PDA

View Full Version : American Conservatory Two-Point

ourgang
Mar-14-2012, 5:46pm
I've had this one a couple of years. American Conservatory. Mahogany back, sides and neck, ebony finger-board and bridge, spruce top...all solid wood. Low action and plays great. No sign of repair and nothing is coming apart. Got that low end, tubby sound and well balanced. A real enjoyable old mando

F-2 Dave
Mar-14-2012, 6:03pm
Sweet. I like it.

ourgang
Mar-14-2012, 6:18pm
Thanks Dave. Don't know for a fact but, I was told it is 19-teens.

Jake Wildwood
Mar-14-2012, 7:01pm
These were made by Regal for L&H in the late teens through late 20s. Great instruments and very well made.

brunello97
Mar-14-2012, 7:24pm
I had one of these for awhile. It had a little top warpage on it so I tended to keep pretty light strings on it. That was a shame, as it sounded good and I would have enjoyed playing it with something a bit beefier. The two points tend to inflate the price a bit, but these are pretty high value /$$ instruments, in my opinion. The OP's with ebony fretboard is a v nice looking. L+H's American Conservatory instruments are real sleepers.

Mick

Bill Snyder
Mar-14-2012, 9:28pm
I really like that two point shape. It is definitely amongst my favorites along with the Vega cylinder backs.

JEStanek
Mar-15-2012, 8:12am
Great looking instrument! Thanks for sharing.

Jamie

Jim Garber
Mar-15-2012, 9:40am
I wonder if in that picture in the first post the bridge is in the correct position. Usually, on bent-top mandolins all but Vega-made ones position the bridge on the soundhole side of the cant (bend).

ourgang
Mar-15-2012, 10:04am
The intonation, though not perfect, is as close as I can get in this position. If moved ahead of the cant the 12th fret note would probably be at least a full step sharp, if not more. Because the saddle is not compensated, you have to split hairs on bridge placement. Also, if you'll notice, if you were to move the bridge forward of the cant, the bridge would be sitting on top of the pickguard/finger rest/scratch plate and not on the mandolin top.

ourgang
Mar-16-2012, 12:33pm
With the exception of just a couple of appointments, this L&H Washburn is exactly the same as my American Conservatory. I think the bridge on the Wash. is a replacement?? but note the placement of the bridge.
http://www.marcsilbermusic.com/inventory/db-pages/desc.asp?instid=1890#Photos

Jake Wildwood
Mar-16-2012, 6:37pm
The L&H product line was always pretty weird. I own an "American Conservatory" tenor uke from the 20s that's fancier than the entry level Washburn tenor uke of the time... and I've found that often the AmCon line and the Wash line met and had some crossover in terms of specs and build quality on many different instruments.

JeffD
Mar-16-2012, 9:34pm
Very sexy looking instrument