PDA

View Full Version : Introduction... mandolinist from Spain

narrick
Apr-09-2012, 5:10pm
first of all, sorry if (when) i make any mistakes in my writing, my written english is just as good as my pronunciation :redface:

i've been following this forum for almost 2 years now... before i started to play mandolin (i started about 1 year and 6 months ago). this forum has been a great guide in my transition from guitar to mandolin. i'd like to thank you all for that

as i say in the tittle, i am from spain. it's not the best place for a mandolin player... the music shops here have no mandolins, and if you are lucky and find one, it will most likely be the lowest level stagg. it's even worse if we talk about instructional material, thank god that amazon exists!!

i had to buy my fist mandolin (a kentuck km150) online from hobgoblin, having no chance to try it, but i am very happy with it. i use it to play irish traditional music mostly, as i usually play in an irish trad session in my city. i usually play some bluegrass an oldtime tunes too, sometimes a rag... i love to learn new tunes.

for my next mandolin, i'd like to travel to england and visit mandolin heaven!! (tamco) but i have to save some money before

Ron McMillan
Apr-09-2012, 10:49pm
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are already enjoying your 'new' instrument, if you can participate happily in Irish sessions.

I have never been to TAMCO either, but one of these days.....

ron

billkilpatrick
Apr-09-2012, 10:58pm
bienvenuto! - similar situation where i live, here in italy: there are two music shops in nearby siena, about an hour's drive away, both of which have very little in the way of mandolin related items. hope you enjoy your 1st of many, many mandolins!

Randi Gormley
Apr-10-2012, 8:19pm
Welcome to the cafe! Glad to see you.

narrick
Apr-11-2012, 2:44am
blueron, i just play 4 or 5 tunes (the little beggarman, the maid behind the bar, swallow tail jig, road to lisdoonvarna, cooley's reel...)with the mandolin in the session, in most tunes i play backup guitar. it's not a session with high level musicians... we are from begginer to average players, but we have fun and we drink beer, so i think we don't do it so bad for an irish trad session :mandosmiley: