PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters

BenE
Feb-20-2004, 12:21pm
I have been working on a tune lately (Sailor's Hornpipe) that really works out the pinkie...hitting the 7th fret then the open string then the 7th fret again...Now I could "cheat" and play the open string but somehow I keep telling myself to keep at it and I'll get faster/cleaner. Well, my speed has increased but still not to the point where I can rip through the tune at blistering speed. Anybody ever just give up and "cheat" by hitting that open string as opposed to the 7th fret position? I'll keep at it and work this little finger to the bone cause I know I should do it right and I'll be better off in the long run but hitting that 7th fret position on and off with the pinkie is tough at fast speeds!

calkan
Feb-20-2004, 12:31pm
I have always played the string open...adds to the drone effect that I like, and makes the rhythm easier for me to play. Open strings aren't always taboo, as some players have indicated. Play what is comfortable for you and pleasing to your ear...that's what counts. I tend to use my pinky more than I probably should, and it seems to work for me, but depending on playing and open string vrs. a fretted 7th,...its your call. Obviously if you need a tremolo, you need to fret up instead of using an open string.

duuuude
Feb-20-2004, 12:40pm
I always thought that open strings were a bluegrass tradition. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Dru Lee Parsec
Feb-20-2004, 12:46pm
On Chris Thile's DVD he teaches a tune called "Hop The Fence" that uses this insane crospicking riff. I just play it as a scale. I get exactly the same notes, I just don't play it as crosspicking.

So yeah, I cheat too.

mad dawg
Feb-20-2004, 1:20pm
I like taking advantage of open notes as I can sometimes crosspick faster than fret, depending upon the tune and the note changes. #But, I try to use my pinky as much as possible to build pinky strength, after three tendon surgeries on my left pinky over the past two years (following an freak kitchen accident).

Tom C
Feb-20-2004, 1:53pm
All things equal, one can always play quicker playing the notes on the same string.
However depending on your skill level and how fast you can pick it may not make a difference. I always practice using the pinky and playing that 7th fret but, when I play with others I may play the open string as my speed is about the same either way. They also do create a different tone. The open string sounds brighter, but the 7th fret would have the same quality of tone(woodier) as 5th fret.

pickinpox
Feb-20-2004, 2:24pm
...and I thought from the thread title we were going to have another knock down-drag out argument whether or not to use a capo...:p

BenE
Feb-20-2004, 2:29pm
...and I thought from the thread title we were going to have another knock down-drag out argument whether or not to use a capo...:p

I think we've been down that road before! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

John Zimm
Feb-20-2004, 3:28pm
I would see nothing wrong with playing the open string. If you are playing exercises, then use the 7th fret if indicated in order to build technique. If you are playing a song and you can play the open string better, go for it, because the goal is to make music, not make things harder for yourself. That's my take on the issue. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

-John.

Gary S
Feb-20-2004, 4:13pm
Often the 7th fret is played with the open string above.
Many times with a slide...Gary S

John Flynn
Feb-20-2004, 5:57pm
I am pretty good with my pinkie, but if I have an open string available, I am all over it. It's not "cheating." Somebody put skilled time and effort in making and fitting that nut at the end of your fretboard. It's just a shame if you don't take advantage of it! The extra volume and the extra time to get to the next note are nice, too. Often I will slide up and play the matching seventh fret and the open string at the same time for the effect.

evanreilly
Feb-20-2004, 10:37pm
Monroe recorded 'Sailor's Hornpipe' in Bb. He doesn't take a break on the tune, one of the few instrumentals he doesn't take one on. I have worked up the tune in that key & you need the pinkie to play it in that key.

Martin Jonas
Feb-25-2004, 8:50am
Obviously if you need a tremolo, you need to fret up instead of using an open string.
That's not so obvious to me: I play tremolo on open strings as well as on fretted notes and they both sound good to me. It takes a bit of adjustment in the right hand, though, to avoid digging in too deep.

Otherwise, I usually play the open string out of lazyness, but sometimes the slight (and inevitable) difference in tone jars a bit. It makes me wonder why the zero fret isn't more common than it is: on my vintage German flatback, the tone of the open string is effectively like a fretted note, because it has a zero fret. On my F-style, with no zero fret, the tone is different.

Martin

doanepoole
Feb-25-2004, 9:00am
I think you should be able to play the 7th fret version, but in the end, I think the open string is more practical, and quite frankly sounds better.

Coy Wylie
Feb-25-2004, 9:12am
Another good thing about playing with the pinkie on the 7th fret is that you can easily transpose the song into other keys by changing position on the fretboard. If you always play open strings you will have difficulty making this adjustment. So many BG tunes are in B and that requires a lot of pinkie work.

RobP
Feb-25-2004, 10:22am
For me it depends. I work on using the pinkie, but for some tunes it takes forever to get it smooth. If I want to work out a tune more quickly to perform, I'll go for the open strings, and save the pinkie for development purposes http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Cheers,

Rob

Dfyngravity
Feb-25-2004, 11:01am
I think it is all personal preference, and the type of music you play. If you play mostly bluegrass then you can get away with not using the 7th fret, like when your playing fiddle tunes and what not. However, I feel if you get acustomed to using the 7th fret than you can explore many other types of music. I play a lot of classical and jazz, and I tell you what, the positions are really different compared to playing bluegrass. Although, when there is more than one way to do things I always think you should go with what you feel comfortable with, and maybe practice the other ways too because it will make you a better player in the long run. I know when I first started out and I would go to jam sessions I used the open strings all the time, but as time went on and I practiced I started using different positions to play in. So if I were you and I wanted to become a better player I would practice both ways(using and not using the 7th fret) and then I would move it to another position further up the neck where you use absolutley no open strings. This will definitly make you a better player. Just practice, practice, practice and it will become second nature.