PDA

View Full Version : Cracker Barrel Find...

Keith Erickson
Dec-17-2004, 9:57am
A couple of years ago, I went to Cracker Barrel and found the Mandolin's and Friends CD. Lot's of great little tunes. In fact I'm working and listening to it right now.

Is anyone familiar with this CD?

What other good Mandolin CD's would y'all recommend?

Thanks-a-bunch, http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

AlanN
Dec-17-2004, 11:16am
Who are the pickers?

Big Joe
Dec-17-2004, 11:20am
The new album from Danny Roberts entitled "Mandolin Orchard" is one of the best you will ever hear. Danny plays the mandolin (obviously), Tony Wray does all the guitar work (wow!) and some of the banjo work. Charlie Cushman does the remainder of the banjo work. Andrea Roberts on bass and I can't remember who did the fiddle work, but you will be impressed. Great project by some really Great musicians!

I also recommend Tony Williamson's new Christmas album. Great mandolin and guitar work on it also.

Keith Erickson
Dec-17-2004, 3:14pm
Big Joe and Alan,

Thank you both for your input.

Looking forward to learning some songs from the Mandolins and Friends CD. Sometimes, I think I'm not good enough, but I'll give it a shot.

I'll also have to find out who the pickers are. Let me find that information out.

Again, Thank you y otra vez muchas gracias http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Keith Erickson
Dec-19-2004, 11:50am
AlanN,

I wanted to respond to you question.

The pickers and musicians are as follows:

Mark Howard: Mandolin, Acoustic & Classical Guitars
Blaine Sprouce: Fiddle
Richard Bailey: Banjo
Roy Huskey, Jr: Acoustic Bass
Kenny Malone: Drums, Percussion
Alisa Jones: Hammered Dulcimer
Ron Wall: Autoharp

I've had this for a few years and I listen to this constantly now that I am playing the mandolin full time.

flairbzzt
Dec-19-2004, 1:05pm
I picked it up in the Cracker Barrel near me a few years ago also. Good tunes; sent it to my brother in Colorado as a gift back then.

KevinM
Dec-21-2004, 8:39am
I remember a post from David McLaughlin a while back talking about working on albums that were sold there.

Harrmob
Dec-21-2004, 11:25am
I've got that CD, I bought it several years back and it finds it way back into my CD player every now and then. They are all originals if I remember correctly, beautiful stuff. I was recently in a Cracker Barrel and I did not see that particular CD "Mandolin and Friends", do they no longer sell it?

A suggestion for another good one, all instrumental, is Emory Lester's "Cruisin the 8". It's a little jazzy, but it's awesome. He plays most all the instruments on the CD.

David W McLaughlin
Dec-21-2004, 3:41pm
Yes. I produced and engineered a CD for Cracker Barrel called Springfield Exit, available through springfieldexit.com or at crackerbarrel.com. It's not all mandolin, but I played my Loar #73481 on it in quite a few places. Since I recorded it in my own studio, the tone is as it should be...no EQ. I also played the old F-5 on the Stony Point Quartet CDs (two, one being the Christmas CD) for Cracker Barrel. I probably played it on Linda Lay's solo Cracker Barrel CD.