PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Mandolin Recomendations

crjunk
Oct-30-2003, 11:18am
I am interested in learning to play the mandolin. #Can anyone give me some recomendations on inexpensive mandolins (under $175)? #Whatever I get, I will probably end up buying at Musician's Friend web site.

I've played guitar for about 9 years now, and would like to learn another instrument. #

Thanks!

Lee
Oct-30-2003, 11:46am
For $175 I'd most definately buy something used. A new $175 mandolin will be extremely frustrating; an added unnecessary aggravation when you're just learning to play.
For $199 the Epiphone MM30 is a good solid starter instrument.

duuuude
Oct-30-2003, 11:55am
Welcome to the dark world of low-end mandos! http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I've experienced two from Musicians Friend:

Free Johnson mando with dreadnaught guitar - Very cheap in price as well as quality, not really recommended for a serious player.

Rogue electric FM80-e (electric version of FM80) - Not a bad player, straight neck, nice action, don't know if the FM80 has same characteristics but if so then this would not be a bad starter, though will make you want an upgrade in a few months.

Haven't played their Kentucky's or Epiphones, but if you must buy a lower-end mando you may want to either buy where you can trade it in later on an upgrade or leave enough leftover to get a good setup done to get the best out of whatever you do decide on.

Just my $.02 worth, enjoy!

Mikey2
Oct-30-2003, 5:35pm
Besides Lee's suggestion, you might look at this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7....72 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031030141034065164086130062629/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/72272)

withak
Oct-30-2003, 6:16pm
If you are going to get a cheapo beginner model, you are better off avoiding Musician's Friend and getting it from somewhere that will set it up for you before they ship it. The setup on those things can make all the difference in the world.

Mikey2
Oct-30-2003, 6:29pm
withak

Very good point but he seemed INTENT on Musician's Friend. I personally would get the best deal I could on ebay and then get it set up by a reputable person.

Lee
Oct-31-2003, 9:43am
Wow, you can always trust Mikey for finding a good deal on a mandolin; good find!!
I've never purchased from Musicians Friend; and I agree that set-up can make or break a "good deal". Bryans Music (never heard of them) mentions their set-up and their KM340S is $269 plus another $69 for the case. Something to consider.
http://www.bryansmusic.com/km340s.htm

Lee
Oct-31-2003, 9:44am
Oh, by the way, has anyone seen another mandolin with 29-frets like this KM340S? If you compare fret per dollar value this thing is outstanding!

straight-a
Oct-31-2003, 11:37am
I had an A model Fender I paid $99 for. It played very well and stayed in tune. It was a great instrument to learn on. I have a friend that has a Rouge A model that is the very same as mine and it is also nice for a cheap-o. Now granted, the tone and volume aren't superb but I would recommend these if you are just wanting to see what you're interest level is.

Darryl Wolfe
Oct-31-2003, 11:54am
A KM380S is an incredibly good mando for the money.

Darryl Wolfe
Oct-31-2003, 11:55am
back

jugband
Nov-01-2003, 4:19am
A KM380S is an incredibly good mando for the money.
I have a KM-380S (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?boolean=any+term&case_sensitive=insensitive&results_format=browse&query=keyword&search_and_display_db_button=on&keywords=km-380) in the classifieds right now, as a matter of fact, but not in his price range.

mandroid
Nov-04-2003, 4:15pm
Look into Weber sweetPea, or Backpacker from Martin, My BP is well made with a very player friendly neck, and the taking it anywhere all the time portability is a big plus,IMHO.

crjunk
Nov-04-2003, 4:37pm
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. #With your help, hopefully I will be able to find something that's right for me. #

BTW what all is usually involved with the setup of a new mandolin?

Richard H
Nov-04-2003, 10:44pm
I went yesterday to set up a new Johnson for a local music store. There are very few mandolins in Barbados and they didn't know how to tune it.

I was surprised to find the bridge was more or less in position, the action about right, and it only needed tuning.

Didn't impress with tone or volume but one could learn on it and upgrade if you get really serious.

They're selling it for US68. Seems like you can get a beginner mando fairly cheap.

jugband
Nov-05-2003, 3:20am
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. #With your help, hopefully I will be able to find something that's right for me. #

BTW what all is usually involved with the setup of a new mandolin?
Typically setup is:

Put medium-gauge strings (instead of light) of a good quality, and lubricate them where they go through nut and bridge slots, so they don't bind during tuning. At this point, tuning gears are also typically lubricated.

Make sure bridge-feet fit flush against the face, and contour them if they don't.

Set bridge position so that intonation is perfect on the outer strings.

Check neck to see if it needs to be adjusted, assuming that you have a Kentucky or better, with an adjustable truss rod. Johnsons, Rovers, Etc. aren't adjustable. If the strings buzz, you just keep raising the bridge (making it harder to play) until it stops.

Set bridge-height, if you have an adjustable bridge.

File inner bridge-saddles (if necessary) to set intonation on the inner strings.

Check string-height at the nut. Adjust if necessary, by making the string-slots deeper with slot-files, or building them up if they're already too deep.

Check the frets to see if they need shaping with a fret file.

That's pretty much it.

The luthier (or you) might decide that more needs doing, like replacing the nut or bridge with a better one, and not everything above necessarily needs to be done, either.

