PDA

View Full Version : ALVAREZ MANDOLIN

Hal Loflin
Dec-17-2004, 6:05pm
I need help identifying this mandolin. It is an Alvarez obtained from the original owner that says he bought it in 1976. It does not have a label on the inside but has "MADE BY ALVEREZ" stamped inside the treble F hole. No serial numbers or Made in Japan stamped either. I would like to know the model and what type of wood it is. Any help is appreciated.

Hal Loflin
Dec-17-2004, 6:07pm
One more thing...I will email more pictures if you email me at smyrnagc@bellsouth.net.

Thanks

OlderThanWillie
Dec-17-2004, 8:19pm
If the truss rod cover has two screws it is a Japanese-made model. Newer versions have three screws.

Here's a clip of the A700 model from a page in the 1977 St. Louis Music Co. catalog:

f5loar
Dec-25-2004, 11:55pm
If it says "The Alvarez" at the top (it sure looks like it to me) then this is nowhere near the A700 from 1977. First off it's a bound headstock. The big curl is much better quality then the A700 and the wood looks a bit better grade. Looks like an early 70's high end model to me. Some of these have turned out to be great sounding F models. I'd say it's a made in Japan too.

Hal Loflin
Dec-26-2004, 11:15am
f5loar:

Can I email you some more pictures and get you to take a look at this mandolin? My email address is smyrnagc@bellsouth.net.

THanks