 3:32am
That's Donal Lunny on guitar. I love this stuff, thanks for posting.

Nick Gellie
Apr-15-2012, 3:46am
The guitarist is Donal Lunny. He usually plays irish bouzouki. Andy Irvine is doing counterpoint on the greek bouzouki. This is a great series of early videos made of them performing at the Embankment in London.

Jeroen
Apr-15-2012, 6:41am
These are the guys that then and there planted the bouzouki (at the time there wasn't such a thing as "irish bouzouki") and mandolin, from nowhere, solidly in Irish folk music. Their influence can hardly be underestimated. Although several decennia after the birth of Rock&Roll and Jazz, they almost single-handedly created something that within two or three years was labeled as "traditional" rather than "eclectic" or "modern".
Hey, have we heard a story like that?

I wish John McGann was around to chime in (or correct me) with his signature tickling knowledgable wits, wisdom and stubborn views.

If you like the video posted, do find a copy of Andy Irvine and Paul Brady's self titled 1976 album. I think Rens van der Zalm (or one of his talented cousins Walter and Onno Kuipers) once said: "we played that record until we could hear the flipside sounding through".

Steve L
Apr-15-2012, 7:32am
"Player zero" of the bouzouki in Irish music is usually thought to be Johnny Moynihan of Sweeny's Men (who may have been introduced to it by British singer Anne Briggs). Alec Finn is another of the founding fathers so to speak. They were both in the seminal 70's band De Dannan.

Jeroen
Apr-15-2012, 9:26am
Thanks Steve, I should not let my admiration for the Planxty guys get in the way of historical accuracy. :redface: