PDA

View Full Version : "Smoked Hickory" BRW #45

Kevin@bluegrassbrethren
Dec-16-2004, 9:07pm
Ben's first matte finish. He has dubbed it "Smoked Hickory"
Red Spruce and Maple. Bad pics to follow. I am not a photographer. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

Front

Kevin@bluegrassbrethren
Dec-16-2004, 9:08pm
Back

Kevin@bluegrassbrethren
Dec-16-2004, 9:09pm
And for you scroll fanatics!!!

mandoJeremy
Dec-16-2004, 9:14pm
Now that looks nice! I love the color but I do think he should have matched the size of the burst on the back to the one on the front.

Brian Ray
Dec-16-2004, 9:17pm
Ahhh the brethren... Looks great Kevin! So this is the "other" mando Ben was working on at the same time as mine. The matte finish is very interesting...

Kevin@bluegrassbrethren
Dec-16-2004, 9:17pm
That was my call. Orginally, I wanted to lose the "snot" yellow color the traditional burst shows under flourescent lighting. I also wanted the darker overall look. The matte finish was to cut the "glare" on stage.

BTW, I love this thing so far. Plays great up the neck but has some breakin' in to do in the bottom end. Nice chop tho and rings like a bell. I will probably raise the action a little cause it is right on the deck.

Kevin@bluegrassbrethren
Dec-16-2004, 9:18pm
dass,

Yours is the bare neked truth tho'

levin4now
Dec-16-2004, 9:38pm
Ok, check this out. Look at the scroll in the third picture (the scroll closeup).

Is that Marty Stuart's reflection there or what?

Don't mean to hijack. Awesome mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandoJeremy
Dec-16-2004, 10:41pm
No, it looks just a little more eerie than Marty can do. It is a nice face though.

Scotti Adams
Dec-16-2004, 10:42pm
Now that looks nice! #I love the color but I do think he should have matched the size of the burst on the back to the one on the front.
..and cover up that nice wood....NOT....looks real nice Kevin..welcome to the fold..

mandoJeremy
Dec-16-2004, 10:42pm
Next thing you know that mando will disappear into the television set!

Lane Pryce
Dec-17-2004, 8:02am
Ain't nuthin in tha worle wrong wit dat one. How she sound? Lp

eightstrings
Dec-17-2004, 3:32pm
Tired of BRW? Heck no!

Brett

Jonathan James
Dec-17-2004, 4:18pm
Love the looks of Ben's work but the thing that really impresses me is his productivity. #45? Guys who have been building for a couple years longer are still in their teens or low 20's in regard to output. He has got it down!

Tom C
Dec-17-2004, 5:00pm
Great looking mando.
I got #27 in Nov '03, so that's about 20 a year. Seems like a great, self rewarding, paying job.

ethanopia
Dec-17-2004, 10:05pm
Output! Can you say CHURN!

I took delivery of #30 on December 31st of 2003. Less than a year and 15 mandos, of extremly high quality. Incredible.

Gilchrist said on CGOW that he tries to do 12 a year....

Crowder
Dec-18-2004, 6:59pm
I think it helps that Ben is focusing only on mandolins and not doing any guitars or repairs. Still, impressive.

I am seriously thinking of ordering something different from him, and A, 2-point or J-16.

Nalapombu
Dec-18-2004, 7:09pm
Thats a pretty mandolin. BRW seems to get a lot of talk and I would like to see more. Is there a web site for BRW? What do the BRW F style mandolins cost anyway?

Nala

Crowder
Dec-18-2004, 7:37pm
All info available at www.brw-instruments.com

No financial interest, just a satsified owner here. I think they are about $3800 well equipped, with options available that could push the price higher. Mine is comparable to anything I've played running less than $7500 street price.

mandomick
Dec-18-2004, 8:59pm
I'm really gald to see dasspunk's orange and this one finished, both fine examples of Ben's work. Why? Cause my F is next!!! Hopefully Ben will take a well deserved break through the holidays and get a fresh start in '05.

Also, I think I'll suggest that Ben might designate #50 as the "Scotti Adams Commemorative Model". Seein' as how it was his very enthusiastic posts extolling the virtues of these bad boys that pushed me and probably quite a few others to write that deposit check. I got my J16 #32(the wine red one on the BRW site) last February and while I thought it sounded great then, it keeps growing, like all the parts are meshing, sounding better and better.

Kevin, didn't mean to hijack your thread. It's an awesome mando and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Kevin@bluegrassbrethren
Dec-19-2004, 12:02am
No problem. I have not put it down since it arrived. As far as a well deserved break.....Ben shipped mine on 12/8 on the way to vaction thru the 23rd. I must say it was worth the extra wait and time....why? Cause he had more time to refine an already excellent product. I do want to note here that Ben had no fear when I requested the special coloring and matte finish.

And Spruce if'n your out there, thanks for the excellent advice on the wood http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Ben picked some awesome stuff.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Scotti Adams
Dec-19-2004, 3:04pm
..Thanks Mick....