PDA

View Full Version : What percentage of mando world is represented here

levin4now
Dec-19-2004, 3:01pm
I was surprised this summer at Kaufman Mandolin Kamp by the number of pickers that had never heard of the Cafe. I figured every picker ought to know about it. Do you run into many people that have never heard about it? And have you ever made anyone's day by pointing them in this direction?

JiminRussia
Dec-19-2004, 9:51pm
I point it out often. I don't know what percentage of the mandolin population that we represent here is, but it is the TOP "whatever the per centage is" of the mandoloin playing world! Maybe the others are too busey playing their mandolins to hang out here.

Tom C
Dec-20-2004, 7:51am
.. Or working.

mike_c
Dec-20-2004, 9:38am
i'm thinking most all of the montana mando pickers

John Craton
Dec-20-2004, 10:35am
Given the mandolin's popularity in Japan, I'd say there are tens of thousands of Japanese pickers not represented here. (Any Japanese members care to give us a hint?)

pickinpox
Dec-20-2004, 11:50am
I make a point of asking every mandolin picker I meet if they are a Cafe member. I am also suprised at how few I run into. Most that are messaging seem to know about Comando. I always recommend checking out this site. I remember someones signature line on here, "We few...we happy few." Seems appropriate.

keymandoguy
Dec-20-2004, 2:04pm
I have one of those great mandolin cafe stickers on my back bumper ! We all need to get more mandolins going http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Flynn
Dec-20-2004, 2:45pm
Do you run into many people that have never heard about it? #And have you ever made anyone's day by pointing them in this direction?
I wouldn't say I run into a lot of people who haven't heard of it, but I do encouter a few. I don't know about making someone's day, but I have gotten thanks from people who I have turned onto the Cafe'.

My take on the situation is that there are several categories of players with regard to the Cafe'. There are those who don't know about it and then those who know, but for whatever reason don't use it that much. This second group may be members, but rarely log on. Then there are lurkers, who look often, but post rarely, and then there are the addicts, like myself. There are likely gradations in between. I imagine that all those categories might roughly fit into a bell curve.

Someone asked Mike Compton about the Cafe' at a workshop I attended. My interpretation of what he said was that he lurks occasionally, but he feels that being a professional musician, it is not appropriate for him to post under his own name. If he took sides in one of our heated discussions, or told some of us that we were full of it, which let's face it, sometimes we are, it would have implications beyond what it would have for a typical member. I resepect that.

OdnamNool
Dec-21-2004, 6:01am
BAH HUMBUG... We're all just...people...

OdnamNool
Dec-21-2004, 6:47am
Diggin' this time-o-year... Mmmm Mmmm. Eggnog! Happy Holidays to all! And most especially to the folks who have been nice to me... I appreciate it and I thank you.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Oh if only I could... I would change the world. Peace.

Love.

Suzanne

lindensensei
Dec-21-2004, 10:45am
I have probably gotten a dozen or so people involved and playing mandolin over the last year alone. #After helping pick out an instrument the next thing I do is to take them to the Mandloin Cafe. #I don't know how many have joined, but I know they all use it. #I think younger folks have more to do than sit around and post.

John Flynn
Dec-21-2004, 10:48am
BAH HUMBUG... We're all just...people...
Speak for yourself. Some of us are alien life forms! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Flowerpot
Dec-21-2004, 11:17am
I think that like anything else on the internet, the cafe demographic is a certain subset of the whole. Younger white collar types are over-represented, and we're missing the segment of mandolin players who never had a good reason to learn how to type. And then you've got those people who work long hours (and never touch a computer during the day) and spend what little free time they have doing something other than clacking on a keyboard. And then you have people who don't have the $$$ for a computer and monthly internet access fees. And then there are those who don't speak English. The list goes on and on.

What percentage? I have no idea, but I'd be surprised if it was close to 50%. But in cross section, I'd guess that on average the folks here are well educated, refined, well-mannered, and good looking. Wouldn't you agree?