PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Bridge height on The loar LM600 Mandolin

Mandolin-Tele
Apr-10-2012, 9:59pm
I know this is a silly question but if want to lower the bass side of the bridge
which way do I turn the wheel to lower the action ????

Mandolin-Tele
Apr-10-2012, 10:38pm
OK I found a Video Lowering is turn wheel right
raising is turn wheel left

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page2451.htm

resophil
Apr-10-2012, 10:42pm
There's only two ways to turn it...

Try one way and if it does what you want it to, bingo! If it doesn't, go the other way...

(Hint: it's possible to lower the bridge by turning the thumbwheels, but almost impossible to raise without loosening the tension on the strings somewhat. Use this as a practical guide towards learning something mechanical...)

Mike Bunting
Apr-10-2012, 10:53pm
You should be able to look at the threads and tell which way to turn the thumbwheels.

Mandolin-Tele
Apr-10-2012, 11:02pm
If you read my second post I ALREADY FOUND HOW TO DO IT MYSELF

But it was fun to see that I'm not the only one who didn't know how....Lol

ColdBeerGoCubs
Apr-11-2012, 9:42am
Congratulations, you figured out how to lower your bridge AND USE THE INTERNET.

Mike Bunting
Apr-11-2012, 11:00am
Congratulations, you figured out how to lower your bridge AND USE THE INTERNET.

:grin:

hedgehog
Apr-11-2012, 11:30am
I love the use of cap's. If done right it's so passively agressive while keeping the lower forms in our place. Like when I was young and said something I shouldn't have and my grandmother gave me a cold hard slap in the face. While not exactly PC by todays standards I guarentee you that the mistake was never repeated. Note to self, be careful with Mando-Tele he's quick to use the cap key.

Mike Bunting
Apr-11-2012, 11:44am
I think it's funny that he had to use the internet to figure out up from down.

Mandolin-Tele
Apr-11-2012, 5:23pm
Sorry guys I didn't think that using the cap's key was rude but after re-reading my post it looked like it to me....sorry

I was trying to bring attention that I already found the answer and at the same time show how its done

Lowering is turn wheel right, raising is turn wheel left

Mandolin-Tele
Apr-11-2012, 7:34pm
There's only two ways to turn it...

Try one way and if it does what you want it to, bingo! If it doesn't, go the other way...

(Hint: it's possible to lower the bridge by turning the thumbwheels, but almost impossible to raise without loosening the tension on the strings somewhat. Use this as a practical guide towards learning something mechanical...)

Thanks, I was afraid that if I loosen up the strings the bridge would move forward or backwards and the intonation would be off so I did what you said and the top part of the bridge went down and my action was much better

JEStanek
Apr-11-2012, 8:03pm
You are a prickly snarky bunch, eh? Lets remember to keep it positive, please.

Jamie

Ben Milne
Apr-11-2012, 11:28pm
Of course you can only lower a theloar bridge so far, before you figure out you need to start removing wood to achieve a desirable action.

hedgehog
Apr-12-2012, 1:04am
Yeah a bit snarky ..... but great comeback from Mr. Mandolin-Tele, that's the true test. The ability to sit back and say , "Wait a minute" to ones self is not common on the internet. The cap key has turned a good conversation in an unintended direction more than several times. Well done sir.

Mandolin-Tele
Apr-12-2012, 7:07am
Mr hedgehog good comeback sir
It's amazing what simple, kind words can do for you... even from someone you don't even know

And snarky would be a great avator name :)

hedgehog
Apr-12-2012, 11:16am
Okay, now here's a little secret just between you and me .....

When moving the bridge up, you've got to move it slowly down until the strings buzz then move it back up until they stop, here's the secret part, I don't loosen the strings. I have a nicely sized screw driver with the edges smoothed a bit that fits nicely between the bridge base and the moveable bridge top. By wedging the screw driver enough to take most of the string pressure off the adjustment wheels you can adjust up with the strings still at pitch. Yes, the mandolin goes sharp, but not enough to pop your strings. I usually adjust, tune, look for a buzz and adjust again until the magic adjustment where string buzz goes away. .... but you must keep that between you and me. :)

Mandolin-Tele
Apr-12-2012, 12:55pm
Okay, now here's a little secret just between you and me .....

