PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Like Your Playing to be Described?

Ed Goist
Mar-22-2012, 3:33pm
In just a few words, how would you like your playing to be described by others?
For me, it would be Raw, Bluesy, Feral, and Elemental.
If my playing could someday be thought of as having those characteristics, I'd be very happy.
What about you?

Pete Summers
Mar-22-2012, 3:44pm
"decent" would be good enough for me at this stage.

Lee
Mar-22-2012, 3:47pm
"... with such notable improvement in technical ability and musical expression..."

Marty Henrickson
Mar-22-2012, 4:04pm
Dynamic, bluesy, expressive, exciting, fiery.

George R. Lane
Mar-22-2012, 4:12pm
Oh my Gawd!

mandopete
Mar-22-2012, 4:24pm
"Hey look, the dog stopped howling!"

or....

Totally adequate.

OldSausage
Mar-22-2012, 4:44pm
As long as they don't throw anything I count it as a win.

Randolph
Mar-22-2012, 4:57pm
"Hey, you've been practicing!":))

greg_tsam
Mar-22-2012, 5:04pm
The more you drink the better I sound.

John Rosett
Mar-22-2012, 5:10pm
Instantly recognizable.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-22-2012, 5:17pm
Not awful :cool:

rgray
Mar-22-2012, 5:18pm
"You play that ukelayle thing real good."

bmac
Mar-22-2012, 5:35pm
"Raw" would do nicely.
"Bluesy" has a bad connotation, like "cutesy".
"Ferel" sounds like something crawling in a hole.
"Elemental" sounds like a left handed compliment.

jstout
Mar-22-2012, 5:38pm
Damned good, and I have a long way to get close.

Ed Goist
Mar-22-2012, 5:56pm
...snip...
"Ferel" sounds like something crawling in a hole.

Perfect!
Yes, something dangerous with claws and fangs. Something predatory.
It would be so awesome if my playing could conjure such imagery.
I'd much rather be able to 'evoke emotion' than 'impress with skill'.

...snip...
"Elemental" sounds like a left handed compliment.

These are the only types of compliments I ever expect to get. :)

Thanks for all the great replies so far.

Instantly recognizable.
John, this is a great feature to shoot for in one's playing! Well said.

Mike Bunting
Mar-22-2012, 5:59pm
As long as they don't throw anything I count it as a win.

I like it when the ladies throw their frillies on stage.

Paul Busman
Mar-22-2012, 6:59pm
I like to play lots of types of music, so I'd be happy with "versatile"

Joel Glassman
Mar-22-2012, 7:11pm
"A nuanced figuration of articulated tones resembling a string of pearls..." :^)

Shelagh Moore
Mar-22-2012, 7:18pm
Braw!

John Rosett
Mar-22-2012, 7:25pm
I was once described in a program as "local favorite". My bandmates teased me about it for weeks.

fatt-dad
Mar-22-2012, 7:26pm
. . . he seems so happy!

f-d

Elliot Luber
Mar-22-2012, 7:37pm
Dog-like? :)

Dennis Ladd
Mar-22-2012, 7:43pm
Showing chocolate overtones with an aftertaste of coriander and sage.

mandocrucian
Mar-22-2012, 8:22pm
"sounds like several of my favorite electric guitarists."

johes
Mar-22-2012, 9:20pm
Since I've only owned a mandolin for 3 weeks and taken just 2 lessons, I'd say a work in progress, but working hard at it.

allenhopkins
Mar-22-2012, 9:23pm
"Tasteful" and "appropriate."

pjlama
Mar-22-2012, 9:28pm
Wow...

JeffD
Mar-22-2012, 9:29pm
Sure I like compliments. I want you all to love me.

But when it comes to the music, my preference is that the music is complimented.

When someone tells me "what a pretty tune" or asks the name of a tune, thats the best. It means that played it so well they only heard the music, and responded to what was in the music itself. It means I got my temporary self out of the way and let what ever was eternal in that tune do its own work though me.

It means I got it right.

The hand of the craftsman is invisible.

Patrick Sylvest
Mar-22-2012, 9:34pm
"WOW, have you shown that to Chris Thile?":disbelief:

AnneFlies
Mar-22-2012, 9:51pm
I'm happy if my main critic, my dog, stays in the same room with me.

JeffD
Mar-22-2012, 10:01pm
I once played an open mike at the Buckhorn Saloon in Pinos Altos, New Mexico, just up from Silver City.

I did about five fiddle tunes, some real rip snorters, and I finished with a sweet slow version of Tennessee Waltz. A tall cowboy came over and put five bucks in the glass, and said he really loved that waltz.

He didn't say "you played that waltz well" or "nice job on that last one", he said he really loved that waltz.

I was walking three feet off the ground all week.

jim simpson
Mar-22-2012, 10:15pm
I'd settle for competent.

Regarding complements, it seems that most musicians I know, including myself, seems to be our worst critics. Why are we so hard on ourselves when it comes to analizing one's skill level.

foldedpath
Mar-22-2012, 10:21pm
"Effortless"... All my favorite musicians (and not just on mandolin) have that ability to seem like they're playing just like they're breathing, with no effort. The classic response in the audience is that he/she "makes it look easy."

I'm a long way from that, at least in public performance, but it's what I'm shooting for. Once you can get to that point, many doors open up into those other realms like "expression, dynamics, emotion," etc. You have to get to the effortless playing part first.

Barry Wilson
Mar-22-2012, 11:56pm
Sure plays with feeling.

llg
Mar-22-2012, 11:58pm
I'd settle for memorable from a non-musician. However, from another musician...something along the lines of a touch of Steffey, with a little Compton, sprinkled with a little Bush and maybe some McCoury thrown in for good measure. Never gonna happen.

Really the best advice I ever received was just sound like yourself. Seriously, isn't that what makes a musician great... the great ones may have a little of a prior musician's sound but ultimately all the great ones sound like themselves...instantly recognizable.

journeybear
Mar-23-2012, 1:25am
Favorably, insightfully, accurately, and often - as long as it's favorably, insightfully, and accurately. ;)

Oh, and if this is appearing in Rolling Stone or The New York Times, so much the better. :grin:

TEE
Mar-23-2012, 1:30am
He plays suprisingly well to be a billionaire.....

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-23-2012, 2:36am
My playing has been described in numerous ways,none of which would be allowable for me to state on the 'Cafe !.
I'd LIKE my playing to be described as "as close to the sound & technique of John Reischman as is humanly possible without actually being John Reischman". I'd also like to win 50 squillion £'s/$'s on the lottery - it's great here in cuckoo land !,
Ivan:grin:~:>

greg_tsam
Mar-23-2012, 2:58am
I like it when the ladies throw their frillies on stage.

This will never happen while playing the mandolin.

G7MOF
Mar-23-2012, 4:44am
Noise, What noise!!!

Paul Busman
Mar-23-2012, 5:21am
"at least it's not a banjo"

rf37
Mar-23-2012, 7:00am
That sure is a cool instrument...what is it, a ukelele?

Laird
Mar-23-2012, 7:17am
But when it comes to the music, my preference is that the music is complimented... The hand of the craftsman is invisible.

Well, shoot. I was going to post something silly, but instead I just have to say, "Well said, Jeff." That's a truth of the highest level.

Paul Edwards
Mar-23-2012, 7:22am
clean

yankees1
Mar-23-2012, 7:50am
Decent but improving each week! Friends who are musical inclined tell me that my playing sounds pretty good ! Friends who can't play a lick tell me that I need a lot more practice or I should stick to the radio!

John Ritchhart
Mar-23-2012, 8:28am
"Tasteful" or maybe "impertinent but approachable"

Barry Platnick
Mar-23-2012, 8:48am
Ok...you can play in the house now.

Steve Ostrander
Mar-23-2012, 9:00am
"He explored the alphabet of musical emotion from A to B"

JeffD
Mar-23-2012, 9:17am
"He explored the alphabet of musical emotion from A to B"

:))

There was a mock review of a Monty Python movie "They laughed until they stopped."

Dan Hulse
Mar-23-2012, 9:19am
I'll second versatile and add tasteful and entertaining.
Yeah, that should give me enough to work on for the rest of my life.

Canoedad
Mar-23-2012, 9:20am
"Just be glad he's not plugged in"

JeffD
Mar-23-2012, 9:33am
This is a really good thread. It speaks to our musical goals. And reaching, or at least getting closer to our goals, determines in large part how satisfied we are going to be, how much we are enjoying or going to continue enjoy playing.

Professional musicians, or those with professional ambitions, (even casually professional ambitions) will be, and should be, concerned about how they come across, how their music is received. And especially if a unique voice or stamp is evident and can be determined by audiences and reviewers.

I am in the other camp. I have no professional ambition, (I have a normal healthy ego, but I just don't want to gig, even for money. I will and do when I have to, but I turn down many opportunities.) I just love to play. This, in large part, really determines my goals, and therefore how I would like my playing to be described.

JeffD
Mar-23-2012, 9:35am
So another answer to the OPs question, I would really love it if folks said "he is really fun to jam with." Not "he is really great" or really fast or really innovative, but really fun. That includes a competant speed and accurate picking, but releives me of having to be the top gun, it means that in addition to my scales and arpeggios, I need to work on listening, playing to someone elses rhythm even if its wrong, being patient with newbies, and showboats, even if my scalp is crawling, and always having a tune to play, so as to keep things moving along.

So, yea, in addition to serving the internal integrity of the music I love, I would like have it said that I am fun to jam with.

Toycona
Mar-23-2012, 9:48am
Intuitive

farmerjones
Mar-23-2012, 9:50am
i'd settle for "solid."

mandopete
Mar-23-2012, 10:46am

To which I always reply "Sure atsa me 'kele, what you think I steal it?"

Thanks to Chico Marx.

JeffD
Mar-23-2012, 10:52am
To which I always reply "Sure atsa me 'kele, what you think I steal it?"

Thanks to Chico Marx.

:))

Is that a U Boat?
It's not-a-my boat?

John Rosett
Mar-23-2012, 11:16am
"Ugly!" -Bob Wills

journeybear
Mar-23-2012, 11:24am
To which I always reply "Sure atsa me 'kelele, what you think I steal it?"

Thanks to Chico Marx.

No, I don't-a think you steal it. But I'm a-gonna steal you line! :)) 'At's a good one!

Terry Allan Hall
Mar-23-2012, 11:35am
"Hardly sucks at all" :))

So, yea, in addition to serving the internal integrity of the music I love, I would like have it said that I am fun to jam with.

A great answer! :cool:

Justus True Waldron
Mar-23-2012, 1:29pm
Hmmm...

how about Distinctive, Clear, Melodic, Captivating... that's usually what I strive for. Being fun to jam with is another one high on the list... had some really good pickers tell me that not too long ago, not sure what I did to cause that, but I hope I don't loose it!

Willie Poole
Mar-23-2012, 1:44pm
I like to hear compliments that say the audience can tell what tune I am playing and not just a bunch of notes that have nothing to do with the tune being played....A fellow once told me if you play like someone else people will soon forget who you really are, so I quit playing like Buzz Busby.....AND...people still don`t know who I am.....

Willie

j-hill
Mar-23-2012, 1:54pm
Melodic and Tasteful

Currently, I'm neither.

I'm more likely to hear, 'If you think that's bad, you should hear him on guitar!'

Jason

WaveRay
Mar-23-2012, 2:20pm
Favorably with honesty.

Or anything better than "He's got some cahones".

Randi Gormley
Mar-23-2012, 2:34pm
Worth listening to.

mandolirius
Mar-23-2012, 7:41pm

I was going to say...as mandolin playing. I once got written up in the local paper as the band's "ace ukulele player".

Jack Roberts
Mar-23-2012, 7:55pm
I aspire to this:

When playing in the band: "fits in."

When playing alone: "not bad."

re simmers
Mar-23-2012, 8:06pm
.....with a straight face!

Bob

re simmers
Mar-23-2012, 8:08pm
"Sam plays just like he did with NGR but his hair turned gray!"

Bob

OldSausage
Mar-23-2012, 9:16pm
"Sounds like he's sober, for once"

journeybear
Mar-24-2012, 8:54am
Oh now, come on, guys and gals! Self-deprecating humor is all good and well, but let others take pot shots at you; don't give them ammunition or do it yourselves. The question is "How Would You Like Your Playing to be Described?" not "How Do You Expect Your Playing to be Described?"! :)) This is your chance to imagine things as they should be, or as you wish they were, not how they really are. ;) Dream big!

Phil Goodson
Mar-24-2012, 11:27am
"wow"

Jim
Mar-24-2012, 2:26pm
I was told I was "Amazing" a couple weeks ago. I don't think the kid that said it gets out much. It was still one of the nicest things anyone had ever said to me. I had played solo that night though I did sit in with one of the other performers and that went over really well. It was just luck he was playing some songs I was fairly familiar with. Anyway I got a heart felt compliment and it really doesn't get any better than that as a musician.

Darren Bailey
Mar-24-2012, 2:35pm
Well done son, you're finally worth something, I do love you after all.

Gelsenbury
Mar-26-2012, 6:10pm
Evocative or uplifting. :)