PDA

View Full Version : vintage bowlback mandola...

germano
Mar-31-2012, 5:11am
No matter where I look, I can't find a vintage bowlback mandola. I play the viola and it would be a natural slide-sidewase instrument for me to take up. Any ideas where I might find such an animal?

Tks in advance for any info possible.

allenhopkins
Mar-31-2012, 11:12am
Lark Street Music in Teaneck NJ has had a Ditson bowl-back mandola on its inventory list -- for years, I believe -- for $895. If you use this link, (http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/stock.html) and scroll down to the "Mandolins" section, you can access pics of it.

It's very like the Washburn bowl-back mandola I own, with one of the alternating-maple-and-rosewood-staves bodies. I would guess it was made in the early 20th century. Buzzy at Lark Street says it was "made by Martin," but I'd disagree; I've seen those maple/rosewood bodies on several Chicago-made brands, never on a Martin. I'd guess it was made by Lyon & Healy; Ditson was a distributor and music store, didn't make their own instruments, contracted with manufacturers (like Martin) to build for them.

I've had good luck with my old Washburn, though it has a cracked and dished top that's been restored a zillion times. Hope the Ditson is something like what you're seeking.

germano
Apr-01-2012, 3:35am
Thank you Allen.

I am in awe of the vast knowledge base of this forum. And let's not forget the recommendations that are prompt and spot-on.

Thank you.

germano
_____

allenhopkins
Apr-01-2012, 11:17am
Let us know if you end up buying it. As you discovered, vintage bowl-back mandolas aren't exactly common. I'd be interested in an owner's opinion of the Ditson.

Jim Garber
Apr-02-2012, 11:47am
I played that mandola years ago. I wish I could remember but it did not impress me all that much. I would ask lots of questions like action and whether the neck is bowed. I had an American Conservatory some time ago but sold it. As a side line... try and find a case for that one. Good luck!!

European mandolas are around but the caveat for a viola player is that they are generally built to be played in octave tuning, tho I have a Calace one and I strung it pretty light and tune it to CGDA.

Schlegel
Apr-02-2012, 6:13pm
European mandolas are around but the caveat for a viola player is that they are generally built to be played in octave tuning, tho I have a Calace one and I strung it pretty light and tune it to CGDA.

They can be found- I have a German mandola and it's obviously meant for CGDA. I think you have to reach an 18" scale for octave to really work.

brunello97
Apr-02-2012, 7:14pm
Germano, I have three US built bowl-dolas. Two nameless ones are under repair but should be playable by the end of summer (I work very slowly.) If you are still in the market in August, and are at all interested, send me a PM.

Mick

allenhopkins
Apr-02-2012, 9:15pm
...try and find a case for that one. Good luck!!...

I ended up building my own (crude!) hardshell case for my Washburn bowl-back mandola. It came with an old leather case which I couldn't repair and which fell apart after a couple years.