When moving the bridge up, you've got to move it slowly down until the strings buzz then move it back up until they stop, here's the secret part, I don't loosen the strings. I have a nicely sized screw driver with the edges smoothed a bit that fits nicely between the bridge base and the moveable bridge top. By wedging the screw driver enough to take most of the string pressure off the adjustment wheels you can adjust up with the strings still at pitch. Yes, the mandolin goes sharp, but not enough to pop your strings. I usually adjust, tune, look for a buzz and adjust again until the magic adjustment where string buzz goes away. .... but you must keep that between you and me. :)

Good advice thank you

FloridaCracker
Apr-12-2012, 4:27pm
I have been fairly insulted by some folks on here but in the end most exchanges end in some sort of peaceful resolution ot at least an agrreement to disagree :)
I have been messing with the bridge on my Loar 520 since I got it. I finally decided to just buy a CA replacement. Still havent fitted it yet.

hedgehog
Apr-12-2012, 5:10pm
Fitting a bridge is not a simple process. It's one of the few things that I would actually go to a mechanic and gladly pay to have done properly.

resophil
Apr-12-2012, 6:07pm
If you read my second post I ALREADY FOUND HOW TO DO IT MYSELF

Well, Mr. CAPITAL LETTERS indignant Mandolin-Tele, if you'll check the 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread, you'll find that they are 4 minutes apart. I was typing my reply while you were posting, and couldn't have seen your post stating that you had already figured this out... Sheesh!

You got this one coming :) : http://wiseacre-gardens.com/sound/bugs_imbessil.wav

Mandolin-Tele
Apr-12-2012, 9:25pm
Well, Mr. CAPITAL LETTERS indignant Mandolin-Tele, if you'll check the 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread, you'll find that they are 4 minutes apart. I was typing my reply while you were posting, and couldn't have seen your post stating that you had already figured this out... Sheesh!

You got this one coming :) : http://wiseacre-gardens.com/sound/bugs_imbessil.wav

Please read post #11 I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding please except my humble apoligy....please read all the posts

this is the first time I have ever had a misunderstanding on a forum I didn't know that capital letters would cause such a problem

my intention was to point out that I found the answer not be rude....again I'm sorry

FloridaCracker
Apr-12-2012, 9:32pm
I know fitting a bridge isnt easy. Derr thats why it isn't on there right now. The luthier is an hour and a half away.

FloridaCracker
Apr-12-2012, 9:34pm
A mechanic would be good for putting a new head gasket in your Volvo, but idk if any mechanic no matter how many ASE certifications he has, would really be any better at fitting a mandolin bridge than myself... :)

resophil
Apr-12-2012, 9:41pm
... I'm sorry...

Spoken as a gentleman! Apology accepted, and topic forgotten.

Mandolin-Tele
Apr-12-2012, 9:57pm
I am going to put a new cumberland bridge on my The loar LM600 Mandolin when the money is available but right now it sounds pretty good

I've compared it to a bunch of different mandolins....Weber, Breedlove and a few others and this "The Loar" sounded excellent next to them

anyway I can hardly wait till I can get a new cumberland bridge and I'm hoping it will improve all aspects of the mandolin especially the chop sound

again sorry to all for the misunderstanding with the capps

FloridaCracker
Apr-13-2012, 9:58am
It's okay!!!!! :)

interestingly - it won't allow me to enter all caps...

hedgehog
Apr-13-2012, 11:08am
FloridaCracker - Feisty sort aren't we. As a pilot is a jet driver, a luthier is a instrument mechanic. I'm not looking for a fight but to use the word "Derr" is calling me a f-ing idiot, for the sake of brevity, I can't say as I appreciate it. But then again the word ‘Derr” has NEVER exactly been a term of endearment now has it.

I don't drive a volvo, I drive a Ford and I'm perfectly capable of putting a head gasket on my Harley, but I won't try to fit a new bridge on my mandolin. I have refined the bridge fit on an old one though.

