PDA

View Full Version : Repair help

Phil1580
Mar-13-2012, 12:18am
Hi guys....this is a repair question for an acoustic guitar, but I definitely don't know of a guitar forum as intelligent or as helpful as the cafe! Plus this guitar is in perfectly playable shape....if I could get it repaired I could try to unload it toward the Loar I wanna get. :)

It's an Ovation Celebrity acoustic/electric (Model CS257) that was my gigging guitar for years until I got my Taylor, and it shows now. :( The binding has split in one spot, and now the top is slightly separating from the composite bowl. Is there a specific glue or bond that would be good to use here? Seeing as how it is not my primary guitar anymore, I don't really want to sink $$$ into getting it professionaly fixed if I don't have to. (If indeed this CAN be fixed.) Images below, any and all advice appreciated.

G7MOF
Mar-13-2012, 4:30am
I did a similar repair to mine using an Apoxy Resin, this holds the composite to the wood and binding.

Ray(T)
Mar-13-2012, 5:21am
I think G7MOF means "Epoxy" resin and, whilst I'd prefer gaffer tape myself, an old mate of mine built several fibreglass backed guitars about 20 years ago and fixed the tops to the backs with epoxy. .... just don't try to get them apart again!

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-13-2012, 7:05am
Try 'dry clamping' (no glue) it to see if everything will sit back together properly first. If it does,then i think that clear Epoxy Resin (Araldite) would work fine. Just make sure that any clamps aren't touching any glue that oozes out,
Ivan

Folkmusician.com
Mar-13-2012, 11:37am
This is one of the few cases where Epoxy is the correct adhesive (normally we would be screaming for hide glue on a standard mandolin). :)

MikeEdgerton
Mar-13-2012, 11:42am
Epoxy is indeed the glue of choice for these. There was a website that had an entire article on re-topping one of these. I can't find it right now.