PDA

View Full Version : Played for other people for the first time

wommbatt
Mar-24-2012, 1:57am
as the title says, this past weekend i played.... well, randomly plucked, for a group of people for the very first time. I've only been playing for about 6 months and I'm not amazingly awesome or anything. Heck, I don't even have 1 song memorized yet lol. But I was with my girlfriend's family outside on a wonderful sunny afternoon with a pleasant fire burning. Figured I'd pull out the mando and try to get over my fear of playing in front of people.

And boy did I. Even though I don't know any single song by heart I do know scales and the first line or two to several songs. Playing that as well as just plucking from a short range of notes made my day. I felt great. The gf's lil bro even brought out his guitar and we pretended to know how to jam together haha. Musta spent 5 or 6 hours doin that. and everyone loved it

just wanted to share my first experience playing for other people with you all. have a great day 8]

Randi Gormley
Mar-24-2012, 8:02am
Congrats! You'll find that kind of interaction with family/friends addicting!

Ed Goist
Mar-24-2012, 8:12am
Congratulations!
Thanks for sharing.

FloridaCracker
Mar-24-2012, 10:41am
I played mine on the beach the other day. No one went running or turned on their stereos. :)

Paul Busman
Mar-24-2012, 2:54pm
Great story! As much fun as it is to play an instrument, the fun goes up exponentially when you start to play with others. Thanks for reminding us, and hopefully encouraging other timid newbies to give it a try.

JeffD
Mar-24-2012, 3:05pm
Now, if you can figure out a way to have that or similar experience once a week or so, imagine the progress you would make. Imagine the fun you would have.

You don't have to imagine, you only have to grab it!

Jim
Mar-24-2012, 5:18pm
Sounds like great fun!

Barry Wilson
Mar-24-2012, 5:32pm
Performing in any scale for others is what music is about. to bring some of the joy you feel to others is the most gratifying feeling in the world. right on, hope you find many more times like this in the future...

SGraham
Mar-24-2012, 6:32pm
Thanks for sharing, Wombatt. Great description. I would have loved to sit in on that jam!

BillC-PA
Mar-24-2012, 7:33pm
Good story, thanks for sharing. I've been playing for two weeks - played C, G, D, F, scales and 'Jingle Bells' for the dogs - maybe next week I'll try something out on the grandkids :)