PDA

View Full Version : A. Stathopoulo Bouzouki

filmmaker
Mar-14-2012, 9:08am
I recently purchased an early A. Stathopoulo Bouzouki instrument at a local estate auction. I am looking for any helpful information or value to the piece. I have searched online and have found very few results. I uploaded detailed photos of the Bouzouki at:

www.photobucket.com/stathopoulo

If anyone with helpful information can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for your time,

Sincerely
BEN

jmac1585@gmail.com

filmmaker
Mar-14-2012, 9:10am
www.photobucket.com/Stathopoulo

Jake Wildwood
Mar-14-2012, 9:30am
Ugh -- looks like a very poor "repair" to the top. Here's a link to another of his zouks:

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Banjos/Stathopoulo/4613/Bouzouki.html

FYI, his efforts later turned into the Epiphone company (no relation to the modern brand, which is only a brand).

As far as value... you can sure bet that it's been quite devalued by the hack-job "repairs," bad neck joint or warped neck, and general abuse.

Jim Garber
Mar-14-2012, 9:41am
That needs some serious work to make it playable or even presentable. It looks like the binding melted or something. And, as Jake said, neck needs to be straightened or it needs a neck set. Finish is funky but that is the least of it.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-14-2012, 9:51am
Stathopoulo as in House of?

filmmaker
Mar-14-2012, 10:01am
This site has been helpful for me to identify it as A. Stathopoulo Bouzouki. I believe it is "In House of"
I appreciate all the helpful information thus far.
The neck seems to be straight but the picture was taken at an angle.

Jake Wildwood
Mar-14-2012, 11:02am
This site has been helpful for me to identify it as A. Stathopoulo Bouzouki. I believe it is "In House of"
I appreciate all the helpful information thus far.
The neck seems to be straight but the picture was taken at an angle.

The neck is not at its proper angle at all, even if it actually is "straight" down its length. Note how high the strings are off the fretboard higher up the neck... that's not natural and that bridge appears pretty low to begin with.