PDA

View Full Version : THe Mandolin Pickers guide

Mando Timmy
Mar-21-2012, 6:52am
Purchased The Mandolin Pickers Guide. When I load the dvd I can't access the audio. No prompts to navigate to the info. Is there something I need to do? Help!

pickloser
Mar-21-2012, 11:47am
I you're talking about the Mandolin Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation by Rubner-Peterson, the copy I bought came with an audio CD only--no DVD. I had no problems with playback for the CD. Maybe you got a bum copy.

IMO, that's a very good book; it teaches important concepts and provides excellent drills to learn them in the head and in the fingers.
Good luck

Mando Timmy
Mar-22-2012, 7:07pm
I'm skimming through the book and seems like a great way to reinforce theory with ear and tab notation. The guy at the computer repair shop said the disc was defective he couldn't load it either. Just left an Email with the place I bought it from. Hope he does the right thing.

Gan Ainm
May-24-2012, 8:46am
I just opened a copy that I had purchased from Amazon a few months ago and the CD is defective. I emailed MB but have not heard back yet. Just FYI.

Markus
May-24-2012, 9:27am
How are you trying to play it?

Toycona
May-24-2012, 9:41am
...you're talking about the Mandolin Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation by Rubner-Peterson

I'm making my way through that book too. I'm at #57, and have found it really helpful in a few ways. The licks are pretty easy to learn, and the progression is incremental, so don't skip around. the CD is easy to play along with as well. In all, it's another of many good teaching/learning tools, though specifically focused on licks, breaks, etc. as opposed to songs and familiar melodies.

birdman98
May-24-2012, 10:24am
I had the same problem....then I realized that the files on the "cd" are actually Mp3 files.

They will not work on a cd player....you have to play them through a computer.

I imported mine into Itunes and then made a cd out of it.

Great book, btw.