JEStanek
Apr-13-2012, 12:10pm
I've often found it unproductive to get my dander up at something someone I don't know, who's not offering me anything particularly helpful, says. There's no need to either be or feed the Trolls.

Jamie

hedgehog
Apr-13-2012, 12:48pm
I try not to be trollish in nature or tone, having been a long time moderator on another message board it's easy to appreciate your moderating. But a hold over from being deep in the trenches are the scars left that have made me less patient with possible or in some cases probable insults than someone of my age should be. I appreciate that Mando-tele understands his mistake of using caps, he has been more than gracious in his responses, But when someone sticks his finger in my eye on purpose it’s difficult for an old guy like me not to blink with a to the point comeback.

Barry Wilson
Apr-13-2012, 1:08pm
just try setting the 600 up and playing it for a while. I have the stock bridge and this 600 barks now. we had 3 mandolins here 2 days ago jamming and this 600 had the nicest sounding chop. the low end is impressive. my only complaint is the florida/fretboard extension. man I hate that thing. it takes a while playing for them to open up. someday when this thing needs a new bridge, I will grab a ca, but the stock one does an adequate job

hedgehog
Apr-13-2012, 1:19pm
I haven't found the need to change out the bridge on my LM-600 either, but I have sanded the feet to give it a better fit. You couldn't see and light under the feet, but when examining them during a string change there were deffinatly obvious contact points to be seen. Can't definately say that it helped the sound, but it certainly didn't hurt which is a good thing all in itself. I keep getting short term eppisodes of MAS, but playing my LM-600 reminds me that there really isn't much to gain with a mandolin I can actually afford. The LM-600 (as is evidently true of the 500 series as well) really is a very decent mandolin.

FloridaCracker
Apr-13-2012, 8:15pm
Excuse me hedgehog but your snarky and presumtuous remark is the reason I felt compelled to say DERR!!! WOW you really are a sensitive lot. And Mod- come on now man, you know damned well I am no troll.

FloridaCracker
Apr-13-2012, 8:19pm
I guess your assumption that I know absolutely nothing caused me to use a word. "derr" in my vocabulary is a jocular referrence to someone stating the obvious. Btw I work in a high-end machine shop and I'm pretty certain my buddy who machines and hand fits $30k fancy rich guy pool cues and myself could probably manage to fit a bridge. <Racist comment removed by Moderator>

hedgehog
Apr-13-2012, 8:38pm
Yes, belated revenge insulting is common on message boards, especially several posts after I felt that Mando-Tele and I came to an understanding about the effect using the cap's key does on internet communication. Use of the cap key is really what that was all about. I know and knew at the time that you laid a little insult at my feet and I chose to respond by acknowledging the insult. I also know that a poster who is somewhat trollish by naturel will now grasp a comeback such as mine as an opportunity to us the same or similar insult on the poster at every opportunity. Admittedly, after moderating or more than 7 years on a far more contentious board than this I posted knowing exactly how the response would be, it's really all so common on the internet. By-the-way, It's also bad form to start questioning the motivation of a moderator. He's simply trying to keep the peace as the board rules stipulate.

hedgehog
Apr-13-2012, 8:45pm
Ahhhh yes a slight modification and clarification on skill level. Another common comeback, you may be the very greatest technician in the world, I will not question that for one minute, but with this being a board that works with all levels of technical skill it does a bit of a diservice to write as if the average guy can easily fit a bridge. You very likely can do the job, many of us can fit a bridge, but not all of us. Even with the very best bridge in the world, a poor fit will not improve your mandolin. Yes, that is an obvious statement, but a critical one for someone attempting to fit their bridge.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-13-2012, 9:03pm
Might I suggest that a few folks on this thread read more and post less. The answers being posted are basically trolling and honestly, this isn't what this forum is all about. The OP was beat up pretty bad for a small mistake that they apologized for at least twice, maybe three times. No sense in letting this drag on. It's a big Internet, find someplace else to try and pick fights.

Ted Eschliman
Apr-14-2012, 6:08am
What Mike and Jamie said.