PDA

View Full Version : speaking of Dave Cohen. . . (and my new A5!)

fatt-dad
Mar-19-2012, 4:09pm
I've known Dave for many years. I've owned a lot of mandolins. He's worked on many of them and I've played quite an assortment of his instruments over the years.

Dave's described more to me about mandolins, their acoustics and materials than I'll ever remember. I fully understand his passion being an engineer (i.e., geek) myself.

Here's Daves take on an A5 in redwood and walnut. I asked for a fleur de lei on the peghead. I also asked for the worm under tuners and we used the "Golden Age Restoration tuners" and just drilled the post spacing like the old days. These are the cream knobs. The peghead's overlay is ebony and the binding is maple. He used a varnish finish, but no stain (the varnish may impart some color though).

I'll never be any good at describing the tone. It's different in a good way, projects like a ventriloquist and the ringing notes echo on for hours. The sound is developing and I'm learning its voice.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

f-d

Markus
Mar-19-2012, 4:26pm
Don't take that one to the beach!

If it sounds half as good as it looks, you've got a keeper. Wow.

I love his design, and I like your wood choices a lot. Perfectly executed ... it looks like your mandolin and no others. I love that.

Congratulations. Enjoy. Happy spring!

George R. Lane
Mar-19-2012, 4:27pm
A great looking instrument, I love the soundholes and the design of his bridges is very interesting. Hopefully he will chime in and explain the bridge design.

Jim Garber
Mar-19-2012, 4:34pm
That is a beaut, papa gordo! I love the walnut back too.

Lee
Mar-19-2012, 4:45pm
That really is a beauty. More important are the thoughts that created its design and the ingenuity during its creation.

Charles E.
Mar-19-2012, 5:02pm
Wow, what a nice mandolin. I really like the bridge design, Kasha inspired perhaps? Enjoy!

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Mar-19-2012, 5:12pm
Very nice !

rgray
Mar-19-2012, 5:20pm
A stunning beauty. Congratulations.

Grommet
Mar-19-2012, 6:09pm
FD-We'll all be looking for a clip of it in action over on the SAW group!

Scott

Spruce
Mar-19-2012, 6:41pm
...projects like a ventriloquist...

:)

Beautiful!!

Chris Rogers
Mar-19-2012, 6:48pm
Looks real nice. I just brought home the parts for a walnut/redwood mandolin, my second build. You've double my enthusiasm to get started.

mandomiss
Mar-19-2012, 7:12pm
Awesome fatt-dad! That is one sweet lookin' Cohen! The walnut on that puppy is gorgeous. I imagine you are just as pleased with your new instruments as I am with mine. In which case you are already planning the next instrument you want Dave to build you (I've got my heart set on a two-point mandola).

Congratulations!

Ed Goist
Mar-19-2012, 7:38pm
Rustic yet modern. Classic yet unique.
Magnificent.
Congratulations!

John Kasley
Mar-19-2012, 7:51pm
Lovely. the natural looking fleur de lis is a nice touch. I think I might have seen this one, or one very similar, in the raw during a visit w/Dave at his shop.

Steve-o
Mar-19-2012, 7:54pm
Very nice, F-D. I love that combination of tonewoods, and I've played one of Dave's C# mandolins with that wood combination. It blew me away and still haunts me. Don't let that one get away. Enjoy!

fatt-dad
Mar-19-2012, 8:10pm
Dear All,

Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the bridge, Dave makes them for low mass. I'm sure that the footprint shape is somehow related to either an aesthetic or the vibration. He's been doing this for some while.

Regarding another Cohen, I'm somewhat interested in hearing the "Sonic Sitka" parlor guitar he's building - not that I need another guitar that is. . .

f-d

Oh, I wanted to mention a few other specs. It's 1-3/16ths at the nut and a 12-in radius.

sgarrity
Mar-19-2012, 8:47pm
Dr. Cohen makes a damn fine mandolin. I still kick myself for letting a certain koa F5 get away. That was a nice axe!

Rob Fowler
Mar-19-2012, 8:53pm
Congrats, Fatt-Dad! Can't wait to see a video of you pickin' an old fiddle tune on it!

JEStanek
Mar-19-2012, 9:50pm
Sweet. Glad to see you got your Cohen!

Jamie

Dale Ludewig
Mar-19-2012, 10:10pm
Very Nice! David can make a fine mandolin. And he's a good fellow on top of it. He even knows what he's talking about.

tburcham
Mar-19-2012, 10:51pm
Fatt-dad,

As you know, I love Dr. Cohen's mandolins....and hope to own one myself...someday. That is a beautiful mandolin...love the walnut back/sides. Like the rest of the Cafe, crew, I'd love to hear a clip or two. Congrats!

Rosemary Philips
Mar-20-2012, 7:10am
Stunning! Enjoy!

Jill McAuley
Mar-20-2012, 2:06pm
Gorgeous! Love the walnut back and that peghead inlay is pure class!

Cheers,
Jill

Bob DeVellis
Mar-20-2012, 2:53pm
Absolutely beautiful mandolin!

fatt-dad
Mar-20-2012, 6:14pm
Here's the problems with video clips. The laptop microphone and the quality of the talent. That said, here goes. . . me playing, "Sally in the Garden" on my new Cohen.

Hope you enjoy.

f-d

CaOECIBI0dI

Randi Gormley
Mar-20-2012, 7:23pm
Beautiful instrument. A really intriguing tone on that.

fatt-dad
Mar-21-2012, 2:47pm
much of that "tone" is my heavy hand and poor technique. I am learning though and really do enjoy the journey.

f-d

Bob DeVellis
Mar-21-2012, 3:16pm
Worked for me, fatt-dad.

robert.najlis
Mar-21-2012, 3:33pm
Thanks for posting the video. Sounds great. Redwood and walnut, wow, what a combination.

Do you spend any time with a mirror looking inside at the wacky bracing? (No disrespect there, in fact nothing but amazement at the work Mr. Cohen has done on acoustics and bracing. I was just referring to how his bracing was described in another post here which I enjoyed).

fatt-dad
Mar-21-2012, 6:18pm
I saw the bracing before it was all glued up. Here it is:

f-d

robert.najlis
Mar-21-2012, 6:21pm
that's pretty wild

fatt-dad
Apr-17-2012, 7:41pm
update: I love my new mandolin! Here it is in action this past weekend. I had no idea this photo was being taken. I'm preparing to leave the church retreat and playing "Seneca Square Dance."

f-d