PDA

View Full Version : Question on amp'ing

Pen
Dec-19-2004, 12:49pm
I've searched the threads here and wanted confirmation I'm understanding this.

I occasionally play with a group that amplifies and my mando just doesn't cut through. It seems the consensus is that a mic sounds better than a pickup. All I need to buy is a mic (recommendations in the $100 or less range plz) and plug it into my amp? Is there anything I can buy to control the volume from the mic instead of the amp?

Thanks!

John Rosett
Dec-19-2004, 7:30pm
i have a fender acoustisonic, and i would not recommend it. i don't think that it has enough power if you're in a band with drums and electric instruments. also, the acoustisonic isn't the most "heavy duty" piece of gear. all the control knobs have plastic shahfts that are attached to the internal curcuit boards, rather than being attached to the face panel. they break off very easily.
just my $.02, but i'd look for an acoustic amp with better build quality and more power than the acoustisonic.
john

mandroid
Dec-19-2004, 7:30pm
Microphone broad generalization: ,volume depends how close you are so thats your control for loudness ..

Unless you specifically buy a High Impedance model of a Dynamic (type) Mic, most Microphones are low impedance so an amp with a preamp for the purpose is needed. 2 channel acoustic amps, ala fender acoustasonics ,#do have a mic channel since product is aimed #at #the singer & guitar player market.
(as said above not great quality)
there is an impedance matching transformer that will do in a pinch, you plug your dynamic mic into it with XLR cable on one end , and it goes into the 1/4" jack on the other.
but a mic works best going in a mic preamp as it has a bit more gain than the circuit behind a 1/4 jack assumes youre putting in.

I would consider the better Acoustic or keyboard amps with a high frequency tweeter + main driver, over the electric guitar with one speaker and dirty-overdrive tone as a feature amp.

a small mixer and an active 2 way PA speaker will do a good job, and with the phantom power available a small condenser microphone can be used, like AKG C 900 (about $70.00) wider frequency response, and greater sensitivity, so you dont have to be right up close to have adaquate level of sound..
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif