PDA

View Full Version : Tuners for my 28 year old Kentucky Dawg Mandolin.

BobMcC
Mar-21-2012, 1:58pm
I need to replace the tuners on my 28 year old Kentucky Dawg Mandolin, any suggestions?
Bob McCarthy

ourgang
Mar-21-2012, 4:45pm
I think that the Grovers and Schallers are about the same in quality except in that the Grovers are 18:1 while the Schallers are 16:1. I've never had any Waverley mando tuners but I found that the last couple of sets of Wav guitar tuners I've had are not worth the up-charge, seems the quality has gone down. Just my opinion.

BobMcC
Mar-21-2012, 5:10pm
Thank you! I'll check out the Grovers and the Schallers!

ourgang
Mar-21-2012, 5:17pm
By the way, that is a great looking mandolin, it sets my heart a-pounding, and out of Sumi's shop rather than the factory. One thing you might make note of is the string post spacing. I would guess that it is the same spacing as the standard Grovers and Schallers but don't know for sure.

George R. Lane
Mar-21-2012, 5:40pm
What is wrong with the ones that are on it???

bmac
Mar-21-2012, 6:01pm
Is the tuner change cosmetic or did they stop working for mechanical reasons? They should be servicable unless they are broken. Many folks stop using them when in fact all they need is cleaning, lubricating and adjustment, all very doable by the owner. You'll find many threads here on maintenance and restoration. They should last a lifetime or more.

BobMcC
Mar-21-2012, 6:20pm
They are old and hard to turn.

George R. Lane
Mar-21-2012, 6:28pm
Look at this link. It should help.

http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html

mandobassman
Mar-21-2012, 7:47pm
Look at this link. It should help.

http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html

This is an excellent resource. I recently had a old Harmony mandolin from the 60's in which the tuners were tight. Two of them I could only turn with my string winder. After consulting with Paul and reading his cleaning method, I took them apart, used his methods to clean and lubricate them and they worked like new after that.

bmac
Mar-22-2012, 7:25am
Removing, cleaning, and replacing the tuners will let you get to know your instrument a little better and and will do no harm. Follow these three rules:

1. Don't work over a shag rug.

2. put those iittle screws in a container immediatly as you remove them...

3. Don't ask me how I know about rules 1. and 2.

bmac
Mar-24-2012, 9:13am
"They're are old and hard to turn."

By the way... If you have tuners which are turning harder than they used to it is normally not because they are worn.... Worn tuners usually work easier than new tuners. Clean, well lubricated tuners (kold or new) work well.

People who haven't had a bath in thirty years might find turning a little difficult too.

BobMcC
Mar-25-2012, 7:23am
"People who haven't had a bath in thirty years might find turning a little difficult too".

Mandolin anthropomorphism! Love it! I'll take them in for an oil change and a lube. Thanks, although I might like pegs that aren't reversed. We shall see! Thanks for your input Bart.