PDA

View Full Version : Dervish

Mutiny
Dec-17-2004, 1:14am
I've been listening to dervish (midsummers night) a lot recently and have noticed that i need a capo on the 4th fret to easily play any of there stuff (and fingers like lighting)Anyone know if they use an alternate tuning (since you cant capo a fiddle).
Also what albums do you recemond by them if I want more (especially ones highliting the bouzouki/mandola work).
Thanks.
-Ben

Michael Wolf
Dec-17-2004, 5:04am
Ben,

they are playing most tunes one half tone up. I think this is because of the box-player. Michael Homes plays GDAD (1/2tone up if necessary) and I saw him using different capo-positions. Brian McDonnagh plays DAEA all the time on mandola (1/2tone up). To hear them very clear, I'd recommend the older records, when they had no guitarplayer (only brian played guitar from time to time). Though every re4cord is fine, because the mix is good. I only found the 12-string guitar little to massively on stage. I find "Live in Palma" nice and the early recording "Boys of the Lough", pure instrumental.

All the Best
Michael

keithd
Dec-21-2004, 5:36pm
Ben,

Not only do they record a half tone up, but they also often play traditional tunes in alternate keys. Pull the knife and stick it again, for example, is played in Am instead of Em in the 3rd track set of Spirit. I like playing it both ways (it sounds great in that set of tunes), but at a session, it would have to be in Em.

Keith

Onesound
Dec-24-2004, 1:07pm
I had the good fortune to hear them live a few years ago. What a wonderfully talented group. Cathy Jordan sang an accapella song that was absolutly beautiful and perfectly pitched. I've got their "Harmony Hill" album which I greatly enjoy.

Cheers,
Brian