Sometimes installing better strings, setting intonation and applying some string-lube is all a new mando, even a cheap one, will really need.

deaner
Dec-30-2003, 10:23am
I know this is a bit over your price range but you should check out the
Michael Kelly's on Ebay. You can get an all solid F style mandolin with a hardshell case for about $525. That is lower than the buy noe prices but if you call the dealers who are selling on ebay you can talk them way down because then they will have no seller fees. Mine was the FS and it was $599 total. That included shipping and a nice case. It was a step up from the bottom of the MK line but the only difference in mine and the bottom is the inlays and the gold hardware, all else was equal. For me it came down to the MK's and KM380s but I just had to have the "F"

mad dawg
Dec-30-2003, 11:05am
I'm in agreement with several other posts here:

1. New or used, buy it from someone who knows mandolins, and who will set it up properly for you (proper setup makes a world of difference, and someone who knows mandolins and supports the mandolin community will likely do a better setup job, than someone who primarilly focuses on guitars or band instruments)

2. If buying new, buy it from someone who offers a trade-up policy (like the one offered by FolkOfTheWood.com: 100% of your purchase price towards your new trade-up purchase)

3. Choose a mandolin that will give you reasonably good performance and playability for the money (you will be more inclined to stick with it if you enjoy playing it, and will less likely to suffer from buyers remorse)

mandroid
Dec-30-2003, 6:05pm
My friend is fairly happy with his 'lone star' a flattop with a good sized sound box. they need some delivery setup as bridge is generously high, but that is not too difficult to cut down.

gretschbigsby
Jan-13-2004, 10:41am
I'd try and find an old Stradolin on Ebay for that price. I have one and I love it. Loud, great tone, very playable and vintage vibe.

Bob

mando-in-kingwood
Jan-14-2004, 8:52pm
Doing your own setup.............
When I first started playing mando, my wife bought a cheap Korean instrument for circa $175 as a Christmas present. Had an adjustable bridge but had poor action even with the bridge at its lowest setting.

To set it up, first I made sure the bridge was in the right place (fret and pluck at the 12th fret and compare tone to the harmonic at the 12th), then I removed the bridge height adjustment round "thingies" and put a few small washers in to get the bridge height right (lower), and also filed the grooves in the nut down so that the distance from string to first fret (when string is open) was the same as string to 2cd fret when fretting at the 1st fret.

Ended up with a very playable mando and avoided having a professional set it up for $75. Played it for years, until I acquired MAS (mando acquisition syndrome).

Good luck!

Ajvessey
Jan-15-2004, 6:04pm
I don't have any experience with this mando, but I've heard that it's a great starter mandolin since it's all solid woods and is rather cheap. Look into the Johnson Ma-120, which as I said, is all solid wood for a great price, about $150. I have a cheaper Johnson and it works fine for learning, but I can tell that it's not great by any means, and I might look to upgrade to something like the MA 120. You can even get it from Folk of the Wood, which offers a 100% trade up policy (if i'm not mistaken) so you can use that $150 towards a better mando when you're ready to trade up.

deaner
Jan-24-2004, 11:59am
175 won't get you much out of the box but if you could sqeeze out another 150 bucks you will pat yourself on the back. 325 dollars will get some incredible low end mandos that will not get shunned or looked over in a jam. That price range will get you one of the higher end kentucky A styles and for another a good used Michaekll Kelly when they show up on Ebay. Another thing. While I was listening to different mando on Folk of the woods web site and I was impressed by the $79 dolloer Johnson Natural Huh go figure. But honestly I would try to go a wee bit higher with your price and you will say it was worth it.

mcashion
Feb-04-2004, 8:01pm
I bought an Alvarez from the 60's for $200 this summer. I have seen them here on the cafe for a little less. It plays great and I just put thomastik strings on it. Easy player, solid wood, and looks wonderful. I got it so I didn't have to let the kids at my school play my Breedlove or my Gibson. I take it in the car, camping, etc. Worth the money.

stopint
Feb-04-2004, 9:35pm
i would also try to shoot up to around the $300-$400 mark and find a real good used one ... one that's in good condition and has been played and not just sitting in a closet...i have a 7 year old samick f-style i could part with for around $250 and a one year old michael kelly fs i would let go for $300...don't need to get rid of them but if you really wanted to dive into the mandolin these are solid entry level instruments...

slainte...

Lee
Feb-05-2004, 4:28pm
My local store just became a Michael Kelly dealer. I finally had a chance to play one, the Legacy model priced at $449. It was pretty, but up close there were too many visual flaws. If it had been set-up, the person should die a slow death. I worked on it quickly and got the bridge in the ballpark and brought it up to pitch. The fretwork was good. Because of the bad set-up I won't comment on the tone. Other than a scroll I did not see this particular instrument being worth twice the price of the Epiphone MM-30 which I think is a superb value. If the fellow that started this thread really is on a $200 budget I'd not suggest the added expense of this Michael Kelly to be worth it, as he'd be upgrading either one in just about the same time frame.

MadMandoingMax
Feb-05-2004, 8:09pm
EBAY EBAY EBAY,
EBAY EBAY EBAAY,
EBAY EBAY EBAY,
HEY CHECK'OUT EBAY
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

otsaku
Feb-07-2004, 10:44am
Hi I'm new to the mandolin too -

I bought a bestler on ebay I have no idea of how it compares to any other models but I'm satisfied with it.

It didn't come setup but using the tuning lesson from the cafe and an electronic tuner I seem to have got it in tune.

Their are a lot of mandolins on ebay though I would avoid internationalmusic.org - where I got mine - it took almost 2 months to get here and the promised case and cable weren't with it...