PDA

View Full Version : Monroe style mandolin

M D SMITH
Apr-10-2012, 5:23pm
I was wondering if there is a difference in how to go about learning the raw sounding Bill Monroe style mandolin vs. a more refined, say Chris Thile, style? I notice that most all of the books and videos I see on mandolin playing talk about how you always use alternate picking when playing eight notes, but I've also heard that part of Bill Monroe's sound comes from him using a lot of down strokes( which may or may not be true, it's just what I've read). Anyway, is there any real difference in how you approach learning the mandolin if you're mainly interested in that particular style?

MandoSquirrel
Apr-10-2012, 5:34pm
If you want to learn Monroe's style,you need to listen to & watch videos of Monroe. Sam Bush's Homespun vids on Monroe style and the Monroe book/CD sets by Todd Collins & Joe Carr will help a lot. There's also a book by Butch Baldassari that tabs the 16 Gems CD. Some people recommend Chris Henry's vid, but I haven't seen it.

mandobassman
Apr-10-2012, 7:51pm
And, yes, practice lots of down strokes. I played with a excellent mandolin player for several years that had studied and mastered the Monroe sound and he played a lot of down strokes, sometimes through nearly an entire lead.

sgarrity
Apr-10-2012, 8:36pm
Less is more with Monroe style mandolin. It's not about the notes as much as it is about the space in the music and overall feel. Listen to lots of Monroe, Compton, Roland White, Wakefield and buy Joe Carrs book. It's a good introduction.

John Gardinsky
Apr-10-2012, 8:41pm
Here are some but not all the elements that helped contribute to Monroe's sound: Tremelo, alternate picking, syncopated rhythm patterns, downstrokes, triplets, double stops and drone strings, playing the melody, blue notes and the secret ingredient....love:) His style changed quite a bit through his career. Check out some of his stuff starting in the late 30's by decade through the 80's. You'll hear a difference. Listening is the number one learning aid, but a close second is the online lessons with Mike Compton.

Don Grieser
Apr-10-2012, 8:50pm
You'll do plenty of alternate picking in the Monroe style. But when you want to say something with power, those downstrokes will do the trick.

A few thoughts:
1. Listen to a lot of Monroe from all time periods.

2. Get some lessons over the net with Mike Compton or by tape with Lou Martin.

3. You may have to adjust your technique, but it's worth it.

4. Slow down Monroe breaks and solos and figure out what he's playing--there's lots of sneaky/quirky phrasing/note choices to get the sound he got.

5. A lot of it is attitude.

Ed Goist
Apr-10-2012, 9:02pm
6. Listen to Don Grieser.

Wilbur James
Apr-10-2012, 9:18pm
The Monroe mandolin camp, directed by Mike Compton is a great doorway into learning the different approaches Monroe used in his playing style. You will also be surrounded by many players who know or seek an understanding of Mr. Monroe and his mandolin!

mommythrice
Apr-10-2012, 9:49pm
The Monroe mandolin camp, directed by Mike Compton is a great doorway into learning the different approaches Monroe used in his playing style. You will also be surrounded by many players who know or seek an understanding of Mr. Monroe and his mandolin!

+1 And it's fun!