PDA

View Full Version : My Cohen C#!

mandomiss
Mar-18-2012, 9:42pm
Hello all!

I know Dave already posted some photos of this one but I couldn't help but make a post of my own. I gotta say, I absolutely love this mandolin! The tone, the playability, the quilt! Oh, the quilt! Dave really outdid himself on this one and I couldn't be happier. Anyhow, it's a beauty. Here are some pictures! The back and sides aren't as brown as they appear in the photos, but you get the gist.

(Sorry about the orientation of the photos)

Thanks to Dave for his amazing work!

Bernie Daniel
Mar-19-2012, 2:16am
Its great -- I really like the clean, "modern" look! The headstock is really re-refreshing I think.

Ron McMillan
Mar-19-2012, 2:28am
Very striking. I love the 'pinstriping' around the binding.

ron

Bernie Daniel
Mar-19-2012, 7:56am
Very striking. I love the 'pinstriping' around the binding.

ron

Yes I agree especially prominent around the back -- similar to a violin?

mandomiss
Mar-19-2012, 6:48pm
The "pinstriping" is actually a very beautiful all wood binding that Dave laminates himself. On this particular instrument the binding is five layers: (from inside out) ebony, maple, rosewood, maple, rosewood (I think). Just another one of those details that really make Dave's instruments special.

Jill McAuley
Mar-20-2012, 2:09pm
Congratulations on the new Cohen - that is one of the loveliest mandolins I set eyes on!

Cheers,
Jill

fatt-dad
Mar-20-2012, 2:42pm
I've been quite busy playing my new Cohen also!

Enjoy yours for sure!

f-d

Bob DeVellis
Mar-20-2012, 2:47pm
Dave makes outstanding mandolins with his own special twist. I'm sure you'll love it.

robert.najlis
Mar-20-2012, 2:55pm
we've got two (at least) new threads about brand new Cohen mandos, and not a single video.. something does not seem right about that....

pefjr
Mar-20-2012, 3:12pm
I suggest a name for your beauty. Mandococoa.

mandomiss
Mar-20-2012, 8:33pm
Thanks for the suggestion, pefjr, but we've already named him. "Dorian Gray," long for Dorry. He really is more gray in person (and not photographed over "winter brown" grass), though there is a really beautiful olive green cast to the back, sides and neck.

We'll see about that video...

F-2 Dave
Mar-20-2012, 9:09pm
Nice. Mr. Cohen makes a classy looking mandolin to be sure. I'd love to try one sometime. Congratulations.

Bernie Daniel
Mar-21-2012, 3:09pm
Thanks for the suggestion, pefjr, but we've already named him. "Dorian Gray," long for Dorry....
We'll see about that video...

Now there is a name I have not thought about for a long time -- if you take a pic of the mandolin perhaps it will naturally distress while your mandolin remains mint? A video would be a great idea!

mandomiss
Mar-21-2012, 9:17pm
-- if you take a pic of the mandolin perhaps it will naturally distress while your mandolin remains mint?

Thought about that one, but no. The second day I had it I took a pretty good chunk of finish off of the binding with my laptop while setting up for recording. I had a bit of a breakdown, but have since recovered. Everyone I've shown has told me it's no big deal, but it certainly doesn't feel that way. Still thinking about what sort of song to put in that video...